Level Up

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Level Up

Post by Count Zero »

Just wanted to say nice job on Issue 1 of Level Up! I just received it in the mail today and while I haven't read it cover to cover yet, the things I did read I really enjoyed. A Picture Tells 1,000 Words is a terrific idea. I think we've all done that with a picture at some point. The mag is jam-packed with content; I'm glad I got a subscription. Here's to many more...
8)
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
dmteacher
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by dmteacher »

Just had a quick question. When will Level Up Magazine be available in the Game Stores? Also how can I find a store near me that will be carrying it? I have called 4 stores in my area and only one store did they think they may have ordered the magazine.

Thanks
sgstyrsky
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sgstyrsky »

Got my copy in the mail last week.

It's an awesome magazine chock full to bursting with crunchy and fluffy goodness. It's hard to believe it only costs 2 bucks!

Great job, guys!
My 4e work:

The Book of Rituals
Goodman Games

Warlock Pacts
Adamant Entertainment

The Iron Gazetteer
Open Design
adventurer1971
Gongfarmer

Post by adventurer1971 »

I got my copy of Level Up last week in the mail and I have to say it's really great. So much useful information for either a DM or a player. The articles were well written and it was hard to put down. Great job! I can't wait to see what your next issue has.

L
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

adventurer1971 wrote:I got my copy of Level Up last week in the mail and I have to say it's really great. So much useful information for either a DM or a player. The articles were well written and it was hard to put down. Great job! I can't wait to see what your next issue has.

L
Thanks. Glad you're enjoying the magazine.

As for next issue, I'll utter only this cryptic phrase:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Make of that what you will. :twisted:

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Blackdirge wrote:Cthulhu Crawl Classics
*Hastily grabs the phone to call FLGS and reserve a copy of #2*

*Drops phone on foot and, in pain, careens into desk*

*Knocks desk over, with whole bunches of work and projects and stuff on it and in it, which spills into a meaningless jumble of random information and ideas*

*Manages to find phone again*

*Calls FLGS to reserve copy*

*Sits happily, with goofy, half-brained smile on his face amid wreckage*

...Totally worth it.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Lol!!!!
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Blackdirge wrote: As for next issue, I'll utter only this cryptic phrase:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Now that's just wrong. When is the next issue coming out? :D
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blackdirge wrote:Cthulhu Crawl Classics
I am in pain until I receive this issue. :evil:
krate
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by krate »

First off, thank you GG for putting out Level Up. It is an awesome magazine crammed with DnD goodness! An adventure, new feats, paragon paths, dinos, a god of war, and---Man! It's got everything but the kitchen sink in there!
Great Job!
The bad? Now i have to wait for the next issue! How long til i see the new issue with Cthulhu? Man.. the wait is torture!
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Count Zero wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

The next issue is out in July. I'll post a table of contents and the cover for LU02 in the next week or so.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Blackdirge wrote:
Count Zero wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

The next issue is out in July. I'll post a table of contents and the cover for LU02 in the next week or so.

BD

Right on, thanks. I know its probably way too early to tell but has their been talk of going monthly or bi-monthly? I'm sure it depends on sales and manpower, but I'm just curious. I told my group that the only things allowed in my campaign are official WotC material and Goodman Games material. :)
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Blackdirge wrote:
Count Zero wrote:

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

BD
Count Zero wrote:Right on, thanks. I know its probably way too early to tell but has their been talk of going monthly or bi-monthly? I'm sure it depends on sales and manpower, but I'm just curious.

No talk of changing the format yet. The first issue is only a few weeks old, and that's certainly not enough time to gather any significant sales data. I would guess that we'll need to see at least an entire year of sales before we can think about changing the format.
Count Zero wrote:I told my group that the only things allowed in my campaign are official WotC material and Goodman Games material. :)
What, no Blackdirge Publishing material allowed? No Critter Cache? :D

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Blackdirge wrote:
Blackdirge wrote: What, no Blackdirge Publishing material allowed? No Critter Cache? :D

BD
Well yeah, but that stuff is for me. :twisted:
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

There's a review of Level Up over at the Flames Rising horror webzine. Check it out, if you want to hear the impressions of someone with no connection to the writers/editor of this magazine. :)
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Storyteller
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Storyteller »

I just got done reading the first issue of Level Up from cover to cover and I have to add myself to the list of gamers who are very happy with this publication. I love PDFs but sometimes I just want to walk away from my computer to a nice, sunny spot on the other side of the house with a magazine in hand. Since it has been some time since the Dragon and Dungeon conversion I made a point of doing just that with Level Up.

Man this mag is packed full of goodness. Great articles, good system contributions (monsters and templates were great but the paragon paths needed some work) and fun art. Two thumbs up!

I know Vincent (Flames Rising reviewer) had a problem with the colors but I did not miss them. The format of each power description tells us what kind of power it is so the colors aren't necessary. AND, as the book is black and white, and I was very happy with the issue... I broke out the color pencils and started coloring the art in the book. Sometimes it is good to just be a kid again (and I am old enough to have 3 kids of my own).

One question... Page 17, Probing Shot... Flavor Text... Your first shot uncovers a weakness in your opponent's defenses, and each shot thereafter takes advantages of it.

Sounds good but is the Dex +2 the bonus that represents the 'takes advantage of it' part? If one reads the flavor text as 'this' attack as the Probing Attack then I would think an effect like '+2 to hit that opponent until the end of your next turn' would be more appropriate (or maybe until the end of the encounter, being a level 20 attack and all). I need to compare this power to other Level 20 attacks but it seems woefully underpowered for some reason. Your thoughts?

All in all, though, it is a very good first issue and I am looking forward to the rest.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Storyteller wrote:I just got done reading the first issue of Level Up from cover to cover and I have to add myself to the list of gamers who are very happy with this publication. I love PDFs but sometimes I just want to walk away from my computer to a nice, sunny spot on the other side of the house with a magazine in hand. Since it has been some time since the Dragon and Dungeon conversion I made a point of doing just that with Level Up.

Man this mag is packed full of goodness. Great articles, good system contributions (monsters and templates were great but the paragon paths needed some work) and fun art. Two thumbs up!

I know Vincent (Flames Rising reviewer) had a problem with the colors but I did not miss them. The format of each power description tells us what kind of power it is so the colors aren't necessary. AND, as the book is black and white, and I was very happy with the issue... I broke out the color pencils and started coloring the art in the book. Sometimes it is good to just be a kid again (and I am old enough to have 3 kids of my own).

One question... Page 17, Probing Shot... Flavor Text... Your first shot uncovers a weakness in your opponent's defenses, and each shot thereafter takes advantages of it.

Sounds good but is the Dex +2 the bonus that represents the 'takes advantage of it' part? If one reads the flavor text as 'this' attack as the Probing Attack then I would think an effect like '+2 to hit that opponent until the end of your next turn' would be more appropriate (or maybe until the end of the encounter, being a level 20 attack and all). I need to compare this power to other Level 20 attacks but it seems woefully underpowered for some reason. Your thoughts?

All in all, though, it is a very good first issue and I am looking forward to the rest.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the magazine.

As for probing shot, it looks like the bottom half of that power was cut off. The bottom portion should read:

Effect: For the rest of the encounter, when you make a ranged basic attack against the target, the damage inflicted by the attack increases by 1[W].

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

A little late to the party here, but I'd also like to throw in a "great job!". I just picked up my copy from my local game store...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

fathead wrote:A little late to the party here, but I'd also like to throw in a "great job!". I just picked up my copy from my local game store...
Thanks!

Be sure to let us know which features you liked and what kind of content you'd like to see in the future.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Storyteller
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Storyteller »

Blackdirge wrote:As for probing shot, it looks like the bottom half of that power was cut off. The bottom portion should read:

Effect: For the rest of the encounter, when you make a ranged basic attack against the target, the damage inflicted by the attack increases by 1[W].

BD
Okay, I will pencil that in. Thanks! :)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

dmteacher wrote:Just had a quick question. When will Level Up Magazine be available in the Game Stores? Also how can I find a store near me that will be carrying it? I have called 4 stores in my area and only one store did they think they may have ordered the magazine.
Hopefully you found it at your local stores by now. If not, let me know which stores are having trouble getting it and I'll take care of it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

My LGS should have it by now, but he was saying he was having trouble getting it because the demand was bigger than the supply? Is that true Joe? If so, congratulations! Sounds like you have a winner right out of the gates!

I'll be going to my LGS in a few hours, hopefully my copies will be in.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

He still hasn't gotten my copies in! WTH!?!?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Several distributors have sold out. If he's waiting on copies from Alliance, he's out of luck. Send me his contact info and I'll give him a call to make sure he's able to get copies.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

goodmangames wrote:Several distributors have sold out. If he's waiting on copies from Alliance, he's out of luck. Send me his contact info and I'll give him a call to make sure he's able to get copies.

http://national.citysearch.com/profile/ ... games.html

Return to “4E Products”