Aereth and 4E

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Aereth and 4E

Post by xredjasonx »

Jeff LaSala, what part of the Punjar Gazetteer did you write? Loved the Darkwood Mask by the way. Our usual game for the past year has been set in Eberron.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:
Well it can't be a typo then. :lol: Maybe it went to print before Goodman Games knew about the October limit?
Maybe it is. According to this link it says September/Gen Con:

http://www.goodman-games.com/upcomingreleases.html

But Amazon still shows them for August 6th,,,,,,,

:?:
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Nope, you were right. Mr. Goodman said so himself!

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 185#p20185

This August, DCC Delivers! Party at Gen Con, everybody!
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

xredjasonx wrote:Jeff LaSala, what part of the Punjar Gazetteer did you write?
The Temple District. Not all that much. :) But as I wrote the pantheon sections of the DCC campaign world of Áereth, I'm pretty familiar with the gods and faiths of the Known Realms.
Loved the Darkwood Mask by the way. Our usual game for the past year has been set in Eberron.
Thanks! :D I always like to hear how people have placed DCCs into Eberron.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

xredjasonx wrote:"As the swamp reaches further into the City, the surviving necropolis grows increasingly wilder. Thick swamp vines, black moss and mold cover all of the crypts, and the broad, paved footpaths have been reduced to narrow tracks flanked by thorny bushes and pools of brackish water stinking of rotting flesh."

It's like Harley has actually been to my previous employer's workplace. Amazing.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Most my dungeons are based off of stories from your former places of employ, Ogre. ;)

Good to see you around! How's thing?

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

xredjasonx wrote: DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar
DCC 54: Forges of the Mountain King
DCC 55: Isle of the Sea Drake
The thing I love best about these? They 110% evoke the Fafhrd & Mouser series book titles.

Punjar certainly seems to be cut from the same cloth as Lankhmar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankhmar), although I couldn't get to a retailer to pick up a copy of the Gaz so I base my assumptions on what I've read of Harley's previous work and the hints dropped in the boards.

If anyone has an extra copy of the Punjar Gaz and is willing to part with it for less than the TWENTY SIX (26!!!) DOLLARS that it's going for on Ebay, please please drop me a line at hideously[dot]deformed[at]gmail[dot]com. Naturally I'll handle shipping & packaging costs, and if you hook me up with this I'll be your best friend. With sugar on top. :mrgreen:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Good to see you around! How's thing?

//H
Hiya, great to see you again, and lovely to see activity on the boards again!

"Thing" has been good. Life alterations have made impacts both positive and negative over the past few months, but I'd say life's really good right now. Been away from my home for 2 months training for a new (better paying but slightly more time-demanding) job.

I live in Rochester, NY but I've been asked to train in Manhattan, so I've been in New York City for that long. And no, it didn't take a whole lot to twist my arm to get me to move to Manhattan--on the company's dime, natch--for a few months. I love it here, although Manhattan will crush your bank account faster than Orcus will subvert a church of the Raven Queen. :wink:

I finally go home this upcoming Saturday, see my wife (and by "see" I think you can read between the lines, wink wink, nudge nudge)...and then Sunday early afternoon I get to be a player in a 4th edition D&D group that just started, lol.

I gots my priorities, man! D&D before unpacking & laundry!

I'm thrilled to see that DDCs will be coming out. I bought the 4th ed books and was feeling mildly...underwhelmed. Áereth has always been, and always will be, a breath of fresh air--and yet a harkening back to classic D&D at the same time--compared to the setting material WotC puts out. So I'm excited to be getting more Áereth goodness!

Once again I'll be throwing a credit card in Mr. Goodman's direction, shrugging my shoulders and saying, "Take it. Just....take it. I want at least one of everything you publish, please."
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ogrepuppy wrote: DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar
DCC 54: Forges of the Mountain King
DCC 55: Isle of the Sea Drake

The thing I love best about these? They 110% evoke the Fafhrd & Mouser series book titles.

Punjar certainly seems to be cut from the same cloth as Lankhmar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankhmar), although I couldn't get to a retailer to pick up a copy of the Gaz so I base my assumptions on what I've read of Harley's previous work and the hints dropped in the boards.
You're right on the money. Sellswords is my tribute to that fated pair. GMs should be required to read the series before running the adventure. ;)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

So Harley, just curious, what is In Search Of Adventure all about?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

It is a compilation of short, low-level, 4E adventures, similar to the hardcover The Adventure Begins (http://www.goodman-games.com/5028preview.html).

Amazon has it it wrong --- I didn't write this one. Each adventure was a written by a different author.

//H

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Cool. Preordered it along with the other 3 DCC's. ;)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote: GMs should be required to read the series before running the adventure. ;)

//H
Pssht. You kidding? Should be required--and I mean mandatory--reading for Junior and High Schools. Drop that Harry Potter mess. Do you want adventure & excitement with magic and young adventurers? Lieber is your man! In fact, he was so frequently stolen from over the many decades that when I read the stories (a few years after I started reading D&D books) I knew what was going to happen in the Lieber tales based on the D&D modules!

I recently picked up the Chaykin/Mignola trade paperback of the Lankhmar stories. Great stuff. Mignola's inks really brought the dirty streets and shady back alleys of the City of Lankhmar to wasted, bedraggled life.

(This book) http://www.amazon.com/Fafhrd-Gray-Mouse ... 332&sr=8-1
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Ogrepuppy, I added it to my Wish List. ;)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

xredjasonx wrote:Ogrepuppy, I added it to my Wish List. ;)
Have you read the original stories? If not, I'd highly recommend adding those first. :wink:

Really, the graphic novel makes considerably more sense once you've read the stories, even though the graphic novel is based on several of the stories.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Which book should I read first?
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Harley Stroh wrote:It is a compilation of short, low-level, 4E adventures, similar to the hardcover The Adventure Begins (http://www.goodman-games.com/5028preview.html).

Amazon has it it wrong --- I didn't write this one. Each adventure was a written by a different author.

//H
How come it's not advertised on the GG website yet? Or did I miss it?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

We have a good number of projects we're trying to get finished off in time for Gen Con (some not announced yet). Once those are done I'll be able to turn my attention to the In Search of Adventure manuscripts.

//H

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Cool. Pat on the back to all the hardworking folks at GG. :)

Have fun at Gen Con, wish I could go, never been to one, but I hope to one of these days.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

xredjasonx wrote:Which book should I read first?
http://www.amazon.com/Lankhmar-Book-Swo ... 157&sr=8-1

They're all numbered. 7 total, 5 released so far. The first book was a trifle slow, but the remaining collections of short stories are all a lot of fun!
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Cool, thanks!
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Cool. Pat on the back to all the hardworking folks at GG.
Heh. The tournament authors and I thank you.

And I've got much love for the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, particularly the Mouser. That's exactly the kind of character I like to play in a game.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Jengenritz: Heh. The tournament authors and I thank you.
They may not thank the authors after the PC corpses heap up during the tourney though, heh heh... :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I like it when I hear people say that 4E characters are unkillable. My first experience with 4E was the Dungeon Delve at D&DXP.

Stroh, Doyle, two or three other dudes, and myself were TPK'ed in room two.

Makes me smile.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Jengenritz wrote:I like it when I hear people say that 4E characters are unkillable. My first experience with 4E was the Dungeon Delve at D&DXP.

Stroh, Doyle, two or three other dudes, and myself were TPK'ed in room two.

Makes me smile.
Yeah - I agree. Someone has gone down and started making death saves in every battle our party has been in so far in our 4E game (tonights our 4th session). No actual deaths yet, but we always feel like we are in danger. I love that - makes for a much better game.

jason

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”