I just got the book, and...

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: I just got the book, and...

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I've got my pdf printed out and in protective sheets in a binder. I'm really busy with my job right now, so I only got through the first chapter.

I must say, I'm really enjoying it!
It is very well written, yet not overwritten either.
I'm pretty tired, but I haven't found any typos and all the "page xx" references I followed were correct - again, I'm pretty tired.

All in all, I'm still pumped about ERP and looking forward to delving into the rest of it over the weekend.
John Adams
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I've got my pdf printed out and in protective sheets in a binder. I'm really busy with my job right now, so I only got through the first chapter.

I must say, I'm really enjoying it!
It is very well written, yet not overwritten either.
I'm pretty tired, but I haven't found any typos and all the "page xx" references I followed were correct - again, I'm pretty tired.

All in all, I'm still pumped about ERP and looking forward to delving into the rest of it over the weekend.
I'm glad you like it so far! Now all you've got to do is convince your group to give it a try ;-)
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

*Rubs eyes, looks up from text*

Hey, this stuff is starting to make sense to me!
There's a learning curve here, but it's not that bad at all.

I think by Monday, I'll even understand how magic works in ERP!
John Adams
shocklee
Gongfarmer

Post by shocklee »

One of the approaches I use to learn a new system is to create a character. Your rulebook provides a sample character, Gegdin, so I printed out the Eldritch CS (Grey) from the web site and tried to fill it in. This experience left me with some questions and observations:

1. Table 1.1 on page 7 could be made a lot more useful. I would suggest that you add the point cost for the racial packages to the table. It would be nice if a page reference for the package was also added to the table. I would also like to see the CP cost of each option listed. I don't know why the use of the terms 'respectable' or 'good' (a reference to the table 1.2 on page 11) was used here, when almost everywhere else in the book the Die-Rank is used.

2. Page 11 mentions that "the player chooses the Intimidate ability at D6, costing 4CPs". Intimidate does not appear in the Skill Successions on page 18 - 19, nor does it appear in the Eldritch Game Master's Screen (from the web site). If this is an example of making up a skill succession, I think that should be pointed out as part of the Gegdin character creation process. I'm guessing that this is a resctricted ability (based upon the quote) instead of being a specialization. How is this used? vs. Willpower?

3. Given the prior confusion, page 11 should also be consistent in the way that Scouting is dealt with. The page 11 text mentions Scouting (General Knowledge), while Skill Successions use the term 'Scouting'. It is nice that the text for Scouting on page 21 specifially mentions specializations by terrain, which ties nicely to "Scouting, Underground".

4. Page 14, I would have broke out the calculations for each of the ADPs and PDPs instead of giving me the totals.

5. What is Pugilism a specialization of? I don't see it in the Skill Succesions nor can I find it in the index. Maybe I haven't read enough of the book yet. It didn't jump out in the combat section either. Maybe it is a specialization of Unarmed Combat?

6. By magic in the Deflect Bonus, I presume you are referring to magic items or spells? Nowhere else is this listed out for seperate consideration. I thought that was a little strange.

7. The Resililience calculation for Gegdin on page 14 I think is incorrect. It should be (6 x 2) + 4 + (4 + 4) = 24 not 26.

8. I think that the Gegdin example on page 24 should explicitly mention that he is using a Combat Axe instead of forcing the user to check table 5.1 or come across the reference on page 63.

9. I liked the Gegdin example appearing in the side bar in the early part of the book. I was curious why the text on the sample character was embedded in the text in later sections.

I hope this commentary is helpful,
Mark
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

Yah, we encountered almost all the same anomalies you did shocklee. I think ERPS is a great example of a great system unfortunately layed out in a not so easy to digest manner. Sometimes you really have to dig to find what you are looking for. :(

The good news is it plays really, really well! :D
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Wait?

Post by joela »

Ze Groupe wrote:Yah, we encountered almost all the same anomalies you did shocklee. I think ERPS is a great example of a great system unfortunately layed out in a not so easy to digest manner. Sometimes you really have to dig to find what you are looking for. :(
INTERESTING. Should I wait for a Revised, Updated or, gawds help me, a "ERPG 1.5" edition? :shock:
What do you mean no?
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Wait?

Post by Ze Groupe »

joela wrote:INTERESTING. Should I wait for a Revised, Updated or, gawds help me, a "ERPG 1.5" edition? :shock:
Don't forget to read the second part of my post. :wink:

Even with the wrinkles it was still awesome fun. :)
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

second part

Post by joela »

Ze Groupe wrote:

LOL. I didn't. I'm just waiting for the errata before I purchase the system for a review :wink:
What do you mean no?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

out (which is not a bad thing)

Post by joela »

joela wrote:
Ze Groupe wrote:

LOL. I didn't. I'm just waiting for the errata before I purchase the system for a review :wink:
I visited my FLGS to order Eldritch and was told it's out of stock from the distributor. And I had to be put on a waiting list. This is bad news for me since I planned to write a review of the game for rpg.net's Fantasy week but good news for Eldritch, which apparently is popular. Congrats! :D

Will check out other FLGSs....
What do you mean no?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

out (which is not a bad thing)

Post by joela »

joela wrote:
Ze Groupe wrote:

I visited my FLGS to order Eldritch and was told it's out of stock from the distributor. And I had to be put on a waiting list. This is bad news for me since I planned to write a review of the game for rpg.net's Fantasy week but good news for Eldritch, which apparently is popular. Congrats! :D

Will check out other FLGSs....
What do you mean no?

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”