A magic items book in the future by chance?

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

A magic items book in the future by chance?

Post by Vellen »

You guys have certainly came up with some interesting items in the past and I'm certain in the future. I was curious if these items have a shot at being compiled into a book all their own, much like compiling all your monsters in a manual, ect. If there is already said item, sorry for being redundant and please point me in the right direction.

I ask this, because we've had a few confusions about items in recent history. The current question is about the Cloak of Malison from Dragora's Dungeon (as an eladrin rogue who got this, I love, love, love it. it's like a second fey step w/ CA). It says that it's +1 (for fort/reflex/will, like all/most neck slot items) but later at the end of the module when the new items are all brought up, there is no plus tier for the item, or any note that it is at all + anything. The same can be said about the Snake Staff for that matter. I assume that they are both indeed +1 just not mentioned later as they aren't going to be +2 or the like, as you'll only find them in this module. I would still like to know their progression (basically, what lvl +1 is so that I can determine how much gold/ect it will take to bring it up to +2). I was curious if these could be addressed, if even in an email or reply on here. Thanks so much guys, great work thus far! Looking forward to future books!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: A magic items book in the future by chance?

Post by goodmangames »

Harley and Aeryn can best address your specific magic item question, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on a magic item book. We talked about it, particularly at D&D Experience when speaking with gamers there, but got the impression that the Adventurers Vault filled that niche already. In your opinion, what could we do for magic items that Adventurers Vault hasn't already done?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

Well, I have really enjoyed the items you've incorporated into the games I've played thus far. I've only played Sellswords of Punjar and Dragora's Dungeon to date. I was mainly thinking an iconic collection of items that are unique to your products perhaps. In Dragora's Dungeon alone there were three new items (cloak of malison, snake staff, helm of the dread lord). I'm not certain how many Sellswords had, or prior adventures before that, but I imagine there are plenty of items you could collect from your 50+ D&D modules. Perhaps convert those of which you could into a 4E adaptation. I also know that there are some items that have paired items (Felis and Whisker) and the like. I guess it might not be the best item as all those magic items are technically already out in print via your modules. It was just an idea I had while trying to resolve the question with the items previously mentioned. Thanks for the very quick reply. You guys rock w/ the customer service I've noticed (from other posts). What would be the best way to have Harley or Aeryn reply to that previous question?

Lovin' what I've seen thus far, looking forward to Level Up and future modules. Oh, I've also picked up the Character Codex for my particular character who's trompin' around Punjar and that neighborhood.
MatthewJHanson
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by MatthewJHanson »

I don't know about the specifics of Dragora's Dungeons, but in general in 4e a magic item gains a +1 for every five levels of the item. So if the cloak is level 3 with a +1, it would be level 8 with a +2, level 13 with a +3 etc. You can then compare it with other items of the same level to find the price.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Matthew's right, but I'll try to post a true (though unedited!) write up tomorrow night.

(Need to take care of some other business in Punjar first, though. Busy place, that city.)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

Well you can't create such a richly corrupt city in the veins of "The City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes" (Lankhmar) and not expect all of us fans of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser to flock. I'm certain we all are anxious for any more details you might send our way. I know I personally became VERY jazzed about playing in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign that has a very similar feel to the old Fritz Leiber and Robert E. Howards books. It's certainly added such a vivid (albeit dubious) mental imagery for my particular group (or to the very lesser extent my envisions of Punjar). I think that all coupled w/ my DM's addition of Elric aspects (at least as far as his Eladrin are concerned) this is going to be a very enjoyable campaign. Thank you all for the great work you've done thus far. Keep it up!
Last edited by Vellen on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

For Vellen:

First up, Felis from Sellswords of Punjar ...

Felis Lvl 4+
The slender poniard is sharpened to a needle’s point, and glints softly in the shadow. The scarred crosspiece is forged in the shape of two cat’s claws, and the pommel is wrapped in leather, blackened from years of use. The weapon sits with an easy weight in your hand, eager to spring the attack or defense.

Lvl 4 +1 880 gp
Lvl 9 +2 4,080 gp
Lvl 14 +3 20,400 gp
Lvl 19 +4 102,000 gp
Lvl 24 +5 510,000 gp
Levl 29 +6 2,550,000 gp

Weapon: Light Blade
Enhancement: Attack and damage rolls
Critial: +1d6 damage per plus, or 1d8 damage per plus if you have combat advantage
Power (Daily): Minor Action. You have combat advantage against the next creature you attack with this weapon on this turn.
Special: When wielded alongside Whisker, Felis grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the wielder’s AC.

====

Now, in retrospect, I'm worried that the +2 bonus is too powerful, but I had to abide by what I wrote up for Sellswords. (It probably would have been better if written as "When wielded alongside Whisker, and the wielder has combat advantage, Felis grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the wielder’s AC.") We probably won't know if that power is broken or not until comparing it to the other magic item sets due to come out in PHB2. But for the record, Goodman Games did 4E magic items sets first. :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

Exciting. Thank you for fleshing out one of three (primarily in my regards, at least) items I've been curious about. Waitin' with baited breath for Cloak of Malison and Whisker! Thanks for taking the time on this Harley!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I'll drop in the cloak tonight, but I might have to leave Whisker out until you discover it. I'd hate to give away any surprises your DM might have in mind. :)

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Cloak of the Malison Lvl 4+
This snakeskin cloak shimmers in dim light, and makes soft, slithering noises when the wearer moves.

Lvl 4 +1 1,250 gp
Lvl 9 +2 4,500 gp
Lvl 14 +3 23,000 gp
Lvl 19 +4 110,000 gp
Lvl 21 +5 237,000 gp
Lvl 26 +6 1,200,000 gp

Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Relfex and Will
Power (Daily): Move Action. Teleport up to 5 squares; gain CA against one adjacent enemy.
Level 14 or 19: 8 squares
Level 21 or 26: 11 squares

//H
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Typos

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Also, I will get to Snake Staff and the Horned Helm.

Thank goodness I'm becoming a better 4E writer.
Vellen wrote:I think that all coupled w/ my DM's addition of Elric aspects (at least as far as his Eladrin are concerned) this is going to be a very enjoyable campaign.
Your DM is a smart cookie. Tell him to thumb through Curse of the Kingspire if he happens to see it in the game store. It is right along those same Eladrin/Elric lines.

//H

Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

Aye, fully concur on Whisker... and it's not clear as of yet IF I'll be finding it in the future. I have to plead my case to the rest of the crew to back me in my search (we've a lot of business in Punjar, thus they might not want to detour from there if that ends up being the case). Either way, Felis and the Cloak being detailed helps immensely as is. Whenever you have time for the Staff and Helm post them, but I don't believe they're really being used currently (so less need at the moment). Once Whisker is uncovered, I'll be back for details! I'll inform the DM ta' take a glance at the Curse of the Kingspire or pick him up a present and just show up w/ it (provided I find it at my local shop, Guardian Games).
Thanks!
V :D
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Well, if it looks like you might be getting close, have your DM drop me a line. It would be good incentive for me to try to update the adventure in question to 4E. :)

And as for Punjar, I can't *wait* to show off what we have coming later this year. The city will come to life in ways seldom before seen.

//H

Vellen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Vellen »

Harley Stroh wrote: Felis Lvl 4+
The slender poniard is sharpened to a needle’s point, and glints softly in the shadow. The scarred crosspiece is forged in the shape of two cat’s claws, and the pommel is wrapped in leather, blackened from years of use. The weapon sits with an easy weight in your hand, eager to spring the attack or defense.
Funny that I had considered naming this dagger "Cat's Claw" when I found it (or Snikersnakt) and later find that it's crosspiece is "in the shape of two cat's claws".

V
Allaric
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Allaric »

I would say for the time being that a magic item book isn't needed. You guys have always made the best dungeons and I plan on checking out your new 4E DCC products after I get my own 4E game rolling this weekend. Modules is what I need as a consumer and in the past the official modules were sub par to your DCC.

Things I would buy:
1. Modules, primarily
2. Power Gamer's Guide to 4E, definitely. I would buy a PG guide like your 3E one with all the details based on GSL only terms. No new stuff please.
3. Aerth 4E setting, possibly. I ran a v3.5 campaign set on Aerth. I went through and made regional feat lists from DCC35 and I enjoyed that product.
4. Monster Manuals, possibly

Things I probably wouldn't buy:
1. Character rules heavy items like Forgotten Heroes. Main reason being they are not compatible with the D&D Character Builder. I was spoiled with HeroForge in v3.5. :) But unlike Heroforge, Builder doesn't like custom things.
2. Background heavy items other than a campaign setting. I have no need for a book on how to role-play elves or how fighters think or extra new fighter powers.

Good Gaming.
-Allaric
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Not a book of magic items but a book of artifacts for all levels of play. Artifacts are the untouched territory in 4E. My self, I would rather give out a few items that do lots, than the bevy of items available

Return to “4E Products”