Points of Lights

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Points of Lights

Post by robertsconley »

Omote wrote:Additionally, these maps are just fantastic. How are the setting maps going to be presented in the points of Light product (full page, half page)? Have you ever considered just making these types of maps? :wink:

-O
Wildland, Borderland, and Southland are full page. The Swamps of Acheron are half page.

As for a book of maps alone, I would be competing with too many other people. Points of Light in contrast is something that not everyone does even with the number of setting books and modules out there. Wilderlands of High Fantasy perhaps but that 18 maps of an entire western europe sized region and the price being $48 for the PDF.

PoL is more limited in scope and geared towards being a drop-in area for a existing campaign. But one thing that is share with the Wilderlands is the sentiment is that the GM will make the setting his own. Jettisoning some items and keeping others.

I do appreciate the compliment.

Rob Conley
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

The preview looks really good. Like I said, will be picking this up for sure.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

robertsconley wrote:
Maliki wrote:Are the large X's on the actual map, or are they just on the preview? I'm hoping just the preview, I'd like to be able to show the map to my players, but knowing them they will head for the nearest X knowing that there is something there.
I will submitting player maps to Joseph Goodman in the middle of August in the form of PDFs you can print out. Not only they will be missing the GM symbols (the Xs) but other features (like Southland won't have Nightshade Keep or Castle Beldon.
Any idea when these player maps will be available? I've already ordered my copy of PoL, and am waiting for it to arrive. I've already moved my new campaign to the Southlands, using the partial map in the forums.

btw the preview looks great
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Maliki wrote:
Any idea when these player maps will be available? I've already ordered my copy of PoL, and am waiting for it to arrive. I've already moved my new campaign to the Southlands, using the partial map in the forums.

btw the preview looks great
I am not sure, but I presume that now that Gencon is over it will be any week now.

Rob Conley
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Ok, I ordered it today. So, for those who are already privy to the 4E goods, If I wanted to drop Dragora's Dungeon into PoL, where would it best fit?
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

xredjasonx wrote:Ok, I ordered it today. So, for those who are already privy to the 4E goods, If I wanted to drop Dragora's Dungeon into PoL, where would it best fit?
Based on the description here

http://www.goodman-games.com/5301preview.html

I would say Wildland would be the best fit. I would say the Tharvengian Forest. It could go into the Wild if you are willing to compress the Eon ago part.

Southland could work as it has centuries old ruins of the Bright Empire.

Without having the detailed background, I can't tell which part can be adapted. But again based on the webpage, I would likely change the sorceror kings in the following way.

They started as Archmages of the Grand Conclave (think Ars Magica's Order of Hermes)

They seized control of cities to protect themselves during the civil war detailed in Borderlands (At least that what they tell themselves)

If they are evil, then either they were opportunists to begin with or became corrupted during the Civil War (the whole ends justify the means deal)

In any case another faction perhaps remnants of the Grand Conclave, or one of the churches destroyed their cities in a rain of eldritch fire.

One group manages to flee to Southland or Wildlands and build a hidden city. The tribe bit could be explained by having one or more of the barbarian tribes that participated in the Shattering (see Wildlands) be the mage's lackeys. If you use Wildlands there are other tribe off-map so you don't have to use one of the ones on the Wildland map.

Finally if these mages deal with demons, they may attract the unhealthy attention of Sarrath, Delaquain and the other gods. which could lead to the PCs competing with other groups bent on their destruction.

If the module really plays on the whole "eons ago" part. Then the Sorcerer Kings could predate the Bright Empire and were destroyed as part of the rise of the Empire. Now that Empire is gone in Wildland or Southland their time has come again.

Hope this helps
Rob Conley
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

It does help, thanks. I'll chew on it until I actually get M1 in my hands.
Omote
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Omote »

So are there any chances of a Points of Light 2? What about a product that expands on the microsettings described in the original PoL? Any chance of seeing more of those classic RSC maps in any other products?

-O
Visit the FPQ!!!
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Castles & Crusades Society
"VAE VICTUS!"
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Omote wrote:So are there any chances of a Points of Light 2? What about a product that expands on the microsettings described in the original PoL? Any chance of seeing more of those classic RSC maps in any other products?
1) Yes PoL 2 is in the works.

2) If PoL sells as a series I certainly see side products expand or combine one or more of the setting. The series needs established first. The next one will have more info on the Grand Kingdom Setting of Southland.

3) Appreciate the compliment.

One old that people are generally don't know of is the dungeon in Pegasus #15 (http://www.judgesguild.net/guildhall/pe ... asus15.pdf), also Fight-On #2 (a side view of a dungeon, and The Outdoor Map)

Plus there is the a preview of the upcoming Map 19 for the gazetteer I am working on for Fight On #3. Map 19 for Wilderlands in Fight On #3 http://www.fightonmagazine.com/

My past credits (for those of you just tuning in) are Fortress Badabaskor (also written by me), Citadel of Fire, and Dark Tower, and The Adventure Continues. All available from Goodman Games.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Good to hear more PoL is on the way.
Never throw rocks at a man with a Vorpal Sword
Fletch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Fletch »

robertsconley wrote:2) If PoL sells as a series I certainly see side products expand or combine one or more of the setting. The series needs established first. The next one will have more info on the Grand Kingdom Setting of Southland.
This may be the answer I was coming here to ask.

I've heard nothing but good things about this book, but I'm torn by the presence of four seemingly good settings instead of one combined one. Are the four mutually exclusive? Can they be different regions of the same world or does the collective backstories contradict each other?
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Fletch wrote: Are the four mutually exclusive?
No. They can combined if so desired.
Fletch wrote: Can they be different regions of the same world or does the collective backstories contradict each other?
The first three are different regions at different times. The fourth is an outer plane that is related to the other three lands.

Borderlands is before Wildlands which is before Southlands.

The emphasis of the product is drop in settings for your campaign not to present Rob Conley's setting. But I want to give value to having all four lands in one product hence the loose connection.

Also doing this allows me to have material in one land that fleshes out details in another. This kept it under 48 pages and makes it so that the other lands have value to you even if you only like one.

I expected for most people to be doing what this guy is doing.

http://rpgdiehard.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... rough.html

In addition there has been a strong response to learning about the world of the Bright Empire, and the Grand Kingdom so I will take that into account in future projects. The next one is set in the same time as Southland and involves the Grand Kingdom. But the emphasis is still on being able to drop the lands into any fantasy campaign.
Fletch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Fletch »

robertsconley wrote:The first three are different regions at different times.
Okay, I didn't know that. My main concern is that once I select one of the four as my campaign setting, I'm pretty much tossing 3/4 of the book. While it's great to hear they have a shared history, I don't see the different time/different place as supporting a DM wanting to use the entire book for his campaign.
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Fletch wrote:
robertsconley wrote:The first three are different regions at different times.
Okay, I didn't know that. My main concern is that once I select one of the four as my campaign setting, I'm pretty much tossing 3/4 of the book. While it's great to hear they have a shared history, I don't see the different time/different place as supporting a DM wanting to use the entire book for his campaign.
Like other compilations, ( DCC Adventure Begins and the Adventure Continues come to mind) probably you not going to be able to use everything at one go. But I am sure you will some use for everything in subsequent campaigns. Plus the background is such a light touch there is no reason you couldn't make them all the same time period.

Wildland is a frontier area overrun by Barbarians
Borderlands somehere in the old heartland of the Bright Empire where the civil war still rages on.
Southland is still on the frontiers of the Grand Kingdom which succeeded in breaking away from the Bright Empire early in the war and now is expanding its frontiers. Or do away with the Grand Kingdom and make it a remnant of the Bright Empire. Then turn the references to the Bright Empire in Southland to yet an older Empire.

I tried to design it so the whole thing is easily customized. Unlike most setting products I focus on the details which are tedious to generate in mass quantities like the locales. I keep the background light so you can customize it however you like.

By customization I mean the fun kind where you get to write a page or two of notes on your history, your cultures, your NPCs. The things I assume to create the locales are common to just about any Fantasy RPGs that shares the same premises as D&D. Harnmaster, Rolemaster, GURPS, any edition of D&D, and so on.

Hope this answers your questions.

Rob Conley
Fletch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Fletch »

robertsconley wrote:Hope this answers your questions.
Yup, questions answered.

This sounds like the kind of product I would eat up so consider it on my list of things to spend my (very) limited gaming budget on.

My concern remains, though, about the potential non-usability of 3/4 of the book's contents. Unless I'm the only one who feels that (and, without the book in hand, I can't claim to be an informed reviewer), it might be something to consider as you plan further books in the series.

Thanks for the answers. I love companies which take the time to interact with their customers.

EDIT: While I'm here, lemme ask - Do the 4e DCCs and Master Dungeons have a place in any of the PoL settings? I understand the idea that they're easily transferred to any setting, but I was wondering if there was any thought put into which setting would be a "best fit" for each adventure.

Thanks again.
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Fletch wrote: EDIT: While I'm here, lemme ask - Do the 4e DCCs and Master Dungeons have a place in any of the PoL settings? I understand the idea that they're easily transferred to any setting, but I was wondering if there was any thought put into which setting would be a "best fit" for each adventure.
Forge of the Mountain King could work in Southland, or Wildland. Borderland is not as good of a fit but only by inches.

Isle of the Sea Drake probably would only fit in Wildlands as that is the only land with any significant coast.

Wyvern Mountain definitely fits Wildland. Southland would work as well.

The Forgotten Portal would work better in the next Points of the Light which has some unexplored Jungle areas.

The Mists of Madness could work in Southland. The next Points of Light has a perfect area for any forbidden ruin type module.

The Punjar series don't really fit anywhere in the current or the next Points of Light. But I can see how it would work with some of the ideas for the future.

The M1 Dragora's Dungeon could work in Southlands (being a remnant of the Bright Empire) however it would work much better with the forbidden ruin area of one of the lands from the next Points of Light.
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”