Buying the PDFs before they're gone

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Buying the PDFs before they're gone

Post by Ozric »

Since it looks like the 3.5 and 1E .pdf versions of DCC's are going to be disappearing, I'm thinking about buying all of them at once (except for maybe the Known Realms, which I already own in .pdf). Is there an easier way making such a purchase without having to sift through Drivethrurpg and clicking "Add to Cart" for each one. It sounds tedious, and I might somehow miss one :wink:
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Buying the PDFs before they're gone

Post by JZavoda »

Ozric wrote:Since it looks like the 3.5 and 1E .pdf versions of DCC's are going to be disappearing, I'm thinking about buying all of them at once (except for maybe the Known Realms, which I already own in .pdf). Is there an easier way making such a purchase without having to sift through Drivethrurpg and clicking "Add to Cart" for each one. It sounds tedious, and I might somehow miss one :wink:
Why would the pdf's disappear? Is this part of the 4e switchover?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

JZavoda wrote:Why would the pdf's disappear? Is this part of the 4e switchover?
If your company is making the jump to 4th Edition, you can't continue selling your 3.x stuff after a certain point. :?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JZavoda »

GnomeBoy wrote:
JZavoda wrote:Why would the pdf's disappear? Is this part of the 4e switchover?
If your company is making the jump to 4th Edition, you can't continue selling your 3.x stuff after a certain point. :?
So that is a mandatory thing. I'd heard something about that but didn't think it was mandatory, just a logical step since everything will be geared to 4th edition. I tried 3rd edition but immediately went back to a 1e homebrew. It is pretty easy to convert anything back to 1st edition.
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

Yeah, if you go to http://www.drivethrurpg.com, it's very clear that it's only a matter of time before the 3.5 DCC's become unavailable in .pdf form, which makes me kinda sad. I think GG does great stuff and I'd like to be able to give them more of my money, but I don't intend to invest in 4E for the forseeable future with Pathfinder and C&C available.

However, if there were a bundle containing all the 3.5 DCC .pdf's at drivethrurpg.com, I'd seriously consider buying it. But I suspect such a bundle would probably cost like a few hundred bucks or something, and probably not worth the time for GG to put together when it could turn out that no one wants to drop that kind of cash. I know that I personally couldn't make a final decision until I saw what the final cost would be.
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JZavoda »

Ozric wrote:Yeah, if you go to http://www.drivethrurpg.com, it's very clear that it's only a matter of time before the 3.5 DCC's become unavailable in .pdf form, which makes me kinda sad. I think GG does great stuff and I'd like to be able to give them more of my money, but I don't intend to invest in 4E for the forseeable future with Pathfinder and C&C available.

However, if there were a bundle containing all the 3.5 DCC .pdf's at drivethrurpg.com, I'd seriously consider buying it. But I suspect such a bundle would probably cost like a few hundred bucks or something, and probably not worth the time for GG to put together when it could turn out that no one wants to drop that kind of cash. I know that I personally couldn't make a final decision until I saw what the final cost would be.
I'm a little worried about the new art I've seen for DCC and the layout. What drew me to DCC in the first place was the classic look.
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

I too liked the old-school look the 3.5 DDC's have, but I can certainly understand GG wanting to update it for 4E. I suspect the adventure content will still be just as cool.
JZavoda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JZavoda »

Ozric wrote:I too liked the old-school look the 3.5 DDC's have, but I can certainly understand GG wanting to update it for 4E. I suspect the adventure content will still be just as cool.
I haven't tried 4e. I've heard it is more akin to a table top mini game, which the people saying it seem to be using as a negative, but it is the one thing that intrigues me about it. RPGs are simple, you keep the mechanics of combat straightforward, and the rest is the DM and the players having fun with their characters. That kind of roleplaying doesn't do much for selling tons of rulebooks, which is why they kept tinkering with the system. But the adventures are what people remember, and what are so handy to have as a DM.

Unfortuneately the artwork is a big thing. Sometimes players just need to get their visualization skills kickstarted. I can write new flavor text, but I can't do any of the artwork, so I wish that Dungeon Crawl Classics had been left with classic artwork. Why not just use the new art in a different line of products and keep the old style art with DCC? Ah well, another topic of discussion.

If you can't get the modules themselves I'd advise anyone looking for that classic style to download the pdfs before they are yanked. But I just don't see how pdfs of old modules can effect the sales of 4e in a negative way. I think the opposite would be true.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”