New DCCs Announced

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

New DCCs Announced

Post by frank5471uk »

I see that the release schedule for the DCC line for the rest of the year has been announced.

I am really looking forward to the three 4th level dungeons (DCCs 56, 57 and 58), especially Chris Doyles Xulmec adventure. I really want to see more adventures set in the Southlands and Lostlands.

I am afraid though that I have overdosed on 4e 1st level dungeons, so the announcement of DCC59 (sorry Harley, I am sure it'll be your usual peerless effort) and the new compilation (In Search of Adventure containing 6 1st level adventures) does nothing for me.

To be honest I am surprised that of your first 14 4e adventures published in 2008, Goodmans Games decided to make 11 of them 1st level (and nothing above 4th).

Please don't take the above comment as harsh criticism. I am sure that all 14 adventures will be great, it is just an odd mix of levels. The players in my group (we have been playing 4e for about 3 months now and we swap DMs) now have about 3 characters each, ranging from 2nd to 4th level. By November, they will be crying out for 6th+ level adventures and I still won't have any DCCs to offer them.

Here's hoping for a strong glut of mid-level dungeons in the new year. Take care and keep that quality high :)

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: New DCCs Announced

Post by Harley Stroh »

No worries, Frank we won't disappoint you. "Your" DCC is in line to be edited as we speak. There are 3+ adventures on my desktop and none of them are for low level PCs. I'm working hard to get caught up, so you should have good news soon.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Isle of the Sea Drake is for 1st level parties (although like all DCCs, it's pretty easy to scale upwards), but it takes place near Voltiguer in the Criestine colonies near Xulmec territory.

If you want more Xulmec, there's more coming.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Jengenritz wrote:Isle of the Sea Drake is for 1st level parties (although like all DCCs, it's pretty easy to scale upwards), but it takes place near Voltiguer in the Criestine colonies near Xulmec territory.

If you want more Xulmec, there's more coming.
Adrian

Thanks for that. Actually, my copy of Isle of the Sea Drake arrived this morning and I like what I see. I hadn't appreciated that it was a Southlands set module - even better. I'll do a thorough read of this (and the other three DCCs that arrived with it) and post comments at the weekend.

Please don't take any of what I wrote above as criticism of the modules themselves guys. They are excellent looking and the snippets I have read lead me to believe that Goodman Games has moved onto a new plateau of quality. Well done all.

Is now a good time to reveal that my group are having significant debates about 4e and are considering going back to 3.5ed :roll:

I expect we'll alternate once the novelty of 4e wears off (I'll get to run DCC 51 before I die !!), but it is ironic, isn't it ?

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Is now a good time to reveal that my group are having significant debates about 4e and are considering going back to 3.5ed
I expect we'll alternate once the novelty of 4e wears off (I'll get to run DCC 51 before I die !!), but it is ironic, isn't it ?
Heh, CW is the silver lining...awesome!

Looking forward to the comments!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I like DCC modules set in the Criestine Colonies, and near Voltigeur ... then again, I'm biased. :)

Adventure location bias aside, "Isle of the Sea Drake" is a terrific campaign starter for a 4E game.

If you run it for your players, Frank, please let us know how it goes!
catsclaw227
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by catsclaw227 »

Any word when the most recent 4e DCC print releases will make it to PDF on rpgnow? I'll get almost all of them via PDF.

<Currently filling my RPGNow shopping cart>
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

catsclaw227 wrote:Any word when the most recent 4e DCC print releases will make it to PDF on rpgnow? I'll get almost all of them via PDF.
We're working our way through the schedule! Next week will be DCC #54, and the week after that will be #55.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

frank5471uk wrote:I see that the release schedule for the DCC line for the rest of the year has been announced.

I am afraid though that I have overdosed on 4e 1st level dungeons, so the announcement of DCC59 (sorry Harley, I am sure it'll be your usual peerless effort) and the new compilation (In Search of Adventure containing 6 1st level adventures) does nothing for me.

To be honest I am surprised that of your first 14 4e adventures published in 2008, Goodmans Games decided to make 11 of them 1st level (and nothing above 4th).

Please don't take the above comment as harsh criticism. I am sure that all 14 adventures will be great, it is just an odd mix of levels. The players in my group (we have been playing 4e for about 3 months now and we swap DMs) now have about 3 characters each, ranging from 2nd to 4th level. By November, they will be crying out for 6th+ level adventures and I still won't have any DCCs to offer them.

Here's hoping for a strong glut of mid-level dungeons in the new year. Take care and keep that quality high :)

Frank
If you really want to play and can't wait for higher level DCC's, there are plenty of great higher level adventures here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/ad
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

xredjasonx wrote:If you really want to play and can't wait for higher level DCC's, there are plenty of great higher level adventures here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/ad
Well, scratch all of the above. I have been running my group through the free rpg day WoTC module "Treasure of Talon Pass" (for 2nd level characters). We started our third session earlier tonight, as the party (fresh from an overnight rest) moved into the room with the Young Black Dragon encounter.

5x3rd level characters vs a Level 4 Solo monster (plus a few kobold minions and a wyrmpriest that I had added as the group were a level higher than the module recommended).

Result = a TPK :oops: The kobolds didn't last long, but those Black Dragons are ROUGH (it's the darkness that does it).

So, it's back to 1st level for us, if they'll let me DM again. It looks as though one of these new DCCs is going to be just the ticket :-)

Frank
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

We got through Talon Pass ok. That was a fun module, but yeah it was pretty challenging. I took out all of the zombies at the beginning with my wizard, it was sweet.

It was the Kobold Hall in the back of the DMG where we got wiped out by the young white dragon at the end. We've ran a few of the Dungeon adventures and they are pretty good, much better than Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Random Encounters.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

xredjasonx wrote:We got through Talon Pass ok. That was a fun module, but yeah it was pretty challenging. I took out all of the zombies at the beginning with my wizard, it was sweet.

It was the Kobold Hall in the back of the DMG where we got wiped out by the young white dragon at the end. We've ran a few of the Dungeon adventures and they are pretty good, much better than Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Random Encounters.
xredjasonx

Out of interest, what level, status & composition were your party when you met the dragon down Talon Pass ?

I DM'd a party consisting of a Rogue, a Cleric, a Paladin, a Warlock and a Ranger (all 3rd level and all fully rested with full hps and powers), all played by VERY experienced players. To be honest, the dragon creamed them. At the end of the encounter (4 dead characters and the ranger legging it as fast as his little legs would carry him), the dragon still had 60+ hps remaining. I am yet to be convinced whether or not they could ever win the encounter. The killer element of the encounter turned out to be the Black Dragon's Clouk of Darkness power, which being sustainable through the use of a minor action, enabled him to take control of the whole fight by stationing it over the exit of the room and benefiting hugely from the party having no line of sight to ithe monster and it having an effective AC of 27.

The players are not happy with me, accusing me of using "a broken monster". I'd like to be able to see how other parties managed the encounter to ascertain whether the accusation is true or not.

Frank

P.S. Sorry to Joe for the discussion of a non GG adventure. If it worries you I'll stop. If it helps, the vast majority of GG adventures are much better than the one discussed above.
Last edited by frank5471uk on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

frank5471uk wrote: P.S. Sorry to Joe for the discussion of a non GG adventure. If it worries you I'll stop. If it helps, the vast majority of GG adventures are much better than the one discussed above.
No worries, Frank. 4E is still so new, it is good to hear folks' responses to what is fun and what isn't (even to non-Goodman products).

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Any word on higher level DCC's? I need to start thinking about my post Wyvern Mountain adventure, running Forges right now....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jason,

:) You're chewing through these, man.

We have 3 more in various stages of production (from heading to print to play testing) with the first Paragon tier adventure in editing as we speak.

//H

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Are we not supposed to chew them?

The fiber has been welcome...

[Have I stepped over a line?]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:Are we not supposed to chew them?

The fiber has been welcome...

[Have I stepped over a line?]
I think you've flushed your credibility!
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Harley Stroh wrote:Jason,

:) You're chewing through these, man.

We have 3 more in various stages of production (from heading to print to play testing) with the first Paragon tier adventure in editing as we speak.

//H
Well I've only ran Punjar, and we're about a quarter of the way through Forges of the Mountain King. Im going to coninue with Wyvern Mountain and go from there.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Im going to coninue with Wyvern Mountain and go from there.
I'm happy to say the adventure started in Forges and Wyvern Mountain keeps on rolling. That Mountain King is a bad dude.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”