So, with 4E out later this week..

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

SirFozzie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

So, with 4E out later this week..

Post by SirFozzie »

And with one retailer inadvertently breaking street date (plus the inevitable leak to file-sharing).. what do folks think of what's out there for 4E, especially as it pertains to the Greatest Game, XCrawl? :)
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: So, with 4E out later this week..

Post by xredjasonx »

It's all about the 4E DCC's. I cant wait for the 4th Edition version of the Aereth (Known Realms) box set
vagen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vagen »

Well I've had a while to go over 4th ed now, and I must say I'm actually kind of excited about it. I think it lends its self well to X-crawl. the only real problem we saw was that action points don't refreshed in X-crawl the way they do in D&D, ie by taking 2 encounters without the 5 minuet rest to reset all your encounter powers since X-crawl would have a built in rest after each encounter, ie. lets tell them what they've won.

the way we figured it mojo would function as action points but ones you could only use if someone gives them too you, and still work only as an encounter power. ie 1 person can give 1 mojo an encounter, but you could receive as many as you team alloted you.

Other than that I felt the cinematic style of combat and the deeply ingrained teamwork built into the system really is almost like they made it just for X-crawl, I'm really excited to see what Brendon and everyone will do with it.
For the Glory!
For the Money!
For theFun!!!
rattrap2474
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rattrap2474 »

I too have had a chance to go over some of the 4E stuff. Id it just me, or does it read more like a description of a video game than a PnP game? the format, power style, descriptions of classes and roles, magic items, pretty much everything could have come from just about any top line fantasy video game. I think that some of the ideas that 4th ed has come up with are cool, while others make this old gamer shiver for the future of our game and hobby. After 25 years of faithfully playing D&D and it's spin offs I am actually considering giving up gaming as it is no longer even remotly like the game I have come to know and love. And for those who say I'm just not willing to change, I started on basic D&D, moved to AD&D, 2nd Ed AD&D 3rd ED AD&D 3.5 D&D with only minor complaints and no loss of hope for the hobby. but 4th ed just isn't for me. Hopfully XCrawl can do something with it to restore my hope.

Rev Allan Hoffman
Revend Allan C. Hoffman
Jesus saves, the rest of you take full damage.
Swap Your Paperback Books - PaperBackSwap.com
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Id it just me, or does it read more like a description of a video game than a PnP game? the format, power style, descriptions of classes and roles, magic items, pretty much everything could have come from just about any top line fantasy video game.
Yes, thats the idea. The first D&D MMO was a failure, because it was too different from the base game. So they decided if you can't bring mohammed to the mountain, you bring the mountain to him. Expect to see a new D&D MMO in about a year, which will match very closely to 4th, because they created 4th to match the computer game.
rattrap2474
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rattrap2474 »

Then my previous commonent about crying for the future of PnP gaming stands. Don't get me wrong I love PC gaming, but I enjoy PnP as well, I'm just afraid that eventually there will be no more PnP.
Revend Allan C. Hoffman
Jesus saves, the rest of you take full damage.
Swap Your Paperback Books - PaperBackSwap.com
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

rattrap2474 wrote:Then my previous commonent about crying for the future of PnP gaming stands. Don't get me wrong I love PC gaming, but I enjoy PnP as well, I'm just afraid that eventually there will be no more PnP.
My opinion is you guys have nothing to worry about. 4E is just as much a PnP as any of the other editions, shoot I've done more social rp'ing with my human wizard than I've ever done with a character. It's just now, combat is more dynamic and a lot more fun.
FlamingManofIron
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by FlamingManofIron »

What they also wanted to do in 4e was have a simpler easier to use system.

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”