I've always wondered

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Kaelthas
Gongfarmer

I've always wondered

Post by Kaelthas »

I've always wondered about something on city-mechs. Just how does something the size of a sky-scrapper walk around without digging up the terrain,sinking into the ground,hitting caverns and falling down-wards to it's doom,etc?

I mean I know it's a fantasy game but it's really hard for me to get beyond that when something forged of steel and stone like they are must exert tons of pressure when they come down could not move or exist like the are. They would collapse any cave of unstable ground around them potentially causing them to fall and be destroyed.

I also have another question...I can't seem to find it but just how fast do the city-mechs on average travel...in other words what speed do they move at?
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Speaking as a 3rd-year geology student, I'd have to say the city-mechs choose their course very, very carefully, and probably alter it just a little bit each time around to keep from making a track.

As for caves and unstable ground, they probably have that figured out well in advance and avoid those areas.

Which raises an interesting point. If they keep building city-mechs, eventually they're going to run out of territory that a city-mech can safely patrol.
Kaelthas
Gongfarmer

Post by Kaelthas »

Exactly and I think that is problem that is going to arise soon enough among the various nations. But ya I figured they do extensive diving and geological foreseeing ahead of time to prevent such things from happening.

Anyone know what speed a city-mech typically moves at though?
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Kaelthas wrote:Exactly and I think that is problem that is going to arise soon enough among the various nations. But ya I figured they do extensive diving and geological foreseeing ahead of time to prevent such things from happening.

Anyone know what speed a city-mech typically moves at though?
Depends on the size. I think a City-Mech F moves at about 25 mph, or 200-something feet per round.
Laughingcarp
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Laughingcarp »

Depends on the power source and size (as detailed on various tables pages 75 onward).
For tactical speed (ft/round) to overland speed (mph) conversion, check out the table on the bottom of page 71.
All of the above are in the main DMech book.
The only difference between a mage and a young boy’s pockets is that you’ll find more candy in the child’s
-someone not me
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Arek wrote: Which raises an interesting point. If they keep building city-mechs, eventually they're going to run out of territory that a city-mech can safely patrol.
We will likely be addressing that very issue in the background of DragonMech Battles. Just throwing that teaser out there. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

mythfish wrote:
Arek wrote: Which raises an interesting point. If they keep building city-mechs, eventually they're going to run out of territory that a city-mech can safely patrol.
We will likely be addressing that very issue in the background of DragonMech Battles. Just throwing that teaser out there. :)
That makes the...third or fourth time I've touched the edges of something that's going in be in Battles?

Are you hiring? Can I have a job? :lol:
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

After some thought, it occurred to me that you could squeeze more mechs in by cutting the patrol routes shorter, which is as fine as long as you're doing it to make room for mechs controlled by people who're on the same side. Eventually, though, territories are going to be bumping into each other and those damn greedy humans are going to be wanting to get some more elbow room and then you're going to have mech-on-mech violence done by city mechs, and the only group that wants that is Team Moon Monster.

Edit: And then you have lunar dragons just showing up to watch, snack on popcows, and bellow the Lunar Draconic version of "GO WHOEVER!"

Return to “DragonMech”