Project Basilisk

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Project Basilisk

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

I've noticed one thing really lacking among the mechs: dragonslayers. At least, it really stands out to me when I look at the L'Arile Nation churning out Rodwalkers, when lunar creatures effectively have improved evasion against the fireballs. A simple energy substitution could fix this (heck, acid would also be more effective against mechs as well). But I'm looking for something more. Surely by now mech designers must realize that lunar creatures are vulnerable to earth effects, but Earthblood the Mighty appears to be the only mech that fits this description. Thus begins Project Basilisk. Animated mechs closely tied to the earth.

Here's my first model, the Battlelisk. The first Battlelisk was the brainchild of a kobold mage jockey from the Gelgaran Highlands trying to aid Zlaan and the chromatics in their patrols against the lunar dragons.

Battlelisk
Size: Gargantuan
Power Source: Animated (dispel DC 26)
Payload Units: 10
Height: 25 ft.
Space/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./ 10 ft.
Crew: 2 (weapons: 2)
Firing Ports: 10
Hit Dice: 24
Hit Points: 132
Critical Thresholds: NA
Base Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft.
Maneuverability: Good
AC: 6
Hardness: 8 (stone)
Base Melee Attack: +5
Base Ranged Attack: +3
Unarmed Damage: 1d10+5
Trample: Largest medium; Safe small; Damage 3d6
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will -
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Mechcraft DC: 36
Base Planning Time: 72 days
Base Cost: 1280 gp
Final Cost: 58,571 gp (63,071 gp for the advanced model)
Labor Time: 2,176 man hours
Construction Time:
Special: Incremental improvements (+2 Str, +8 HD, -10 speed), Relayed Weapons

New Special Trait: Relayed Weapons: Relayed weapons function similarly to linked weapons, but are more versatile. The two linked functions do not have to have identical targets and can be linked to accomplish more than one task in an order specified at creation. Separate controls also exist for activating the same functions without linking. Relayed weapons increases the cost of a mech by 10%, plus another 5% if more than two functions are linked (if a function is activated more than once, each activation counts as a separate function). In the case of the Battlelisk, activating the Soften Earth and Stone wand initiates two consecutive castings of Greater Mighty Wallop on the mech hammer.

Payload Usage

Code: Select all

PU       Use 
2        Crew 
8        Onboard Weaponry
Onboard Weaponry - Battlelisk (Gelgaran Highlands - L'Arile "ally")

Location     Arc of Fire   Weapon(dam, range, Other)                            PU Crew 
Right Arm    Melee         Huge Mech Hammer (2d8+5/x3,                           4  1
                           3d12+5/x3 with Greater Mighty Wallop active)
Right Arm    Melee         Greater Mighty Wallop wand
Head (mouth) 180           Huge Net Cannon (special, 180)                        4  2
Head (eyes)  180           Earthbind wand (advanced model only)
Left Arm     180           Soften Earth and Stone wand
Left Arm     180           Desert Burial wand
The Battlelisk resembles some sort of moss-covered earth titan with draconic influence. Many are surprised to learn that kobolds would design a mech in such sharp contrast to their frail frame. Any disbelief soon evaporates if you see it in use against a lunar dragon. Even if it's competent in melee, this mech fights like a kobold. Each move sets up for the next, and the mech rarely aims for damage before crippling the foe. The Battlelisk isn't meant for fair fights - it's meant for creating the high ground.

In combat, the Battlelisk is a bit of a one-trick pony. But it's a very effective trick. It begins combat by firing the net cannon to ground the dragon. More advanced models link a wand of Earthbind (Draconimicon) to deliver this blow on two fronts. The kobold caution ethic encourages redundancy for this vital step. Next the Soften Earth and Stone wand is activated, triggering the wand of Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the Dragon). Nothing particularly important appears to happen during this round, but it is vital set-up. Some pilots may fake damage during this round to lure the foe into false security, possibly linking a wand of Cold Smoke (2nd Age of Walkers) to the whole set-up. In the subsequent round, they activate the wand of Desert Burial (DR 331) and sink the dragon into the ground, rendering it helpless (the ground usually requires softening by Soften Earth and Stone first). The second casting of Greater Mighty Wallop occurs, and now the mech hammer deals damage as if two sizes larger. In the fourth state of this maneuver, the mech coup de graces the helpless dragon. Pilots have come to call this the Whack-A-Mole technique. Currently they are researching ways to limit the potential for the dragon escaping.

And there we are. The first mech from Project Basilisk. Sorry for the random spells from other sources. But it really helps. My second idea involves Stone Sphere (Spell Compendium) and Reduce Monster (I can't find it anywhere, but there's no reason reduce person can't be upgraded just like charm person). Stone sphere deals more damage to smaller foes, and it's earth-based, so it deals more to lunar creatures. It also provides some nice battlefield control against infantry.

EDIT: I had meant to mention this the first time: feel free to offer other good spells or ideas for Project Basilisk.
Last edited by Oaksoul Elite on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Project Basilisk

Post by Raptor »

I've noticed one thing really lacking among the mechs: dragonslayers. At least, it really stands out to me when I look at the L'Arile Nation churning out Rodwalkers, when lunar creatures effectively have improved evasion against the fireballs.
What about the Icicle (Mech Manual)? It specifically states that it was designed for anti-dragon use, with it's cold-based weaponry, which lunar creatures have no resistance to. Or check out my Hunter-series mechs with their javelin rack armed variants.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Raptor wrote:
I've noticed one thing really lacking among the mechs: dragonslayers. At least, it really stands out to me when I look at the L'Arile Nation churning out Rodwalkers, when lunar creatures effectively have improved evasion against the fireballs.
What about the Icicle (Mech Manual)? It specifically states that it was designed for anti-dragon use, with it's cold-based weaponry, which lunar creatures have no resistance to. Or check out my Hunter-series mechs with their javelin rack armed variants.
True, I realized that the Icicle does a pretty good job - especially since it has magic immunity, and DMech specifies it even applies against supernatural abilities (like a breath weapon). While I'm inclined to rule against that, it is pretty useful. Anyway, while it's not aimed at lunar dragon's strengths like a Rodwalker is, the Icicle still doesn't take advantage of the vulnerability to earth like Earthblood the Mighty does. I'll check out the Hunter series. How does the Battlelisk look?
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

One thing you haven't allowed for it to effect the mech's hammer, you need to use Combine Spell Metamagic, which I don't think you can use with wands, for Greater Mighty Wallop. You might want to try a magic hammer with the Bane (Lunar) trait instead. I would be tempted to go with a larger mech armed with either enchanted barbed sword blades or hooked axe blades and built in Immovable Rods to hold the dragon in place. If you don't like how the spell immunity works you can always update it to 3.5 (it currently is based on how golem immunity worked in 3.0) and have it work like infinite spell resistance, so spells and effects that don't allow spell resistance still work. I bumped my post on my Hunter series mech's so it should be right on this page.
Last edited by Raptor on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

You may be right about it not being usable with wands. I've just always been inclined to say that wands can be built with metamagic feats already added in, so long as the maker has the feat and the wand is priced for its adjusted spell level. And that the user can cast a Combined Greater Mighty Wallop. Otherwise, roll'em up UMD check. Conveniently, Combine Spell doesn't have a spell level adjustment feature, so a wand can be specified to be prepared as such at no price increase. Maybe I'm being liberal as a DM, but I'd allow anyone with Combine Spell to combine wand spells as well, as long as they specified the wand was made with that capability. The barbed sword or hooked axe works fairly well, but the net cannon has more range, so I could bring down a dragon that didn't want to get into melee. The immovable rods idea sounds promising. How would you get it to secure the dragon? I could see adding it to a net and linking it, or creating some sort of torpedo or sticky grenade that carries it. Anyway, I kept the Battlelisk gargantuan because that way mage jockeys can still use their special features. It's a basic design likely to be upgraded for use by elite pilots. Yeah, I'll probably use the 3.5 spell immunity. And thanks. I remember the Hunter series now. Pretty good.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

The immovable rods idea sounds promising. How would you get it to secure the dragon?
I was actually thinking of it being part of a mech armed with either barbed sword blades or hooked axes.
If a creature pushes against an immovable rod, it must make a DC 30 Strength check to move the rod up to 10 feet in a single round.
Even If the dragon succeeds on the test it won't be moving very fast.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Yeah, that does sound good. I'm away from my books right now, but I'm pretty sure it's an easier STR check to escape from the barbed sword/hooked axe, which would get you away from the immovable rod. Wait, never mind. That'd pull the axe/sword away from you. It'd still hold the thing in place. Great! Maybe a ranged version would fire a linked delay tangle grenade and immovable rod (with a couple of steam powers attached to press the button on impact). The linked delay would be like the Steam Blade from Mech Manual has. Fire the tangle grenade and then fire the immovable rod at it. The sovereign glue will hold the immovable rod onto the dragon, and then the steam powers activate the rod upon impact (trembler + animator + release valve). I'd be inclined to say it's a touch attack against a tiny creature to hit the sovereign glue.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Try this one out.

Seraphim
Size: Gargantuan
Power Source: Animated
Payload Units: 14
Height: 25 ft.
Space/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./ 10 ft.
Crew: 2 (weapons 4)
Firing Ports: 10
Hit Dice: 16
Hit Points: 88
Critical Thresholds: Not subject to critical hits
Base Initiative: +4
Speed: 60 ft., fly 60 ft.
Maneuverability: Good (ground & flight)
AC: 6
Hardness: 15 (Mithral)
Base Melee Attack: +0
Base Ranged Attack: +4
Unarmed Damage: 1d10+4
Trample: Largest medium; Safe small; Damage 3d6
Saves: Fort 0, Ref +2, Will -
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 18, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Mechcraft DC: 36
Base Planning Time: 72 days
Base Cost: 7,263 gp
Total Cost: gp
Labor Time: 5,120 man-hours
Construction Time: 64 days (10 avg. laborers + 1 overseer),plus Rituals (3 days) plus magic item creation time
Special: Extra Wpn Mounts (+5 PU)

Payload Usage

PU       Use 
2        Crew 
4        Wings of Flying
9        Onboard Weaponry
Onboard Weaponry - Seraphim

Location     Arc of Fire   Weapon(dam, range, Other)                              PU Crew 
Right Arm    Melee         +1 Keen Huge Sword Blade (2d8+5/17-20)                 4  1
Left Arm     180 forward   +1 Frost Huge Javelin Rack (2d6+1+1d6 cold(x3),200 ft) 4  2
Head         360           Wand of Slow (Special, 5 creatures, 35 ft.)            1  1
Last edited by Raptor on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Oh nice! The slow will definitely help it beat lunar dragons in the air (not that much can't outmaneuver them). I've slowly collected ideas for the other Basilisks. There's the Rockspitter Basilisk, which uses Stone Sphere and Reduce Monster to run over lunar dragons. There's also the Underminer Basilisk, which uses stonefish venom (giant wasp venom if you don't have Stormwrack) and javelin racks (combined with burrowing capability) to hopefully paralyze dragons. It may also use a Wand of Weight to also ground them. Underminers are meant to be used concurrently with either other Basilisk.

I've also been playing around with two new spells:

1) Reduce Monster: As reduce person, but any type. Easy. It's the same level as charm monster, since charm person and reduce person are the same level. I can't believe it's not actually a spell.
2) Weight: loads a creature with heavy encumbrance and associated penalties. Against a weapon, it makes it one size heavier (light => 1-handed => 2-handed => can't use) without increasing damage (due to being suddenly unwieldy and sized wrong for its weight). Such weapons also suffer a -2 penalty to attack. Against mechs, weight reduces the maneuverability by 1 or shuts down weapon. Alternatively, it might negate Push the Envelope and force a mech pilot check to avoid overheating.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DrakenJaeger: Elven Colossal II Animated mech (full stats)

Post by Raptor »

Try this one out, there are 2 versions, the basic, and the advanced for elite crews.

DrakenJaeger
Size: Colossal II
Power Source: Animated
Payload Units: 48
Height: 55 ft.
Space/Reach: 25 ft. by 25 ft./ 25 ft.
Crew: 4 (weapons 6)
Firing Ports: 21
Hit Dice: 96
Hit Points: 528
Critical Thresholds: Not subject to critical hits
Base Initiative: +3
Speed: 90 ft.
Maneuverability: Good
AC: 2
Hardness: Basic 14 (steel, Colossal II)/Advanced 17 (Mithral, Colossal II)
Base Melee Attack: +2
Base Ranged Attack: +3
Unarmed Damage: 3d6+10
Trample: Largest huge; Safe large; Damage 5d6
Saves: Fort -2, Ref 0, Will -
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Mechcraft DC: 44
Base Planning Time: 88 days
Base Cost: Basic 5,725 gp/Advanced 20,925 gp
Total Cost: Basic 175,294 gp/Advanced 325,854 gp
Labor Time: 12,800 man-hours
Construction Time: 80 days (20 avg. laborers + 2 overseers) plus Rituals (10 days) plus magic item creation time
Special: Extra Weapon Mounts (+16 PU), Fast Legs, Linked Weapons (barbed swordblades), Magic Immunity, Steady Feet

Payload Usage

PU    Use
4     Crew
44    Onboard Weaponry
48    Total
Onboard Weaponry - DrakenJaeger (basic)

Location    Arc of Fire                 Weapon(dam, range, Other)                                   PU Crew
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)                       4 1
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)                       4 -
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)                       4 -
Right arm      Melee      +3 Dragon Bane Colossal Swordblade (3d12+13(+2d6+2 vs Dragons)/19-20)        16 1
Left Shoulder 180 forward +1 Frost Distance Gargantuan Net Cannon (entangle+1d6 cold,   ft.)            8 2
Left Shoulder 180 forward +1 Distance Dragon Bane Huge Javelin Rack (2d6+1(+2d6+2 vs Dragons)(x3), 400) 4 2
Onboard Weaponry - DrakenJaeger (advanced)

Location    Arc of Fire                  Weapon(dam, range, Other)                                   PU Crew
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Spell-Storing Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)         4 1
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Spell-Storing Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)         4 -
Left arm       Melee      Linked +1 Keen Spell-Storing Huge Barbed Swordblade (2d8+11/17-20/x3)         4 -
Right arm      Melee      +5 Dragon Bane Colossal Swordblade (3d12+15(+2d6+2 vs Dragons)/19-20)        16 1
Left Shoulder 180 forward +1 Frost Distance Seeking Gargantuan Net Cannon (entangle+1d6 cold,   ft.)    8 2
Left Shoulder 180 forward +2 Distance Dragon Bane Huge Javelin Rack (2d6+2(+2d6+2 vs Dragons)(x3),400)  4 2
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Wow. Looks good. I'd never thought of adding damage-dealing enhancements to nets, but it sounds like a good idea. As for the linked barbed sword blades, are they set up like claws, or does it have a lot of left arms? Spell-storing is definitely a nice touch for linked weapons.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

The barbed sword blades are set up in a square extending past the left hand (upperleft, lowerleft, upper right, lower right.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Raptor wrote:The barbed sword blades are set up in a square extending past the left hand (upperleft, lowerleft, upper right, lower right.
So they're linked because they're essentially four fingers that close together, and that's the attack? Grab and squeeze?
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

more like a square barbed trident, with the mech's hand in the middle.
Last edited by Raptor on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Ah. Ok, that makes sense. And it definitely does look neat. I was a tad skeptical at first, but now I can picture it. Cool.

Return to “DragonMech”