New Eldritch Spells

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

New Eldritch Spells

Post by dunbruha »

I thought that these spells were "missing" from the list.

Spell Name: Sleep
Power Source: Psychogenic
School: Mentalism
Effect: Influence
Manifestation: Psychic
Range: Area
Aspect: Resilience
This spell causes the target(s) to fall asleep. If the target is disturbed, either by physical action or a loud noise, it will awaken. Otherwise, it will remain asleep for a number of minutes equal to the amount of spell points that bypass Resilience.

Spell Name: Dispel Magic
Power Source: Any
School: Any
Effect: Dismiss
Manifestation: Negative
Range: Creature or Object
Aspect: Special
This spell ends ongoing spells and spell-like effects that have been cast on a creature or object, or temporarily supresses the magical effects of a permanently enchanted object. To end ongoing spells, the caster must expend spell points greater than those that were expended casting the original spell. To temporarily supress permanently-enchanted objects, the caster must expend spell points greater than a roll of the Die-ranks that the item posesses. The supression lasts the number of rounds that the spell points exceed the Die-rank roll.

I know the Dispel Magic spell is kind of strange, but I think it is needed somehow. Thoughts?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: New Eldritch Spells

Post by dancross »

Hi there. For the first spell, sleep is an incapacitation sub-effect, requiring a D12 in Psychogenic. To be completely in line with the rules, the spell would need to be maintained into the second round at 1/2 spell point cost, rather than last several minutes automatically. Opposed rolls vs. Willpower are allowed in the second round of effect. :)
dunbruha wrote:I thought that these spells were "missing" from the list.

This spell causes the target(s) to fall asleep. If the target is disturbed, either by physical action or a loud noise, it will awaken. Otherwise, it will remain asleep for a number of minutes equal to the amount of spell points that bypass Resilience.
This spell ends ongoing spells and spell-like effects that have been cast on a creature or object, or temporarily supresses the magical effects of a permanently enchanted object. To end ongoing spells, the caster must expend spell points greater than those that were expended casting the original spell. To temporarily supress permanently-enchanted objects, the caster must expend spell points greater than a roll of the Die-ranks that the item posesses. The supression lasts the number of rounds that the spell points exceed the Die-rank roll.
And perhaps to end ongoing spells, if the original points spent or the creator's ADC unknown, just assign one of the five levels of difficulty (table 2.2), rather than basing it on range. I like it. You might say, which is consistent with the rules, that one cannot suppress effects in powers sources other than what is known by the caster.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:Hi there. For the first spell, sleep is an incapacitation sub-effect, requiring a D12 in Psychogenic. To be completely in line with the rules, the spell would need to be maintained into the second round at 1/2 spell point cost, rather than last several minutes automatically. Opposed rolls vs. Willpower are allowed in the second round of effect. :)
Yes, I know... But I wanted to model the 1st-level Sleep spell found in D&D and C&C. If a D12 is required, then it would be much higher level. Heck, "Dominate" only requires a D10 (and that is a very high-level spell in D&D). And "Hold Person" is a 2nd-level spell in D&D (also an "incapacitating" spell). I don't know how to reconcile the low-level D&D spell with the high-level ERP spell... [Now, maybe you don't care all that much about D&D compatibility, but I think that this would be a major selling point of the game. Look at how well C&C is doing.]

And as far as maintaining it, I figured that once the target was asleep, they would keep sleeping for a while (I know I do!) I figured that in combat, they wouldn't stay asleep very long. I was thinking of it as a "sneak past the guards" spell. But I can see having a chance to wake up (with an opposed roll) before the spell ends.
dunbruha wrote:I thought that these spells were "missing" from the list.

dancross wrote:And perhaps to end ongoing spells, if the original points spent or the creator's ADC unknown, just assign one of the five levels of difficulty (table 2.2), rather than basing it on range.
This is good.
dancross wrote:I like it. You might say, which is consistent with the rules, that one cannot suppress effects in powers sources other than what is known by the caster.
Yes, I thought about having the power source factor in somehow, but I thought that it would make the spell too restrictive. Maybe some sort of extra level of SP needed to afftect spells from other sources?
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by EvilCat »

What if there would be more restrictions in Sleep spell so it won't be Incapitation = exclusion from combat? 1st level D&D spell is quite restrictive.
  • Affects 4HD of creatures -> affects only creatures with Willpower no more than d4 and no specs; or creatures with CS no more than 10; or creatures with total RS no more than 10...
  • "Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature."
  • This spell isn't good for depleting RS and cannot deplete more than 10 per turn... Well, in Eldritch every spell grows with the character, this restriction keeps spell low-level.
Something like that. Hmm, makes it quite useless for prison escape if guards have _any_ Willpower...
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by EvilCat »

It crossed my mind that plainly adding restrictions to spells is not an elegant way to convert said spells from d20. The question is, why are there "chains" of spells with similar effect, but different power level? Because d20 mechanics make it fun to collect and manage lots of spells. (Wizard's spellbook is a blast! Especially in a form of tattoos or weaving. One I had rural 1st-level wizard character, who had spells hidden all over in outfit and equipment, and some in tattoos.)

But Eldritch doesn't have spell levels, and all spells grow with character skill, right? I think, to keep the conversion interesting, you can do the following:
  • Add spells levels and spells-known-by-level entities. Limit size of dice used in spell roll according to its spell level: 1 - d4, 2 - d6, 3 - d8 and so on... So, for 1st-level spell a character with "Arcanum d8 > Supernatural Connection d6 > Demonology d4" would roll only 3d4, but for 2nd-level he could roll up to d6+d6+d4.
  • Require demanding spell components for more powerful spell usage, thus making low-powered usage more easy and common. For example, imagine that in the game setting humans were made from clay, dwarves from stone and dragons from pure crystal. To charm a human or a dwarf, the caster must touch a clay (no problem) or a stone (even less problem), but to charm a dragon, the caster has to hold at least a small shard of this pure crystal... No first-level mage would have it, but for renowned wizard it's quite accessible . So, the spell has progression.
  • Add quirky details to every spell, indicating its background and affecting its usage. For example, visual, sound or olfactory effects, requirements to sing or bark the spell, martial component or focus, required daily activities to be able to cast that spell... For example, to cast a sleep spell created by orcish tribe, the caster must regularly eat raw meat (to reach proper state of mind), and the casting process requires shouting formula in orcish. Vile smog envelops the target and puts it to unpleasant sleep. Of course, that renders the spell useless for stealth - so, it's a low-level (specialized usage) sleep spell.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Another new spell:

Spell Name: Knock
School: Psychokinesis
Effect: Travel
Range: Object
Aspect: Object
This spell allows the caster to unlock doors or other locked objects by manipulating the delicate mechanism of the lock. Better quality locks require more spell points to open. If a door is magically locked, then the caster must expend spell points greater than those that were expended in the casting the original spell.

Would this be too powerful if it were also allowed to be used to disarm (delicate) traps?
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Another new spell:

Spell Name: Comprehend Languages
Power Source: Mystical
School: Wizardry
Effect: Percieve
Manifestation: Positive
Range: Creature
Aspect: Knowledge
This spell allows the caster to understand an otherwise incomprehensible language. Understanding spoken words is a Moderate challenge. Understanding written words is a Difficult challenge. Speaking the language is a Demanding challenge. Writing the language is a Formidable challenge.

What do you think?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

These are good translations! I like the use of the Travel Efffect for the "knock" conversion.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:Another new spell:

This spell allows the caster to unlock doors or other locked objects by manipulating the delicate mechanism of the lock. Better quality locks require more spell points to open. If a door is magically locked, then the caster must expend spell points greater than those that were expended in the casting the original spell.

Would this be too powerful if it were also allowed to be used to disarm (delicate) traps?
I don't think so. I would say that if a door is trapped that it would have to be cast once on the lock on the door and once on the trap.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

This spell allows the caster to understand an otherwise incomprehensible language. Understanding spoken words is a Moderate challenge. Understanding written words is a Difficult challenge. Speaking the language is a Demanding challenge. Writing the language is a Formidable challenge.

What do you think?
Very cool!
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

StormPatriarch wrote:

I don't think so. I would say that if a door is trapped that it would have to be cast once on the lock on the door and once on the trap.
That's what I was thinking too. I guess I was worried that it might make the Thievery ability less important. But I guess if the party wants to spend their spell points opening doors instead of blasting whatever is behind them, that's OK.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

What do you think?
I think this has to be modified to include a time component somehow. It doesn't seem reasonable to restrict someone's language ability to rounds. Maybe something like:

The spell lasts a number of minutes equal to the number of spell points expended.

I know this goes against the "a spell must be maintained" rule, but it seems too costly to maintain a spell for the length of a conversation, or the time it takes to read a treasure map.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. I guess I was worried that it might make the Thievery ability less important. But I guess if the party wants to spend their spell points opening doors instead of blasting whatever is behind them, that's OK.
Plus w/the number of spells known limits...You would have to use a slot for it...

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:

What do you think?
I think this has to be modified to include a time component somehow. It doesn't seem reasonable to restrict someone's language ability to rounds. Maybe something like:

The spell lasts a number of minutes equal to the number of spell points expended.

I know this goes against the "a spell must be maintained" rule, but it seems too costly to maintain a spell for the length of a conversation, or the time it takes to read a treasure map.
I actually like that expense attached to it. That way it doesn't detract from spending the CPs to learn the language. Maybe lessen the cost by a tier and with the half to maintain its not so bad. But I like the costs as is to be honest.

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

StormPatriarch wrote:I actually like that expense attached to it. That way it doesn't detract from spending the CPs to learn the language. Maybe lessen the cost by a tier and with the half to maintain its not so bad. But I like the costs as is to be honest.
OK, let's go with:

Effect: Perceive
This spell allows the caster to understand an otherwise incomprehensible language. Understanding spoken words is an Easy challenge. Understanding written words is a Moderate challenge. Speaking the language is a Difficult challenge. Writing the language is a Demanding challenge.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Another new spell:

Spell Name: Turn Undead
Power Source: Supernatural
School: Theurgy
Manifestation: Positive energy
This spell causes undead creatures in the area of effect to flee at their full movement rate.

Comments?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

This spell causes undead creatures in the area of effect to flee at their full movement rate.

Comments?
Hey, that works. ;-) Normally Undead are not affected by Influence spells, but if created under the school of Theurgy, I'd make an exception.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:

Comments?
Hey, that works. ;-) Normally Undead are not affected by Influence spells, but if created under the school of Theurgy, I'd make an exception.
Yea, it's not really influencing their "minds", as most influence spells do, it's affecting their undead nature.

Maybe the spell needs a way for a more powerful caster to destroy undead:

This spell causes undead creatures in the area of effect to flee at their full movement rate. If the number of spell points that exceed Resilience is greater than remaining Toughness, the undead creature is destroyed.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:

Comments?
Yea, it's not really influencing their "minds", as most influence spells do, it's affecting their undead nature.

Maybe the spell needs a way for a more powerful caster to destroy undead:

This spell causes undead creatures in the area of effect to flee at their full movement rate. If the number of spell points that exceed Resilience is greater than remaining Toughness, the undead creature is destroyed.
In this case you may want to make it a special Harm Effect, bypassing Resilience when affecting undead, but otherwise useless against mortal creatures.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”