What is good for me.

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Druthu
Gongfarmer

What is good for me.

Post by Druthu »

I will be running a D&D 4.0 game in a few weeks. After doing some research i will not be using the modules put out by Wizards. So looking for adventures, I came here; but i need some help.

I am a little confused on what i would need to run a D&D 4.0 game with Goodman Games. Is there a particular world that the adventures are set in? (ex Point of Light, Forgotten Realms) I would like to be able to have a good background of the lands the characters will be travelling in.

Can i use Forgotten Realms as the backdrop to the adventure?

What module (module path) would you suggest that my group start with?

and what would be the follow up adventure as they progress in level?

Free RPG day put out a book for Punjar, What was in this module and is it necessary to pick up to run the Sellswords of Punjar?

thanks,
Dru.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: What is good for me.

Post by Jengenritz »

Dru,

Excellent questions.

Re: Setting

The DCC series is designed to be setting-neutral. You can place them in Hyboria, Forgotten Realms, or anything you create on your own.
If you're looking for a setting, I recommend DCC #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms. This is a "setting" that was constructed using the DCC modules. You don't need it to play, run, or enjoy the DCCs, but each module has a location in Aereth (the world of DCC) and most refer to some elements of that setting.

Re: Free RPG Day Punjar Book

That was Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel...it's a mini-gazetteer (not a module) all about the city of Punjar. You don't need it to run any DCC set in Punjar because (as I said before) they are designed to be world-neutral. If you want to use the city of Punjar in your campaign setting, I recommend picking it up, and I believe when you pick up Sellswords of Punjar, you get a comment card...fill it out, send it in, get a copy (print or PDF, I don't remember) of P:TTJ.

Re: Adventure Path

Well, that depends on what you're looking to do. There three modules already released or releasing soon: Isle of the Sea Drake, Sellswords of Punjar, and Forges of the Mountain King.
Each of these is a 1st level module that will be followed by others in the same vein...not exactly an adventure path in that they aren't necessarily sequels, but they take place in the same general area.
If your group wants to combat wickedness and ancient evils at the top of the world, I'd recommend Forges. If you want to have island-hopping adventures in exotic locations, I'd recommend Isle. If you want Leiber-esque urban adventure, I'd recommend Sellswords.

Hope this helps, and thanks for checking out the DCC line!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: What is good for me.

Post by Harley Stroh »

Dru,

I'll echo what Adrian wrote. You don't need any specific world to run the DCCs. Like Adrian wrote, *all* the adventures are designed to fit into an number of campaign worlds, including any one that you might create yourself. It sounds like you might be predisposed to using the Realms --- this is an easy fit, if you have one of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting books. But really, in order to run a DCC, you don't even need a world. Create a name for the town where your PCs will begin at and you can build it from there. (All the DCC adventures have adventure hooks, that will give you ideas on how to explain why your PCs are on any particular adventure.)

All 3 DCCs out right now are suitable for 1st through 3rd level PCs. You could begin with the one that most struck your fancy, and take it from there. Adrian ran down the themes pretty well. Specific follow up adventures will be hitting stores in the coming weeks, but there is nothing to stop you from jumping from one thread to another if that's what makes you and your players the most excited.

The Free RPG Day book did have info on Punjar, but if you are running an FR adventure, Sellswords will likely be placed in Waterdeep, so you don't need the Punjar material to run the adventure.

Let us know if you have any questions, and what version of the Forgotten Realms you are planning on running. I don't have the latest campaign setting book yet, but I bet we can help you figure out where you'd like to place the adventures.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”