Barroom Ballads

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Barroom Ballads

Post by mythfish »

I don't get over to the main page much, and I just found the Barroom Ballads web enhancement for PC Pearls. It's brilliant, and I love it. I want more.

I recognize "Wyvern Riding", but are the other two based on actual songs as well?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Barroom Ballads

Post by gargoyle »

That is awesome! I put a lot of easter eggs in my writing and love it when someone gets one!

I based Wyvern Riding on a 19th century Canadian stevedore work song... of unknown origin... I even put the name of the band to make the song popular in the 90's in the body of the lyrics.

I will check with the other author if he was inspired or original...
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

gargoyle wrote: I even put the name of the band to make the song popular in the 90's in the body of the lyrics.
Ha, so you did. I missed that.

"Donkey Riding" was popular with Canadian and Liverpool timber drivers, and is based on an earlier shanty from Scotland called "Hieland Laddie", which in turn was based on a Scottish marching tune of the same name. Thank you for providing me with this sea shanty geek-out moment. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

Thank you for noticing!
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

I asked Russ Brown and here is his reply:

"No Easter Eggs in the ballads I wrote. They're just original ramblings.
The drinking bits and slamming mugs in Denan's arm are loosely based on
what happens when they play Wild Rover in British pubs."
Greg Oppedisano

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”