Reading a spell from a scroll

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Reading a spell from a scroll

Post by dunbruha »

If a spell is cast from a scroll, does it disappear from the scroll?
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Reading a spell from a scroll

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:If a spell is cast from a scroll, does it disappear from the scroll?
I would say "No" since it does not appear to be specifically mentioned in the book. The negatives of only using your arcanum die and having to have the power source spec are enough restrictions as far as I am concerned. :)
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

StormPatriarch wrote:
dunbruha wrote:If a spell is cast from a scroll, does it disappear from the scroll?
I would say "No" since it does not appear to be specifically mentioned in the book. The negatives of only using your arcanum die and having to have the power source spec are enough restrictions as far as I am concerned. :)
Correct!
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:
Correct!
OK, cool. So a spellcaster can have any number of spells on scrolls, grimoires, spellbooks, etc. But they can only use their full specializations and masteries on the spells that they "know". Correct?

But I am kind of fuzzy on how many they "know". I am clear how many are known at character creation (half of power source MRV). And when the PC levels up, she has the capacity to learn one new bonus spell plus more for new die-ranks in Specialization or Mastery? Example: A 1st level PC with Arcanum D6 > Mystical D4 would know 2 spells. When she levels up, she adds ranks to her Specialization and also gains Mastery: Arcanum D6 > Mystical D6 > Wizardry D4. So she now can know 5 (from Arcanum tree: (6 + 4) / 2) + 1 (from leveling up) = 6 spells. Correct? And all of these 4 new spells must be acquired by game-play (training, discovered scrolls, etc.), not "automatically" Correct?
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:OK, cool. So a spellcaster can have any number of spells on scrolls, grimoires, spellbooks, etc. But they can only use their full specializations and masteries on the spells that they "know". Correct?
Yeah, I believe so.
dunbruha wrote: But I am kind of fuzzy on how many they "know". I am clear how many are known at character creation (half of power source MRV). And when the PC levels up, she has the capacity to learn one new bonus spell plus more for new die-ranks in Specialization or Mastery? Example: A 1st level PC with Arcanum D6 > Mystical D4 would know 2 spells. When she levels up, she adds ranks to her Specialization and also gains Mastery: Arcanum D6 > Mystical D6 > Wizardry D4. So she now can know 5 (from Arcanum tree: (6 + 4) / 2) + 1 (from leveling up) = 6 spells. Correct? And all of these 4 new spells must be acquired by game-play (training, discovered scrolls, etc.), not "automatically" Correct?
Figures are correct as far as I can tell.

I would guess that you would have to choose which spells are "known" at a given time? So using the example caster above, You can know and cast 6 spells at any one time but if you had a spell book w/10 spells in it for your power source, I would guess you would have to pick which ones you "know" and which ones you could only cast from the book?

OR it could mean that the ones you "Know" you can cast always but you are stuck with them. That seems a bit extreme.

I would go with my first thought. Say that the caster has to mark which spells they can use. If they wish to switch they will have to let go of one known spell and then study/pray/meditate for the new one (Takes 10 hours or something)...SO if you had Light, Fireball, Lightening, Flying, Know Languages & Armor, You could cast them as long as you have SPs/Resilience to do so. But say you have Acid Wave in your spell book as well and that you want to be able to cast it at full strength. So you let go of Armor and spend the requisite time to study/pray/meditate to play Acid Wave in your "known" group. Just a thought.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

StormPatriarch wrote:
dunbruha wrote: But I am kind of fuzzy on how many they "know". I am clear how many are known at character creation (half of power source MRV). And when the PC levels up, she has the capacity to learn one new bonus spell plus more for new die-ranks in Specialization or Mastery? Example: A 1st level PC with Arcanum D6 > Mystical D4 would know 2 spells. When she levels up, she adds ranks to her Specialization and also gains Mastery: Arcanum D6 > Mystical D6 > Wizardry D4. So she now can know 5 (from Arcanum tree: (6 + 4) / 2) + 1 (from leveling up) = 6 spells. Correct? And all of these 4 new spells must be acquired by game-play (training, discovered scrolls, etc.), not "automatically" Correct?

I would guess that you would have to choose which spells are "known" at a given time? So using the example caster above, You can know and cast 6 spells at any one time but if you had a spell book w/10 spells in it for your power source, I would guess you would have to pick which ones you "know" and which ones you could only cast from the book?

OR it could mean that the ones you "Know" you can cast always but you are stuck with them. That seems a bit extreme.

I would go with my first thought. Say that the caster has to mark which spells they can use. If they wish to switch they will have to let go of one known spell and then study/pray/meditate for the new one (Takes 10 hours or something)...SO if you had Light, Fireball, Lightening, Flying, Know Languages & Armor, You could cast them as long as you have SPs/Resilience to do so. But say you have Acid Wave in your spell book as well and that you want to be able to cast it at full strength. So you let go of Armor and spend the requisite time to study/pray/meditate to play Acid Wave in your "known" group. Just a thought.
This needs clarification. I was assuming that once you "knew" a spell, then that was permanent, and you could only add to your collection of known spells by advancing in level/dierank. But it would be cool to be able to swap out spells as you describe. What is the "official" way?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

You get one bonus spell per level, meaning another you can cast, which assumes you were studying in general. Otherwise you pick them up while in adventures. If you transfer a spell into your book, and that brings your total number of spells above your limit, you can still cast the new spell. Just treat it as a scroll every time.

I see no problem with "retraining" with spells either. If your character would rather focus on a new spell found, and re-focuses on that, fine.

We can call the Focus Spells and Non-Focus spells if that helps.

Focus spells (1/2 MRV specialization + branch masteries). Allows full ADC roll

Non-Focus: must match known power source. Allows roll of Arcanum only.
dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:

This needs clarification. I was assuming that once you "knew" a spell, then that was permanent, and you could only add to your collection of known spells by advancing in level/dierank. But it would be cool to be able to swap out spells as you describe. What is the "official" way?
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:You get one bonus spell per level, meaning another you can cast, which assumes you were studying in general. Otherwise you pick them up while in adventures. If you transfer a spell into your book, and that brings your total number of spells above your limit, you can still cast the new spell. Just treat it as a scroll every time.

I see no problem with "retraining" with spells either. If your character would rather focus on a new spell found, and re-focuses on that, fine.

We can call the Focus Spells and Non-Focus spells if that helps.

Focus spells (1/2 MRV specialization + branch masteries). Allows full ADC roll

Non-Focus: must match known power source. Allows roll of Arcanum only.
Thanks for the clarification. I like the re-focusing.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”