"The Auction" in Cthulhu Casebook

A forum dedicated to our new line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu adventure modules.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

"The Auction" in Cthulhu Casebook

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Has anyone run The Auction? Are there any specific roadblocks (aside from the number of NPCs) that I need to be aware of?

(I know this should be Goodman-product related, but I figure I'll dip my toe in the waters of your collective experinces with Chaosium stuff until December when Death in Luxor arrives.)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: "The Auction" in Cthulhu Casebook

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Has anyone run The Auction? Are there any specific roadblocks (aside from the number of NPCs) that I need to be aware of?
Is that the one that is exactly that, an auction? I remember it seeming a bit thin, unless carefully couched within an ongoing campaign, where I'd expect it to bloom into something fulsome and, well, tentacled....

I'd have to dig out the Casebook if it's not what I'm thinking of, because I have run a random selection of adventures out of my books. When I say 'dig', I mean 'take it down from the shelf when I get home'....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Yeah, it's an auction...but that's the first part of the adventure. The second "phase" involves tracking down a killer/thief, and that's where things get really interesting....

The whole thing, as written, is approximately 6 pages...very short in print.

There are lots of little details and small fiddly bits, sometimes even just a paragraph or sentence, that makes the adventure well-thought-out and (I daresay) multifaceted, though.

I've even considered trying to make the adventure more "pulp-y" but wasn't sure how.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay, so The Auction wasn't what I remembered it to be... in a good way. Probably hadn't read it in a decade. Now I'd like to run it, too. That and the Westchester House adventure, which I'd make back into being about Winchester House. Ah, for a group interested in CoC....

I have run the -- crud, what was the name of it? -- [something or other] From the Past? With a group of fairly-experienced and barely-experienced gamers, it went well.

Sorry, I can't be more help there, OP... :| Go with your gut. :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Age of Cthulhu”