Converting creatures

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Converting creatures

Post by dunbruha »

More conversions. Note: For these creatures, I didn't really use the ERP rules to build them. I just kind of converted them from thier C&C counterparts. I noted the "average" die-rank to each one, based on its level. For the undead creatures, I wanted them to be kind of scary, so I added the Fear spell (but I didn't want it to be too overwhelming, so I broke the "2-dice" rule for spells). So, consider them with all this in mind...

Skeleton
TY: Fodder (Level 1. Average die-rank: D6)
TR: Melee: Spear -- 1D6 + 1
Arcana: D4 (Fear)
EA: None
HP: 12
RS: 6
BP: D4
Notes: Like all undead, skeletons are horrible to encounter. A skeleton uses its innate Arcana ability to automatically cast the Fear spell on a single target each round. Skeletons take half damage when attacked with slashing or piercing weapons.

Zombie
TY: Fodder (Level 2. Average die-rank: D6)
TR: Melee: Slam -- 1D8 + 2
Arcana: D4 (Fear)
HP: 24
RS: 12
BP: D2
Notes: Like all undead, zombies are horrible to encounter. A zombie uses its innate Arcana ability to automatically cast the Fear spell on a single target each round. Zombies always go last in the round.

Harpy
TY: Standard (Level 3. Average die-rank: D8)
TR: Melee: Claws -- 2D4 + 3
Arcana: D8 > D10 Psychogenic (Dominate)
HP: 24
RS: 24 (magical creature)
BP: D3 (flying D8)
Notes: Harpies can sing a captivating song. When a harpy sings, she uses her Arcana ability to cast the Dominate spell on a single target. If the target succumbs to the spell, the victim walks toward the harpy, then remains motionless, offering no resistance to her attacks.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

One more:

Gelatinous Cube
TY: Level 4 (average die-rank: D8)
TR: Melee: Slam -- 1D4 + 4 (acid damage)
Arcana: D12 + D8 (Paralyze)
HP: 40
RS: 20
BP: D3
Notes: Gelatinous cubes secrete acid that dissolves organic material, but does not affect metal or stone. Any creature that is struck by a gelatinous cube receives paralysis damage to Resilience. Creatures reduced to 0 Resilience as a result of a paralysis attack become paralyzed (a saving roll against Endurance is allowed each round). If a gelatinous cube engulfs a creature, the victim takes maximum damage each round.

Again, not the standard use of Arcana, but I think this is a good way to model the "if it hits, it causes 'X' effect which requires a saving throw" type of creature. Thoughts?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:One more:

Gelatinous Cube
TY: Level 4 (average die-rank: D8)
TR: Melee: Slam -- 1D4 + 4 (acid damage)
Arcana: D12 + D8 (Paralyze)
HP: 40
RS: 20
BP: D3
Notes: Gelatinous cubes secrete acid that dissolves organic material, but does not affect metal or stone. Any creature that is struck by a gelatinous cube receives paralysis damage to Resilience. Creatures reduced to 0 Resilience as a result of a paralysis attack become paralyzed (a saving roll against Endurance is allowed each round). If a gelatinous cube engulfs a creature, the victim takes maximum damage each round.

Again, not the standard use of Arcana, but I think this is a good way to model the "if it hits, it causes 'X' effect which requires a saving throw" type of creature. Thoughts?
I like your adaptation of level into type, that's cool, and it works with the system. The D12+8 threat points reducing Resilience, and then paralysis occurring works too! It breaks no rules.

In fact I bet you could create any monster without regard to a single "formula" in the book and would still find it tough to "break" anything. ;-)

No how about what happens after the cube gets to envelop the victim? Like 1D10 damage straight to toughness per round...

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”