Aereth and 4E

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Aereth and 4E

Post by AstroCat »

Wow, skateboarding talk here. :) I'm an "old school" skateboarder myself. Although, just a week ago, after over 25 years of riding and no broken anythings, I at last broke my first bone. Ouch! So I am out for a bit. If you know Chicago, I skate the bowl at Wilson all the time. And, will again once I heal up!
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

This is all great to hear :) And yes, you guys must get the box set out ASAP!

Also, I'm 27 and have been skateboarding since I was 4. Here's a pic of me in 1986 with my Vision Tom Groholski board. ;)
Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (55.17 KiB) Viewed 29936 times
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Sorry the file is so big, I tried to shrink it to no avail.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Astro,

Ouch. :( I busted my ankle two Octobers ago, and dislocated my shoulder this past winter, so I'm with you. Heal up fast and we'll ride next time I'm in Chicago.

Red J,

That pic is just too damn cool.

All this has me convinced that Goodman Gamers are clearly the coolest gamers anywhere. We need an Old Man Skate Jam at Gen Con. There's a sweet ledge out behind the train station building.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I perched atop a skate board one time back in the mid-seventies when skate boards were thin. I removed the skin from my childhood shin and that was my last taste of the evil that is skate boards. . . .

Harley and Jason, both of the videos were neat. Lots of practice to do such things (and a high dex. score).
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Okay, we've completely derailed this thread, but I too have been skating a long time. I'm 37 and started skating in 1984, something like 24 years of skating.

My early years were fueled by the Bones Brigade and I skated street mostly. As I got older I moved to transition skating - pools, vert ramps, mini ramps, etc. Now, in the autumn years of my skating, I take it easy and don't really push myself like I used to. Nowadays I prefer concrete bowls and skateparks. Over the years I've been lucky enough to skate with some really great skaters: Tony Hawk, Mark Gonzales, Ray Underhill, Rodney Mullen, Bill Danforth, to name a few.

Skating has never been anything but a positive influence on my life and I love it immensely.

Skate and Destroy! :twisted:
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Harley, you don't like the fluff text for the PC powers? That's one of my favorite features! 8)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

We might have exhausted the topic, but just in case, I've started a skating thread under "Everything Else" to keep the DCC thread on track. :twisted:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =17&t=4869

Back to your regularly scheduled DCC thread:
xredjasonx wrote:Harley, you don't like the fluff text for the PC powers? That's one of my favorite features! 8)
:) I think the could have been a great opportunity to introduce subtly different flavor text that could really emphasize the different power sources. Instead, they all read roughly the same.

A minor gripe, really, but the bulk of my job is paying attention to flavor text, so it wore on me. :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Garuda »

jason.richardson wrote: [snip] I called my local shop and they're not participating in Free RPG Day. They claim it costs them too much money. So no Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel for me. : (
No Punjar for me either. I have bought several DCC products but as my local store isn't doing Free RPF day I can't get Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel. :(
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Another question:

Will you guys be creating Divinity Feats for each of the gods in Áereth's pantheon?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yes. Also, depending on how the GSL is worded, I'd like to look at merging the core D&D pantheon w/ Áereth. We'll see how that shakes out.

//H

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:Yes. Also, depending on how the GSL is worded, I'd like to look at merging the core D&D pantheon w/ Áereth. We'll see how that shakes out.

//H
Merging the core pantheon would be a stroke of genius.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I've got a good question!

What about Warforged in Aereth? I've got a friend who want's to play one when I start running the DCC's.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

(In general, if it is in the core books (and if Wizards' GSL permits) it exists in Áereth ... after a fashion.

But first, a cautionary tale: Adrian, Chris and I were hanging out with Ed Greenwood at a habachi grill one night. I asked how he coordinates his personal Realms-lore with the dozens of sourcebooks.

This was his response: "I tell readers that everything I say is canon – up until something different appears in print."

So, taking my cue off of Ed "Elminster" Greenwood, here's what I'm working with, but understand that it isn't canon until it appears in print. :twisted: )

Our warforged are distinct from the sort found in Eberron. I hope that's not what your friend is looking for.

Known Realms warforged hail from a specific time, and a specific war in the lost history of the Known Realms, when the sentient races were doing everything in their power to ward off a terrible foe. (Vague, I know, but you can find it in the Known Realms books.) One spellcaster, a master artificer, raised the creation of golems to dizzying heights, endowing his creations with sentience and --- some sages aver --- souls.

A total of 12 true warforged were created before the spellcaster was slain. (There are a number of theories explaining how and why he was murdered, but more on that later.) Of those 12, some have slipped in and out of history, appearing at key moments only to vanish again into the mists of time. And some have slept away the ages, only to awaken in recent years, answering some unheard call to battle.

Your friend's warforged (if he is still willing to play one) is one of those 12. Careful though. He has 11 siblings (some very sinister, weaving plots that span centuries) that have plans for him.

As always, grain of salt. Use what you like, discard the rest. We'll see if my warforged section makes it into the boxed set or not.

//H

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Harley Stroh wrote: Your friend's warforged (if he is still willing to play one) is one of those 12. Careful though. He has 11 siblings (some very sinister, weaving plots that span centuries) that have plans for him.
I never had any desire to play a warforged until now.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Warforged in Áereth? Once again my worlds cross and I'm left reeling. :)

I could offer up a bunch of different ways to use warforged in the Known Realms, but I'd also be the first to say that what Harley says goes!
I never had any desire to play a warforged until now.
Warforged are awesome. There's so many angles in roleplaying one.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

That's really interesting because he wants to play a Warforged Paladin, and he told me he pictures the Warforged having spent a very long time living and working in a monastary...

So that will make sense with the history you have given. He could have been hiding out/laying low trying to stay away from those siblings, or, well, there's a lot of possibilities.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Harley Stroh wrote:Yes. Also, depending on how the GSL is worded, I'd like to look at merging the core D&D pantheon w/ Áereth. We'll see how that shakes out.

//H
I hope this comes about. I dig the new pantheon in the core books.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Harley Stroh wrote:
We'll see if my warforged section makes it into the boxed set or not.

//H
Hi Harley

I've heard the "boxed set" mentioned a couple of times recently. Is GG planning to release an updated DCC #35 for 4e, or is this something else entirely ?

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Frank,

"1"

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

My lame attempt at a binary joke firmly places me in Frank's second group of people.

Frank, yes we do have plans to release a 4E Áereth. But it is less of a response to 4E and more of a response to requests from you guys. We intentionally left out a lot of the details, but folks consistently ask for certain bits. So we'll be adding all those bits, along with new world content, along with the handful of changes that came about through 4E.

A lot depends on the wording of the GSL. Can we call monsters by their core names now, or are key foes still hands off? So much still depends on the specifics that only Wizards knows.

//H

Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

I hope that works out! I like the 4e pantheon and think it's a good fit for Aereth. And here's to hoping you can use Drow, Yuan-ti, etc.

Re: Warforged, IMC I'd work them in as a force not unlike those thousands of terracotta soldiers, "deactivated" and awaiting orders in some underground citadel.
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I talked about a little more with my friend and he basically says that his warforged was probably found in a secret chamber of the monastery, and was somehow activated, either by the monks/nuns or maybe he activated himself when the monastery was attacked by undead and then he just sort of stuck around.

He also said that the warforged doesn't have any memory of its life before waking up. Perhaps that's how I could bring in some of those siblings as part of the metaplot. Maybe a couple of them are looking for him - to destroy him for some reason. I could use that for a major encounter later on.......
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

My question would be that since the campaign will start out in Punjar, and Sellswords of Punjar will be the first mod I run, what type of monastery would it be?

If the D&D core pantheon is used, I'm thinking that the monastery would be somewhere northeast of Punjar near the sea, and it would be one dedicated to Melora... But what if the old pantheon is used?
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Harley Stroh wrote:My lame attempt at a binary joke firmly places me in Frank's second group of people.

Frank, yes we do have plans to release a 4E Áereth. But it is less of a response to 4E and more of a response to requests from you guys. We intentionally left out a lot of the details, but folks consistently ask for certain bits. So we'll be adding all those bits, along with new world content, along with the handful of changes that came about through 4E.

A lot depends on the wording of the GSL. Can we call monsters by their core names now, or are key foes still hands off? So much still depends on the specifics that only Wizards knows.

//H
Harley

If there's enough new content in it to justify the price, then that is excellent news indeed. It would be awful to have to fork out a fortune though to simpply end up with a rehashed DCC #35. Whilst it will be fantastic to see more detail added, I hope you don't change too much of the basic premise and backhistory. My players have just got used to Aereth and would hate to see it change too much.

For what it's worth, I'd resist any attempt to integrate the WoTC default 4e pantheon with the Aereth gods from DCC #35. The whole religion of Aereth is one of the things that make the Known Realms unique.

Frank

P.S. I really would like to get hold of a copy of Punjar : The Tarnished Jewel, but I am not hopeful. I stopped off at my "local", participating, (not so) friendly local game store this afternoon on the way home from work to see if they could tell me how the 21st would work. To say they showed a distinct lack of interest in helping would be an overstatement. Despite the fact that I spent money there, they wouldn't confirm whether they had (or were getting) any stocks in and certainly wouldn't tell me how they were planning to hand out any freebies on the day. Basically, they said I'd have to turn up on the day and "take pot luck". As it's a 60 mile round trip and gas costs $10/gallon here in the UK, I can see the 21st being a disastrous day for me :(
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”