What are the in-game benefits of the Healing ability?

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

What are the in-game benefits of the Healing ability?

Post by dunbruha »

Does Healing work to increase Resilience? Toughness? The book refers to "margins of success". What die roll is used to compare the Healing roll to?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: What are the in-game benefits of the Healing ability?

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:Does Healing work to increase Resilience? Toughness? The book refers to "margins of success". What die roll is used to compare the Healing roll to?
Hello! Yes, Heal ability..."Greater margins of success bring greater results. Better than +6 allows recovery at twice normal speed; +4 to +6 allows recovery at 1.5 normal speed", etc.

So if the wound or condition is deemed "demanding" in terms of healing, and you roll a 10 against the GM's 11, nothing really happens. If you miss by 4 or more points, it may actually hurt the guy. If you beat the difficulty by 4 or more points, the person under your care will heal Toughness 50% faster, and so on. The nature of the illness, disease or wound is left up to the GM, to assign difficulty.

Easy
1D4
Moderate
2D4
Difficult
2D6
Demanding
2D8
Formidable
2D10
Extreme
2D12
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:So if the wound or condition is deemed "demanding" in terms of healing, and you roll a 10 against the GM's 11, nothing really happens. If you miss by 4 or more points, it may actually hurt the guy. If you beat the difficulty by 4 or more points, the person under your care will heal Toughness 50% faster, and so on. The nature of the illness, disease or wound is left up to the GM, to assign difficulty.
So can this do the same thing as the Heal spell? Can it affect Resilience?

Any guidance on how to assign difficulty? I'm drawing a blank. xx points of Toughness loss = Easy; xx points = Moderate, etc.? An example would be helpful!
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:So if the wound or condition is deemed "demanding" in terms of healing, and you roll a 10 against the GM's 11, nothing really happens. If you miss by 4 or more points, it may actually hurt the guy. If you beat the difficulty by 4 or more points, the person under your care will heal Toughness 50% faster, and so on. The nature of the illness, disease or wound is left up to the GM, to assign difficulty.
So can this do the same thing as the Heal spell? Can it affect Resilience?

Any guidance on how to assign difficulty? I'm drawing a blank. xx points of Toughness loss = Easy; xx points = Moderate, etc.? An example would be helpful!
No, a heal spell uses the "Restore" Effect (instantaneous), which actually adds to the target DP, using the result of the ability roll.

For difficulty in using the heal ability (more of a "first aid" ability):

Easy (1D4): target down to 90% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Moderate (2D4): target down to 75% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Difficult (2D6): target down to 50% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Demanding (2D8): target down to 20% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Formidable (2D10): target down to 10% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Extreme (2D12): target down to 5% of max Toughness + Resilience combined.

Unusual Situations:

Easy: stop bleeding (regardless of percent of Toughness + Resilience combined).

Moderate: stop infection from spreading, or keep fever from getting worse.

Difficult: stop mild poison from spreading, or help to alleviate illness.

Demanding: alleviate suffering due to disease, normal or magical. Prevents further HP loss.

Formidable: alleviate suffering, prevent death due to serious, incapacitating illness, poison, or magical effect.

Extreme: alleviate suffering, prevent death due to disease, normal or magical. Prevents further HP loss
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:No, a heal spell uses the "Restore" Effect (instantaneous), which actually adds to the target DP, using the result of the ability roll.
But it says that a "zero to +3...brings a PC back to 0 Toughness if already below". This seems to be adding to Toughness. Is this a special case?

Thanks for the examples. Does it only affect the healing rate for Toughness? What about Resilience?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:No, a heal spell uses the "Restore" Effect (instantaneous), which actually adds to the target DP, using the result of the ability roll.
But it says that a "zero to +3...brings a PC back to 0 Toughness if already below". This seems to be adding to Toughness. Is this a special case?

Thanks for the examples. Does it only affect the healing rate for Toughness? What about Resilience?
It's not really adding to toughness. I'm taking a page from D&D (not sure which edition at this point), in that a successful "heal" or "first aid" attempt would stop bleeding (prevent dropping to a lower negative number) and bring that character to zero.

In the core rules, it affects the healing rate for Toughness. However, I could totally see it helping out with Resilience recovery too! In fact, it probably should affect both in most circumstances. But yeah, it only affects recovery rate, increasing it if successful, which is inferior to a Restore spell. In game, it's probably most useful as a "quick patch" for characters in danger of dying from bleeding (not unlike other games with First Aid skill).
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:It's not really adding to toughness. I'm taking a page from D&D (not sure which edition at this point), in that a successful "heal" or "first aid" attempt would stop bleeding (prevent dropping to a lower negative number) and bring that character to zero.
In 3e D&D, the Heal skill doesn't increase Hit Points to zero, it just "stabilizes" the character at whatever negative value they are at (stops hit point loss). I'm not sure about other editions.
dancross wrote:In game, it's probably most useful as a "quick patch" for characters in danger of dying from bleeding (not unlike other games with First Aid skill).
In most of these cases, the character that is in negative Toughness will be less than 5% of Toughness + Resilience, which is an extreme difficulty (2D12). So to have any chance of successfully using the Healing ability in this situation, you would have to have a really high die-rank in Healing to aviod risking a roll of -4 or more. Am I reading this right?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:It's not really adding to toughness. I'm taking a page from D&D (not sure which edition at this point), in that a successful "heal" or "first aid" attempt would stop bleeding (prevent dropping to a lower negative number) and bring that character to zero.
In 3e D&D, the Heal skill doesn't increase Hit Points to zero, it just "stabilizes" the character at whatever negative value they are at (stops hit point loss). I'm not sure about other editions.
dancross wrote:In game, it's probably most useful as a "quick patch" for characters in danger of dying from bleeding (not unlike other games with First Aid skill).
In most of these cases, the character that is in negative Toughness will be less than 5% of Toughness + Resilience, which is an extreme difficulty (2D12). So to have any chance of successfully using the Healing ability in this situation, you would have to have a really high die-rank in Healing to aviod risking a roll of -4 or more. Am I reading this right?
]

I was thinking it would be easy to stop them from dying on the ground (negatives to zero), but hard to ensure a speedy recovery (2D12 from 0).
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:I was thinking it would be easy to stop them from dying on the ground (negatives to zero), but hard to ensure a speedy recovery (2D12 from 0).
Maybe set a static difficulty of 2 to stabilize a character with negative Toughness (that way, even someone with the lowest amount training in healing (D4) has a 50% chance of stabilization). Then go with the difficulties you listed to affect healing rates. So if they were stabilized but in the negatives it would be extremely difficult to speed up the healing rate.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:I was thinking it would be easy to stop them from dying on the ground (negatives to zero), but hard to ensure a speedy recovery (2D12 from 0).
Maybe set a static difficulty of 2 to stabilize a character with negative Toughness (that way, even someone with the lowest amount training in healing (D4) has a 50% chance of stabilization). Then go with the difficulties you listed to affect healing rates. So if they were stabilized but in the negatives it would be extremely difficult to speed up the healing rate.
I like that, yes! We'll go with it.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:
dunbruha wrote:
I like that, yes! We'll go with it.
Hmmm. Actually, the static difficulty would need to be set at 3, not at 2, for a 50% chance. But it definitely would make it advantageous to get some Healing training.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”