GenCon 2009

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

GenCon 2009

Post by Hamakto »

Can you believe... it is only 6 3/4 months away?

Is it too early to get excited?

Never!!!!

The Goodman Games DCC Tourney is calling out to everyone!

I just wanted to start to get everyone fired up and to say that the Blood Kings will be back to try to win the DCC again. Who is going to join us in the up and coming murder and meyhem?

Can the wonderful people at GG start to feed us general ideas for the tourney? Just some bits and pieces to get the blood flowing?

For those of us who are not really playing 4e, we will need time to prepare for the tourney. So if you could at lease let us know the approximate level ranges that we will be dealing with for the DCC? Heroic or Paragon... I doubt epic as we only have 4 hours of playing time. And mabe lower or upper part of those tiers? (example: Lower Paragon (11-14), Middle Paragon (13-17), or High Paragon (16-20))

Or maybe we can talk someone into doing a monthy update on what is coming? Maybe a back story?

GenCon is a long ways away and it is going to kill me to wait that long without any input!!!
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: GenCon 2009

Post by Jengenritz »

Sure, I'll throw out a bone...

ONE: The Year Six Tournament is going to for 14th level characters.

...eh, I'll make it two bones...

TWO: Team size has been increased to FIVE members.
Hamakto wrote:Or maybe we can talk someone into doing a monthy update on what is coming? Maybe a back story?
Interesting...that actually might kinda work this year of all years...
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

One day I will make it to GenCon, one day. :P
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Jengenritz wrote:Sure, I'll throw out a bone...
After the tournament is over, there'll be lots o' bones ... adventurer bones, that is. :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Dark Lord Maffei wrote:After the tournament is over, there'll be lots o' bones ... adventurer bones, that is.
Skulls for the Skull Throne, my friend.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hamakto wrote: Can the wonderful people at GG start to feed us general ideas for the tourney? Just some bits and pieces to get the blood flowing?
Let me look...

:fathead shakes his crystal ball

My guess is that they'll be running the tournament that they've already written (and had intended to run).

Here ya go, compliments of the GenCon 2008 event excel files:

Years ago, four young heroes defied the God of War to save their home. In return they were cursed to never know peace: friends betray them, family forsakes them, and agents of the Warbringer stalk them. Now, the heroes think they've found a way to break the curse: by performing three impossible tasks they'll earn the favor of three greater gods. But the Warbringer is not easily thwarted...

The only difference is that I would change "four young heroes" to "five young heroes".
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Jengenritz wrote:Sure, I'll throw out a bone...

ONE: The Year Six Tournament is going to for 14th level characters.

...eh, I'll make it two bones...

TWO: Team size has been increased to FIVE members.
Hamakto wrote:Or maybe we can talk someone into doing a monthy update on what is coming? Maybe a back story?
*bows down in thanks*

The addition of a fifth member means that we need to recruit another one of our players into the Blood Kings. Thank you for the heads up! It is time to put the rest of our friends through the Tomb of Horrors... last person standing gets the last slot...

*evil laugh*
Andy
Blood Kings
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Jengenritz wrote:
Hey... its Feb now.

*hint* *hint*

*ducks*
Andy
Blood Kings
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Hamakto wrote:
Jengenritz wrote:
Hey... its Feb now.

*hint* *hint*

*ducks*
*bump*
Andy
Blood Kings
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Haven't forgotten, just got wrapped up with LAST year's manuscript, my annual week-long camping trip, and some stuff I can't talk about yet.

By next Wednesday, I'll post a new thread that gives out some backstory to the Year Six Tournament.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

OK, and here you go.

Up at the top is a stickied-and-locked thread that will go into the backstory of this year's DCC Open Tournament...this is merely going to be an expansion of the information the heroes will already know at the beginning of the tourney.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Nice. I like what I'm seeing so far.

On another note...the dark oracle was wrong. Curses! *shakes his fist at the sky*
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Nice start to the background thread. And knowing what else is coming, all I can add is ... MUAHAHAHAHA!!
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Part two is up.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

fathead wrote:My guess is that they'll be running the tournament that they've already written (and had intended to run).
That tournament - Test of the Gods - will see print in a slightly-different form. The print copy of Warbringer's Son (when it comes out) contains some behind-the-scenes info on why the tournament changed.

Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

So, having no experience w/ GenCon previously... what exactly is involved w/ the Goodman Games portion of the GenCon? I see you mentioning teams. Is it a gladiator type of event? Just curious mainly. I live in Portland and I'm not entirely certain I'll be going to this, but ya' never know, so I thought I'd get some info.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Vellen wrote:So, having no experience w/ GenCon previously... what exactly is involved w/ the Goodman Games portion of the GenCon? I see you mentioning teams. Is it a gladiator type of event? Just curious mainly. I live in Portland and I'm not entirely certain I'll be going to this, but ya' never know, so I thought I'd get some info.
The toruney is the highpoint of the Convention!

No seriously!

GG puts on one of the best run and most challenging tournaments at the convention. Please note that I said challenging! The modules are not easy to complete and challenge a wide variety of your skills. It takes a well rounded group of characters and players to complete.

For the last two years, our group (Blood Kings) ended up winning the tourney. We usually bring anywhere between 7 to 10 people to tourney every year (most play in our regular DnD campaign). Two years ago, we had so many people wanting to play in the GG tourney, we rolled dice to get the team assigned. Well, when you are at the mercy of the dice gods... you have to trust them!

We ended up with a group that brought a wide range of skills to the table: A rules lawyer (would any group be complete without one), an organizer, an off the wall idea man, and a calcualted risk taker. This combination has worked well for us for the tourney because we end up someone who can be counted on to have an idea for every situation.

Pure individual knowledge is not enough to win the tourney, but how you work together is the key. Well... a little luck from the dice gods helps your chances!

This year is going to be different because they are increasing the size from four to five members. This is going to change the dynamic group when we add another person.

No matter what, this will be the highpoint of the convention for our gaming group!

Hamakto
Andy
Blood Kings
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Jengenritz wrote:OK, and here you go.

Up at the top is a stickied-and-locked thread that will go into the backstory of this year's DCC Open Tournament...this is merely going to be an expansion of the information the heroes will already know at the beginning of the tourney.
Thank you for the write-up. Can you add the other tidbits to the stickied posts...

like:

14th level characters
5 player groups

Thank you again!

Hamakto
Andy
Blood Kings
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:
fathead wrote:My guess is that they'll be running the tournament that they've already written (and had intended to run).
That tournament - Test of the Gods - will see print in a slightly-different form. The print copy of Warbringer's Son (when it comes out) contains some behind-the-scenes info on why the tournament changed.
Speaking of which...when does Warbringer's Son see print?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Vellen wrote:So, having no experience w/ GenCon previously... what exactly is involved w/ the Goodman Games portion of the GenCon? I see you mentioning teams. Is it a gladiator type of event? Just curious mainly. I live in Portland and I'm not entirely certain I'll be going to this, but ya' never know, so I thought I'd get some info.
Vellen,

This is how the tournament works - you assemble a team of players, pick characters (provided by Goodman Games), and play. There are 3 rounds - 8 teams advance to round 2, and 3 teams advance to the finals. Points are scored based on tactics, solving puzzles, avoiding traps, and defeating encounters. The best way to get a feel for the tournament would be to pick up one of the past tournament modules, listed here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/tournaments.html

The tournament that we're talking about is the Dungeon Crawl Classics tournament.

If you do decide to attend GenCon...it's an absolute blast. Truly. A word of caution though - make sure to purchase your tickets online on the first day that they are available. Many popular events will sell out (the DCC tournament sells out within hours).

Hope that helps.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

OK, the ten-part teaser for the 2009 tournament is finished.
This one is shaping up nicely. We even got Clan Yeoman to playtest for us (sadly, they won't be able to compete this year), so you can expect extra helpings of bloodshed and deviousness!

You can view the teaser here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =20&t=5271

And you can view our announcement looking for tournament Judges here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =20&t=6193

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:We even got Clan Yeoman to playtest for us (sadly, they won't be able to compete this year), so you can expect extra helpings of bloodshed and deviousness!
For this first time in 5 years, I can finally join in on the pre-tournament maniacal laughter. So, without further ado...

Mwaahaaaaaahhhaaaaahhaaa!!!
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”