The 4E DCC

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

The 4E DCC

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

How many months of tidbits, cover shockers, and content teasers ... and now, at long last, the 4E DCC is finally here. I have been NOTHING but disappointed with Wizards' offerings on the adventure front. It is like Keep on the Shadowfell was designed with the specific intent of turning off players. But –

...Sellswords of Punjar...

...Isle of the Sea Drake...

...Forges of the Mountain King...

– I fully believe that these adventures will save 4E, at least in the little community that I call my players. Adventures with story, substance AND a functional rule set? (Not to mention secret doors and a dragon on the bottom level!)

Next Thursday morning I am going to the dealer room, I am getting in line, rushing to the Goodman booth, buying my copies of the DCCs and then finding a nice comfy chair on the second floor of the convention hall, sitting down with my cherry coke and enjoying D&D again.

If you are headed to GenCon I urge you to do the same! (Of course, if you are on the forums, then you probably don't need me to tell you all this, but I'd sure come off like an ass if I posted in on ENworld, no?)
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The 4E DCC

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Hey Save vs. Death Ray:

I'll be at the Goodman booth early on Thursday, too, and will be there until I have to go grab the stuff for my first game at 2:00 Introduce yourself - I would like to meet you, and I'm sure others in the Goodman Games booth would as well.

tacojohn4547
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I'll add on to what tacojohn says: come by the tournament in Union Station and say hey. I'll be the stressed-out looking Large guy with minimal hair with a laptop.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I've always wanted to see the tournament! Are we allowed to watch? (It's not cheating as long as I'm not in the tourney, right?) I'll check the schedule to see what times the tournament is running......
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Don't believe Jengenritz, he never gets stressed. :wink:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Hjorimir
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hjorimir »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:How many months of tidbits, cover shockers, and content teasers ... and now, at long last, the 4E DCC is finally here. I have been NOTHING but disappointed with Wizards' offerings on the adventure front. It is like Keep on the Shadowfell was designed with the specific intent of turning off players. But –

...Sellswords of Punjar...

...Isle of the Sea Drake...

...Forges of the Mountain King...

– I fully believe that these adventures will save 4E, at least in the little community that I call my players. Adventures with story, substance AND a functional rule set? (Not to mention secret doors and a dragon on the bottom level!)

Next Thursday morning I am going to the dealer room, I am getting in line, rushing to the Goodman booth, buying my copies of the DCCs and then finding a nice comfy chair on the second floor of the convention hall, sitting down with my cherry coke and enjoying D&D again.

If you are headed to GenCon I urge you to do the same! (Of course, if you are on the forums, then you probably don't need me to tell you all this, but I'd sure come off like an ass if I posted in on ENworld, no?)
Well, did you get them? I'm really surprised at how little information I can find about the new 4e DCCs. No reports at all from GenCon talk about them (were they actually on sale)? I'm SO ready to buy these. Somebody in the know speak up!
Istor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Istor »

Yes they were there.

I've only scanned them quickly and aside from the fact that I completely hate the covers they look good. I haven't gone over them in depth but I'm looking forward to running all of them eventually.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I picked them up. I can can say that they are unabashedly awesome. Even if you hate the covers, I urge you to consider buying one the DCCs, even if you aren't going on to 4E. They are solid adventures that can easily be put to use in your C&C game, AD&D, 3.5 whatever.

But for those of you that made the jump to 4E: Get. These. Adventures.

All fanboi notions aside, they are amazing. If Wizards killed off the flavor text in their 4E wanna bees, Goodman resurrected the flavor text and turned it into a Devil Lich. It is just so good to see a STORY in an ADVENTURE. They are fun to read, awesome to play.

I picked up all 6 4E products but have only read Sellswords so far. I'll try to give a better review as I get to read the others.

Sellswords: Includes a double sided battle map, that includes roofing (?) so that you can leave the entire map exposed the entire time the PCs are exploring the slums. As the PCs move from tenement to tenement, you pull off the roof, revealing what they encounter inside. There is one really vicious trap that leaves the PCs dangling over a underground river as some sort of giant ape hauls them towards their death. Classic DCC goodness.

The character codex and DM campaign tracker are solid and useful, pretty much what we've come to expect.
Hjorimir
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hjorimir »

Oh, I'm definately ready to buy. Alas, they are still not available at the Goodman Games Online Store. :(
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Hjorimir wrote:Oh, I'm definately ready to buy. Alas, they are still not available at the Goodman Games Online Store. :(
Same here. I would have loved to get those at GenCon, but real life is a b*tch. Can't wait for those goodies to be available on the store so that I can buy them!

Hyb' :(
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Yeah, still waiting... ;(
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:As the PCs move from tenement to tenement, you pull off the roof, revealing what they encounter inside.
That.

Flipping.

ROCKS.

....Awesome idea!

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”