Fifth session experience....

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Fifth session experience....

Post by StormPatriarch »

You got it..Session Number 5! All players are at the game. One player had minor pool loss due to previous encounter.

The PCs decide to have the paladin/knight ready his bow. The mystic warrior and the paladin/ranger decide to hold the doorway together this time against the advancing host. They start mulching the goblin fodder(Regular gobs 6hp) but there are 39 of them. Also 1 under shaman is attacking w/magic at range (2d6). Not gonna go strike by strike here cause there was a lot. After @ 8 rounds, Most of the goblin fodder are dead. 2 under shamans are dead. Left standing is the chief shaman, 3 lieutenants, the Goblin King and @5 gobs fodder when the chief shaman throws a fireball like spell in for the second time. The mystic warrior has no pools left and only 1 toughness. The paladin/ranger has no pools and full toughness left. The paladin/knight is down at -2 toughness. Since the goblins have just gone, the 2 standing PCs slam the door shut and take turns holding it so they can revitalize (First time I have had this option used and it def helped!) and bandage the dying paladin. They then let in 2 goblins(killed them) and caught one in the door as it closed(Used basic melee att and he rolled high enough to kill the goblin---it was very cool!). The 3 lieutenants rush the door next, but only the first 2 make it in. The PCs managed to kill one in the first round and the 2nd in the next. High shaman uses the last of his magic ( Unbeknown to the PCs), to fireball the door. The PCs get tricky and let the door creak open like it had effected them. The last lieutenant and the remaining fodder rush in. Fodder first of course. The PCs slammed the door behind them and then kill them. This left the Goblin King, the high shaman, a shaman and a wounded shaman left. The Goblin King decided to finally get in on the action. He hit the door w/ his great ax. The paladin/ranger took the back of his ax and hit the king's ax ( decided on opposed ADC rolls and the PC got higher barely--Ruled that the Great ax of the king would only do +3 PO harm instead of +4 until repaired). Then the Mystic warrior shoved his katana through the resultant hole in the door. He managed to pink the Goblin King for 2 HP and destroy the door. The PCs move back against the wall and the Goblin King and the 2 shamans (One heavily wounded from an earlier arrow strike) enter the room.

First Round:PCs got the first attack due to movement of Goblins taking up their att. Paladin/ranger faces off against the Goblin King and the mystic warrior goes for the shamans. High Shaman stayed outside the room (No Spell points left and had enough political power to tell the Goblin King that he wasn't going in---Regular shaman do NOT have that option). The mystic warrior hits the one priest hard. The paladin gets 2 decent hits in on the Goblin King. Extra weapons att---paladin gets another decent hit against the Goblin King and mystic warrior kills the wounded shaman.

Second round: Goblin King hits paladin warrior taking him to 3 toughness. Mystic warrior splits attack---Kills other shaman and hits Goblin King. Paladin hits Goblin King. Extra Weapon att--- paladin/ranger hits first taking him to -5 HP. Mystic Warrior finishes his stroke anyway and makes sure he his dead. High shaman (that was watching from the hallway) runs. Mystic warrior and paladin/ranger quickly loot the Goblin King, 2 shamans and the lieutenants. They then pick up the paladin/knight and take off back to town. They do remember about the traps and throw goblin bodies on them (they were reset while they slept). They make it back to town and wake up the local priest for some healing.

Wild time, Def an epic battle. I will have to work out the CS of the encounter VS the player CS to see what the battle odds were. Questions and comments below:

I couldn't remember the rules on maintaining spells and attacking/damage at the time of game and couldn't find a rule that covered it in the book on a quick perusal. The mystic warrior had cast armor on himself for a while. I quick ruled that if he wasn't doing anything and not receiving attacks that he would not need to roll concentration. He would need to roll against a 1d6 if attacking and 2d4 if he was mitigating Po Harm. I now have reread the section and see what it should have been. If he took damage to toughness, He should have rolled his Willpower against the Po Harm that penetrated all defenses. Otherwise no roll was needed. Not sure if maybe a minimal roll should be made for when a character is maintaining a spell and attacking or casting another spell.

The players leveled after this battle. One question was do they have to have a teacher to level up or does experience (Use of skill) cover it all. The rules didn't seem to say on a quick peek.

Also, One character was looking at ambidexterity and wondered if he could be trained in its use? Some fighting styles support the training ambidexterity in use of weapons so I think it should be allowed if it fits the character concept.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Fifth session experience....

Post by dancross »

I'm very curious to know how it stacks up with the CS system...
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dancross wrote:I'm very curious to know how it stacks up with the CS system...
I was working up the numbers for this battle and I see that the Goblin that was on the wiki site is listed as a CS 7 when by the book it should be a 10 (1d6 melee + 1d4 ranged =CS 10). With this in mind the battle listed above was 114 CS for the PCs and 596 CS in enemies. The caveat to this is that tactics allowed them to survive since the goblins couldn't get much in the way of ranged attacks against them (narrow hall) and could not surround them due to the restricted space of the doorway. With those two huge advantages taken away, I think the PCs would have been very dead.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

Hyfaidd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hyfaidd »

Hmmmm, if that last fireball had hit PCs and not the door: the mystic warriorgoes down, and the rander gets to fight 3-4 hile hurt. ie dies. So yes the tactics saved the player group. The giblins were just too many. If they had been able to attack en masse, then a party wipe would be certain.

Oh yeah, otherwise an epic battle.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

StormPatriarch wrote:
I was working up the numbers for this battle and I see that the Goblin that was on the wiki site is listed as a CS 7 when by the book it should be a 10 (1d6 melee + 1d4 ranged =CS 10). With this in mind the battle listed above was 114 CS for the PCs and 596 CS in enemies. The caveat to this is that tactics allowed them to survive since the goblins couldn't get much in the way of ranged attacks against them (narrow hall) and could not surround them due to the restricted space of the doorway. With those two huge advantages taken away, I think the PCs would have been very dead.
Were they wearing armor? When I last ran a combat with goblins, they died very quickly (1 attack each from 1st-level PCs). Then I realized that they were wearing leather armor, so I used a D6 armor reduction for them. They lasted a lot longer (2-3 attacks each). Perhaps the CS should reflect the wearing of armor...
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote: Perhaps the CS should reflect the wearing of armor...
I'm not sure. CS is supposed to predict lethality, not so much longevity. At what point those two factors begin to significantly affect each other, I'm not entirely sure. It makes sense that "the longer it lasts the more harm it can inflict", but then CS is used to determine numbers encountered, and the favor is always stacked toward the PCs.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:
Were they wearing armor? When I last ran a combat with goblins, they died very quickly (1 attack each from 1st-level PCs). Then I realized that they were wearing leather armor, so I used a D6 armor reduction for them. They lasted a lot longer (2-3 attacks each). Perhaps the CS should reflect the wearing of armor...
I thought Goblins as fodder did not get bonuses from armor or weapons?

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

Hyfaidd wrote:Hmmmm, if that last fireball had hit PCs and not the door: the mystic warriorgoes down, and the rander gets to fight 3-4 hile hurt. ie dies. So yes the tactics saved the player group. The giblins were just too many. If they had been able to attack en masse, then a party wipe would be certain.

Oh yeah, otherwise an epic battle.
I never thought you all would stand and fight out in the open. If you had though, I was prepared to be killed when all the PCs died. :lol:

dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

StormPatriarch wrote: I thought Goblins as fodder did not get bonuses from armor or weapons?
Armor, yes, if wearing it. Weapons, no.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dancross wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote: I thought Goblins as fodder did not get bonuses from armor or weapons?
Armor, yes, if wearing it. Weapons, no.
Well that would have been an Oops on my part if they had been wearing armor...Thankfully the fodder wasn't!

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”