FAQ

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

FAQ

Post by dancross »

We'll be compiling errata and clarifications here as time permits. Stay tuned. Once this process is finished, I'll put together a free PDF of the same listings, and also in time we'll also update the core PDF.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: FAQ

Post by dancross »

One thing to keep in mind with monsters (other than full-fledged): calculate the Resilience score based on the primary threat rank (100% of MRV if the creature's primary attack is Arcane, or 1/2 that if primary attack is melee, unarmed, or ranged). Don't just divide the HP score after applying multipliers based on size or nature. For example, some of the creatures on the wiki had their RS calculated based on 1/2 the augmented HP score, which is wrong (and will be fixed).

Some monsters can have multipliers to their Resilience, maybe because it's a creature resistant to magic, or a demon or fay, or whatever. But those scores are calculated seperately from the *final* HP score.

Some of the creatures in the wiki need minor revision for this, because it's easy to forget. For example, the if a large hobgoblin has 3D4 in close combat (everything else at D4), and x4 due to size, it's HP would be 48 and it's RS 6. If the GM made the hobgoblin a Shaman with a primary attack of Arcane, RS would be 12. Or, if the GM decided hobgoblins as a race were resistant to magic and other forces he could simply mutiply the score by x2 (either 6 x2 or 12 x2). There is no "wrong" way to do this, in my opinion, because it really depends on the type of critter desired. However, really high RS scores make Harm spells almost useless, and poses a disadvantage to mages over warriors (because Harm has to get through RS before it can affect a monster's HP). It's not quite the same disadvantage with other types of Effects (like Influence) because they take full effect once RS is depleted to zero.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

dancross wrote:We'll be compiling errata and clarifications here as time permits. Stay tuned. Once this process is finished, I'll put together a free PDF of the same listings, and also in time we'll also update the core PDF.
coolio!
What do you mean no?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Here is the FAQ to-date. There is more to add, but this is a good start.

Thanks to Banesfinger for putting this together

http://www.goodman-games.com/ERP_FAQ.pdf
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

dancross wrote:Here is the FAQ to-date. There is more to add, but this is a good start.

Awesome. I can add this to my review.
What do you mean no?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

dancross wrote:Here is the FAQ to-date. There is more to add, but this is a good start.

Bad link? I'm getting a 404.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

mythfish wrote:

Bad link? I'm getting a 404.
try this

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ERP_FAQ.pdf
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

This one works fine. Thanks!
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

What do you mean no?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Kudos to Banesfinger! Nice work!
Dieter Zimmerman
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Banesfinger »

mythfish wrote:Kudos to Banesfinger! Nice work!
Thanks.
I will try and update the FAQ periodically as new answers become available on the boards (sending it to the ERP team for approval - of coarse).

P.S.:
The FAQ's Chapter 4: Magic question (Page 40) should be updated (I believe):

It currently reads:
The maximum distance for most attack spells is x2 Power Source (MRV) in feet. This seems short (for example, a character with Arcanum (d6) > Mystical (d8) > Wizard (d6) can only attack with his Eldritch Bolt spell out to a range of 16-feet.
I'd also allow adding the MRV of x2 Mastery for single creature Harm spells, just as I do with Area-Effect. So, an arcanist with a D8 Arcanum, D6 Primordial, and D4 Elementalist school mastery could cast a lightning bolt from his hands up to a length of 28 feet (8 specialization + 6 mastery = 14 x 2 = 28).

However, I believe the example in the first paragraph should have been copied to the 2nd paragraph (Arcanum (d6) > Mystical (d8) > Wizard (d6); NOT: D8 Arcanum, D6 Primordial, and D4 Elementalist).

This will be corrected in updates of the document.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

There is an error on p14: Step 4, paragraph 2: It mentions that Gegdin has a "mandatory ability in Feats of Strength". He doesn't.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:There is an error on p14: Step 4, paragraph 2: It mentions that Gegdin has a "mandatory ability in Feats of Strength". He doesn't.
Thank you for that.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

I found a typo on the last line on p. 16: the levels of challenge and ranks are shown in Table 2.2, not 2.3. And there also should be a reference somewhere in the text on p. 17 to Table 2.3-Margin of Success.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:I found a typo on the last line on p. 16: the levels of challenge and ranks are shown in Table 2.2, not 2.3. And there also should be a reference somewhere in the text on p. 17 to Table 2.3-Margin of Success.
Thanks again!
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Glad to help. I hope I can convince my group to try this game when it is my turn to GM.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Working my way through the rules...

On p 18, in the Skill Successions list, there are entries for Artistry > Acting, Dance, Music; and also Perform > Singing, Storytelling. However, in the Ability Descriptions that begin on p 19, there is no description of Perform, and the description of Artistry includes Singing, Acting, Storytelling, and Playing one Musical Instrument.

Personally, I think that Acting, Dance, Musical Instruments, Singing, & Storytelling are all aspects of Perform, and that Artistry should have new Specializations, like Writing, Painting, Sculpting. Thus:

Artistry > Writing, Painting, Sculpting
Perform > Acting, Dance, Musical Instrument, Singing, Storytelling
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Another error: In the boxed text at the top of p 27, it states that "Dangerous Dave brandishes his sword, and then rushes headlong into battle...with his footman's mace." He should be brandishing his mace...
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

dunbruha wrote:Working my way through the rules...

On p 18, in the Skill Successions list, there are entries for Artistry > Acting, Dance, Music; and also Perform > Singing, Storytelling. However, in the Ability Descriptions that begin on p 19, there is no description of Perform, and the description of Artistry includes Singing, Acting, Storytelling, and Playing one Musical Instrument.

Personally, I think that Acting, Dance, Musical Instruments, Singing, & Storytelling are all aspects of Perform, and that Artistry should have new Specializations, like Writing, Painting, Sculpting. Thus:

That was my thought too. Performing involves a non-physical work of art that only exists while you are performing it, while Artistry creates a physical object that is more long-lasting.
Dieter Zimmerman
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:Another error: In the boxed text at the top of p 27, it states that "Dangerous Dave brandishes his sword, and then rushes headlong into battle...with his footman's mace." He should be brandishing his mace...
Dangerous Dave is a tricky man indeed ;-)
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

mythfish wrote:
dunbruha wrote:Working my way through the rules...

That was my thought too. Performing involves a non-physical work of art that only exists while you are performing it, while Artistry creates a physical object that is more long-lasting.
Okay, I'll make the change.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

dancross wrote:
mythfish wrote: That was my thought too. Performing involves a non-physical work of art that only exists while you are performing it, while Artistry creates a physical object that is more long-lasting.
Okay, I'll make the change.
While I'm thinking about it, you could also just get rid of Artistry entirely and fold it into Handicraft. When it comes down to it, there's not much difference on a conceptual level between making a painting and making a table.
Dieter Zimmerman
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

mythfish wrote: While I'm thinking about it, you could also just get rid of Artistry entirely and fold it into Handicraft. When it comes down to it, there's not much difference on a conceptual level between making a painting and making a table.
Don't say that to an artist... I'd just as soon keep them separate.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
mythfish wrote: While I'm thinking about it, you could also just get rid of Artistry entirely and fold it into Handicraft. When it comes down to it, there's not much difference on a conceptual level between making a painting and making a table.
Don't say that to an artist... I'd just as soon keep them separate.
Make an opposed roll. Dunbruha, you each have an ADC of 3D12. :lol:

Maybe some guidelines in the rules for expanding or shrinking the basic list would be in order. I think ERP works well from a "tool kit" perspective, a fact brought to my attention by Mangus, and others.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:Make an opposed roll. Dunbruha, you each have an ADC of 3D12. :lol:
21. Beat that!
dancross wrote:Maybe some guidelines in the rules for expanding or shrinking the basic list would be in order. I think ERP works well from a "tool kit" perspective, a fact brought to my attention by Mangus, and others.
This would be good, although it seems pretty obvious (to me at least) that the list can be easily modified to fit the particular campaign.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”