GenCon - Judges game

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

GenCon - Judges game

Post by fathead »

Alright, by popular request, we'll be giving the judges a chance to sit down and play.

In order to avoid scheduling conflicts (Wednesday's judges gathering, Thursday's Beercon, and Adrian's pajama party), we're tenatively shooting for Friday evening (sometime after the last round of the DCC tournament).

So...let's hear from the judges - who would like to attend? Do you have a preference on time?

The adventure that I'll be running is the same one that I'm running for the Wednesday Night Dungeon Crawl event. Here is the description:

Title: Lair of the Mud Witch
Game System: Dungeons and Dragons 4E
Description: High summer is a miserable time to venture into the Gren March swamps. After days of travel in the March, your skin is now pock-marked with red circles from bites and the stings of marsh flies. Your face is lined with dirt trails from sweating profusely, and your hair has taken a damp, matted look. Your adventuring clothes are wet from your own perspiration and reek of sulfur. Deep in the muck and mire of the March lies the Mud Witch, a strange oracle who might be as likely to kill you as give you her prophesies. Even still, you have braved the Gren March in search of the Mud Witch and her telling
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: GenCon - Judges game

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

I'm in, Friday I believe is better for me, but I'll stay as flexible as I can.
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

Hoody-hoo

I can't wait to sling dice with some of the big guys.

Count me in.

Erica :wink:
Don
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Don »

Sure, sounds like fun. Count me in!
--
"Beware the man who has nothing to lose."
(Italian proverb)
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

I don't know my schedule yet, but I would be interested in playing. Sounds like a blast!
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

kenwig wrote:I don't know my schedule yet, but I would be interested in playing. Sounds like a blast!
Are you still in Berea, Ken? Careful...if you stay there long enough, you might be there when we finally make the move. Yes...selling a house is always fun.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Now that I've been accepted as a Judge, I'd really like to play :)
I'll be free Thursday and Friday for any game (minus the ones I'll run for the tournament).

Hyb'
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

How many players can you take for this? I think Stephanie Huffaker might be interested as well.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:How many players can you take for this? I think Stephanie Huffaker might be interested as well.
As many as we get. I'll make extra copies of the characters, in case anyone else shows up. I think Hybban might not be at GenCon (I got that impression in another thread). If that is the case, our current count (with Stephanie) is 5 players.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

fathead wrote: As many as we get. I'll make extra copies of the characters, in case anyone else shows up. I think Hybban might not be at GenCon (I got that impression in another thread). If that is the case, our current count (with Stephanie) is 5 players.
Yeah, Real Life Problems will prevent me from being among you for the GenCon. :(

Hyb'
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Alright. The judges game is moving forward. We'll have it on Friday night, starting after 8:00PM (allow some time for any judges running the last tourney slot). It will be in the Open Gaming area (which I believe is at the Hyatt again this year). It will either be on floor 2 or 3, but we'll try for floor 2 first. If the location changes, I'll leave a message at the Goodman Games booth. I'll also PM each of you that responded to this thread, and pass along my cell number.

See you at the con!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Thanks again for running, Dan. We had a great time. Too bad everyone was more sleepy than me!

You should consider firming that scenario up and submitting it.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Thanks again for running, Dan. We had a great time. Too bad everyone was more sleepy than me!
Hey, no problem. I was secretly thankful that people were dropping off early (I was pretty tired myself). Next year, we'll need an earlier start or a module that is short (hmmm...maybe that "5 room encounter" idea from roleplayingtips.com would be perfect for that).
N'Haaz-aua wrote: You should consider firming that scenario up and submitting it.
Ha. Thanks for the compliment. It would take quite a bit more work to do so, but I may do just that. What I'd like to do is complete and flesh out the remainder of the lair, and then add back all of the marsh journey to the front end of the adventure (which was a lot of fun when I ran it in 3.5...it gave me more time to build on the player's misery and create the ambience).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Yeah, we were talking on the last day how cool it would be for a few of the judges to just prep 5 rooms of something to play episodically. Then you can just have notes on what to add based on the swarm of players that forms. I think thats the way to go at a con. Everyone is tired from running dcc all day.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

One thing I was thinking about doing next year was forgoing Claddaugh in favor of gaming, if it seemed like the Judges were more interested in that.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Also, I think the open gaming room worked out fine for playing location.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Everyone is tired from running dcc all day.
Yep. I think planning for 2-3 hours would be the way to go. Just make 5 rooms, and concentrate on those.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Also, I think the open gaming room worked out fine for playing location.
It worked out pretty well. If we do this enough in advance, we could always see if there is a restaurant that is willing to give us a backroom (dinner, drinks, and gaming). Just a thought...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Dan, if you come over to the dark side, this would be a lot easier...
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Dan, if you come over to the dark side, this would be a lot easier...
Funny you mention that...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

fathead wrote:Funny you mention that...
(cue the echoing of dark laughter...)
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....

Return to “Goodman Games General”