Mists of Madness (SPOILER ALERT)

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Mists of Madness (SPOILER ALERT)

Post by Belares »

I was wondering about the Shambling Horrors: Grave breath? In the module it says they all try to disarm the PCs then use Grave Breath...ok where can i find it!! LOL

Also do you think the roll a save every hour for the Curse of Skoulus is a little too much? I can understand maybe every 12 hours or extended rest, but every hour seems like a lot. The would be guy who has the idol may not have made it back to Punjar..hehe. Of course you want them to go get uncursed :twisted:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Mists of Madness (SPOILER ALERT)

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ultimately, it should progress "at the speed of plot," but extended rest is a good compromise. In playtest the group blew through the adventure without repprecussion, so we upped it to every hour.

And Grave Breath ... another hold over from editing. :oops: Use the stat block as indicated.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

Thanks Harley. Great adventure BTW! The Shambling horrors was a non-issue as they went the other way. The curse was fun but the guy who was cursed made a lot of saves. We had a new guy come in and he was chasing Ursala for cursing him 3 days before and showed up just after she was killed by the group. He had a few good curse effects on him and 1 i made up was a sweet smell that attracted the bugs...he thought it was just his good cologne! Punjar is still abuzz about the group coming in from the swamp naked with only a few items...none were clothes though. LOL
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Belares wrote:Punjar is still abuzz about the group coming in from the swamp naked with only a few items...none were clothes though. LOL
Ah, if I had a nickel every time I had to leave the swamp without clothes.....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Love ya, Ogre.

Belares: I know how Ogre lost his clothes. How did your PCs lose theirs?

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Dang! I thought I paid her enough not to talk.... :oops:
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

Harley Stroh wrote:

Belares: I know how Ogre lost his clothes. How did your PCs lose theirs?

//H
They didnt find the secret entrance in the cave. They went the way were all equipment was lost and didnt find any in the last fight. They did find almost all the magic items (found everything expect the magic wand) and got out with most of them. They did find one of the characters weapons i think but nothing else, didnt have time. When the whole place was collapsing they decided being alive was more important than clothes. They are fresh and ready now to take on the Beggar King so we will see how that goes.
Sir Brown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Brown »

I'm currently on the last part of running the mists of madness. Although it in my DM ing has been re edited mainly to do with the size of my party of 2 players, so I had to limit some monsters. Also I had to remove the slime beast sadly :( but non the less they did well killed off the cultist grope and the ogre body guard to the female cultist.
Make Love & War Come on theres Death Both ways AH HA HA HA HA HA
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Sir Brown wrote:...the cultist grope...

Ahhhhhhhh, yes....the old cultist grope.

Often found in swamps, not far from where your clothes are.
Sir Brown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Brown »

Opps :shock:

i ment group :lol:
Make Love & War Come on theres Death Both ways AH HA HA HA HA HA
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Longest delay before a double-take ever.... :lol:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Burchard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Burchard »

So I'm gearing up to run a new party through this adventure this weekend and I've had a difficult time figuring out the conclusion. Assuming the party collapses the ceiling, how, exactly, do they get out? They were teleported to the chamber and I see an exit on the west wall of S-12. Where does it lead? I'm assuming not directly to the surface. Maybe Harley can give a little insight so I can give my party a realistic chance of escape.
Also, what is the likelihood of recovering their stuff? Sounds like pretty much 0%! This is better than a rust monster! ;)

Brandon
Author: Soloquest series of adventures by Kenzer & Co.
Need a new gaming song? Check out Fourth Level Fighter. Lyrics/bass by me. Vocals/guitars/drums by my buddy, Aaron. Download it and spread the word!
Burchard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Burchard »

The party made it through the Mists of Madness tonight. It was a close call. By the time they arrived at the final room, they had no healing surges, no weapons, and none had more than 18 hit points. The battle with the shades took place moments before and was particularly cruel.

The party did well against Malikai and Skoulos and I was impressed with their ideas and ingenuity. Ultimately they destroyed the phylactery, but the possibility of collapsing the chamber was also debated.

The highlight for me, as DM, was the false pit trap. The party had the goliath fighter jump first and they tied a rope around his waist for safety. Well, it pulled the character holding the other end of the rope into the exposed pit trap and left the Goliath exactly 40' down in the chute, or PRECISELY where the Ochre Jelly was lurking. It dropped right onto the goliath's face and he flailed around in the darkness wondering what in the nine hells was going on! Finally, he cut the rope and slid down, jelly and all!

Priceless.
Author: Soloquest series of adventures by Kenzer & Co.
Need a new gaming song? Check out Fourth Level Fighter. Lyrics/bass by me. Vocals/guitars/drums by my buddy, Aaron. Download it and spread the word!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Burchard wrote:The highlight for me, as DM, was the false pit trap. The party had the goliath fighter jump first and they tied a rope around his waist for safety. Well, it pulled the character holding the other end of the rope into the exposed pit trap and left the Goliath exactly 40' down in the chute, or PRECISELY where the Ochre Jelly was lurking. It dropped right onto the goliath's face and he flailed around in the darkness wondering what in the nine hells was going on! Finally, he cut the rope and slid down, jelly and all!

Priceless.
And THAT is what D&D is made of. Awesome x 2.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Burchard wrote:Where does it lead? I'm assuming not directly to the surface. Maybe Harley can give a little insight so I can give my party a realistic chance of escape.

Also, what is the likelihood of recovering their stuff? Sounds like pretty much 0%! This is better than a rust monster! ;)

Brandon
Brandon,

Sorry. I've been away in Wyoming fixing windmills for my parents. (Seriously. :) ) Just for the sake of completeness, let me go back through the original and see if I wrote where the heck the PCs end up if they teleport out. :shock:

//H

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”