4E DCC

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

4E DCC

Post by Warduke »

we've all seen this on the front page, but it deserves some attention here........muhahahaha!

looks like forges of the moutain king, by our man adrian! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
4edcc.jpg
4edcc.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 34226 times
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
grossout
Gongfarmer

Re: 4E DCC

Post by grossout »

Cant wait! I'll be picking up all the 4E modules I can...
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Academy, I'd like to thank...hey, wait a minute! I didn't write Forges of the Mountain King!

That was another author - someone with far more cred than me...looks like the image got switched around a bit.

Although...if you look a bit to the right of Forges...see that? That's my module.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Warduke wrote:we've all seen this on the front page, but it deserves some attention here........muhahahaha!

looks like forges of the moutain king, by our man adrian! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Oh man, I can't wait ... :)
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

so this one is an image from your dcc, adrian?

i see an ocean/lake and a massive sea dragon like thing .... hmmm. any more details that can be gleaned?

how many of these things do you guys have written??!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
seadragon.jpg
seadragon.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 34191 times
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

how many of these things do you guys have written??!!
Look us up at Gen Con and I'll tell you! :lol:
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....so, if we follow adrian's clue about the image to the right being drawn from a dcc, we can glean the following suppositions regarding the initial release of the the 4e dccs
  • forges of the mountain king (supposably not by adrian; shows what looks like an ogre; apparently for 1st level characters if the cover text is accurate)
  • adrian's dcc: something to do with aquatic environs. and clearly a sea dragon of some sort
  • unknown dcc (upper banner image) something having to do with what looks like a cyclops perhaps
so, perhaps 3 dccs w/ the initial release? (and i have to say i love the new art)
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Well, I'm not up on all of my Known Realms lore, but if memory serves there was some mention of the mountain king in the two adventures dealing with Kyleth, the Witch Queen. If it is the same mountain king, then the setting would be in the Northlands. Those factors should provide some insight to the designer creating the adventure. :)
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

tacojohn4547 wrote:Well, I'm not up on all of my Known Realms lore, but if memory serves there was some mention of the mountain king in the two adventures dealing with Kyleth, the Witch Queen. If it is the same mountain king, then the setting would be in the Northlands. Those factors should provide some insight to the designer creating the adventure. :)
So right south of Morrain in the mountains.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I like that the numbering seems to carry through from 3.5 DCC's.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I agree with the numbering. And if they ever convert all the back stock of 3.5 DCCs to 4e, keeping the numbering the same will make things a LOT simpler.
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

Just dropping in to say Best of Luck with the 4E products.
I loved the 3.5 DCC stuff. Sorry that I cant offer more support for the 4E stuff, but hopefully you guys/gals every now and then will be able to toss out another 3.5 Gem. :)
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

future 3.x products

Post by joela »

Sunderstone wrote:... but hopefully you guys/gals every now and then will be able to toss out another 3.5 Gem. :)
has that issue been officially resolved yet?
What do you mean no?
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: future 3.x products

Post by Sunderstone »

joela wrote:
Sunderstone wrote:... but hopefully you guys/gals every now and then will be able to toss out another 3.5 Gem. :)
no clue, I dont follow 4E news anymore
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
GnomeBoy

Re: future 3.x products

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sunderstone wrote:
joela wrote:
no clue, I dont follow 4E news anymore
I believe part of the 4e license requires no concurrent 3.5 material to be published alongside 4e. The rule is no sales of 3.5 products by 4e publishers after Dec 31, 2008, IIRC.

I'd say this is my two cents, but I'm saving every penny so I can pick up some more 3.5 DCC goodness before it's all gone!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Any of you guys follow OgreCave? Sometimes they get good news... ;)

http://www.ogrecave.com/news/goodman_dc ... view.shtml
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Good news for the future of Goodman Games! Three modules ready to go.

This still leaves the question up in the air about the future of C&C modules.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Any of you guys follow OgreCave? Sometimes they get good news... ;)

Nice!
What do you mean no?
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

goodmangames wrote:Any of you guys follow OgreCave? Sometimes they get good news... ;)

I like the new look for the 4e DCCs! Just to make it painfully obvious, will DCCs 52, 53, and 54 be available for purchase at Gencon?

There's a lot of neat info in the podcast as well. The partnership with Fat Dragon Games sounds like a great idea! I'm also interested in the line of "high-end" dungeons as well.
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Keolander
Gongfarmer

Post by Keolander »

Im not so sure about the artwork for the new DCCs. While I will be buying the 4E PHB, I'm merely doing so to rip stuff out for Castles & Crusades, but the new art seems to dispense with the 'Classics' element in favour of the new high fantasy drek. I had thought the DCCs were supposed to appeal to the 'old school'-style, only with modern production values.

::shrugs::
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Im not so sure about the artwork for the new DCCs.
Well, like Joseph said in the linked interview above, you have to differentiate the 3.5 modules from the 4E modules in appearance, and this clearly accomplishes that.

If you're on the edge of getting one or not, my advice would be to check the author...if you like (or hate) the stuff they've done in the past, you might end up feeling the same about the 4E modules.

Regardless...
While I will be buying the 4E PHB, I'm merely doing so to rip stuff out for Castles & Crusades...
...I'm sure they'll be enough "rip-able" material in there for any fantasy game, never mind the system.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Keolander wrote:...the new art seems to dispense with the 'Classics' element in favour of the new high fantasy drek. I had thought the DCCs were supposed to appeal to the 'old school'-style...
I believe somewhere there was a comment about moving to a 2nd Edition feel for the art style... I think it looks like they've hit that pretty well.

When I think about 2nd Edition art, I mostly see it as the 'camera' pulling back and the perspective flying up to look down on the scene or digging into a trench and looking up at the action. Or to put it more simply, 2e art started playing with the third dimention....

tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Wow - two of the first-release DCC's are by Harley Stroh. Way to go Harley! I can't wait to see what the Known Realms tie-ins are for Fortress of the Mountain King.

*takes a peak at checkbook, nods to self*

Looks like I'll be throwing more money at Goodman Games for their 4E DCC's.
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:Just to make it painfully obvious, will DCCs 52, 53, and 54 be available for purchase at Gencon?
I just realized that this interview was done right after GTS, so that may have been before the announcement that 3rd parties can only publish games in October. So unless something gets worked out, they will not be available for purchase at Gencon.. :cry:
Last edited by Nahat Anoj on Wed May 07, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Keolander wrote:Im not so sure about the artwork for the new DCCs. While I will be buying the 4E PHB, I'm merely doing so to rip stuff out for Castles & Crusades, but the new art seems to dispense with the 'Classics' element in favour of the new high fantasy drek. I had thought the DCCs were supposed to appeal to the 'old school'-style, only with modern production values.

::shrugs::
I'm sorry you don't like the cover art, but I can assure you that the content is still old-school DCC goodness.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”