Is Etherscope Dead?

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

User avatar
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:15 am
Location: UK

Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by Garuda » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:01 am

I read the previews and such recently and found Etherscope to be a really interesting concept. I found a copy of the rule book at my local gaming store and bought it. I'm kind of treating it as an interesting piece of fiction as there appears to be no real support for the game.

Is Etherscope a dead project?

Do any players have any user written scenerios to share as there is a lack of publisher written stuff?

malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:39 am
Location: The Great Metropolis
Contact:

Post by malladin_ben » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 am

Whilst there's not been much out for a while, there is plenty of support available: The Great Metropolis, Upload: Etherpunk, Mysteries of the Occult, The Lemurian Candidate, Just a Delivery,and if you have the original hard cover rulebook you can also download the additional adventure, Cinnamon Rose, from the revised edition.

if its adventures you're specifically after there's two in the original rulebook, two in the great metropolis, plus Just a Delivery, the Lemurian Candidate and Cinnamon Rose.

Hope that helps,

Ben

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

The Great Metropolis will never die

Post by tadk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:34 pm

If I have anything to say about it Etherscope will long outlive other game settings.

What sorts of stuff do you want for your game.

We have variant character sheets, GM type help sheets, a few other unofficial items available as well.


Not to mention a fan written novel and a few short stories hanging out.

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

User avatar
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:15 am
Location: UK

Post by Garuda » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks for the swift replies guys. 8)

I've got the paperback core rule book that includes a couple of short adventures and the Mysteries of the Occult book too.

The more I read, the more I find myself wanting to have a go at running a game. I'm not entirely sure I've got my head around most of the details (especially scope use and how ether tech works) but I'm thinking about writing an adventure myself (time allowing) based on my own interpretations of the Etherscope world.

The adventures included in the core book will be too short for what I need. My local RPG group runs games in eight week rotations. I therefore need an adventure long enough to fill out eight evening sessions.



For anybody who is interested in why we run eight week rotations?

The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.

The Third Man
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm
Location: NZ

Post by The Third Man » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Garuda wrote:The adventures included in the core book will be too short for what I need. My local RPG group runs games in eight week rotations. I therefore need an adventure long enough to fill out eight evening sessions.
Although Cinnamon Rose is short (it was written for convention play) it contains the seeds of a campaign.

You can get the PCs up to level and introduce a few NPCs by setting some adventures in their vicinity: a murder at the Factory, a crime in Milo's neighborhood, an odd occurance at a high-class scope concert, etc.

After you've run Cinnamon Rose, you can extend the adventure based ont eh type of PCs you have. If they're scope-focused, have them have to rescue Sally from a System Agent compound - that's been taken over by demons. If they're not scope-inclined, have them follow up clues about demon possession in the halls of power (which can go either political or combat depending on you and your PC's preference).

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Adventures

Post by tadk » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 pm

well from Cinnamon Rose you can segue to Just a Delivery and that should cover the starting of your 8 week rotation.

feel free to ask any questions here.

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:47 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Post by mythfish » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Garuda wrote: The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.
That sounds wonderful.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

User avatar
qstor
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:03 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by qstor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I'd like to see a world book supplement out.

Mike
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

World Book

Post by tadk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:21 am

Hi qstor

a few months ago I started the barest bones outline of a America Sourcebook. It kinda faded into the background in my mind but I did start looking over my notes again just yesterday.

Would something like that be what you are looking for, or only the whole kit and kaboddle?
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:39 am
Location: The Great Metropolis
Contact:

Post by malladin_ben » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:35 pm

mythfish wrote:
Garuda wrote: The club used to have two permanent tables with the same old faces at the same table every week. The members decided if it was to attract new members and make the place feel like a club they needed to mix things up. We now have four or five tables running simoultaneous each rotation. GMs offer to run games and members sign up to play whatever they fancy. Members now move about for each rotation, play a variety of systems and no longer permenantly sit with just the same old faces.
That sounds wonderful.
I think it might be a fairly common method over here in blighty. We have a similar set up at the FLGS Nigel and I play at. Only difference is that there's no set turn around in terms of numbers of weeks, and as its at the only gaming store in a city of about 3-4 million people (if you include all the satalite towns) it's got a large number of games played on every day of the week. At the moment we've been playing as part of group that stays approximately the same with each game, but as we all like to GM as well as play we run games for 6-8 weeks. So far we've played WFRP, Rippers and are currently playing M&M. Next up looks like being Dark Heresy.

When I was at university the club was organised exactly like Garuda suggests. I've even heard of clubs where you're on a cycle through different groups on a rota, so that you HAVE to play with different people and play different games each period.

Cheerio,

Ben

User avatar
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:41 am
Location: Romford, Essex, UK
Contact:

Post by Arakor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 am

malladin_ben wrote: I think it might be a fairly common method over here in blighty. We have a similar set up at the FLGS Nigel and I play at. Only difference is that there's no set turn around in terms of numbers of weeks, and as its at the only gaming store in a city of about 3-4 million people (if you include all the satalite towns) it's got a large number of games played on every day of the week. At the moment we've been playing as part of group that stays approximately the same with each game, but as we all like to GM as well as play we run games for 6-8 weeks. So far we've played WFRP, Rippers and are currently playing M&M. Next up looks like being Dark Heresy.

When I was at university the club was organised exactly like Garuda suggests. I've even heard of clubs where you're on a cycle through different groups on a rota, so that you HAVE to play with different people and play different games each period.
To my knowledge, it isn't all that common. The Phoenix Games Club uses a cycle system which allows our members to plan what they want to play or run over the course of the year, plus it allows for official Club business such as the AGM or for social/one-off events like BBQs, Charity Quiz and Tournaments.

The reasons for the Cycle system are similar to the reasons quoted by Garuda; we've been using the system for over 10 years and with our membership numbers, it's unlikely to stop any time soon.
Gareth Larter
Secretary & WebTyrant | http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/
SysAdmin | http://www.deniableresources.co.uk/

MidmoSatyr
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Post by MidmoSatyr » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Quick question for those assembled. Where would I get Cinnamon Rose for free? I have the hardback book and I thought I heard someone mention that....if not please disregard my ramblings.

David
I got nothin'

madwabbit
Gongfarmer
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:17 pm

Post by madwabbit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 pm

malladin_ben wrote:Whilst there's not been much out for a while, there is plenty of support available: The Great Metropolis, Upload: Etherpunk, Mysteries of the Occult, The Lemurian Candidate, Just a Delivery,and if you have the original hard cover rulebook you can also download the additional adventure, Cinnamon Rose, from the revised edition.

if its adventures you're specifically after there's two in the original rulebook, two in the great metropolis, plus Just a Delivery, the Lemurian Candidate and Cinnamon Rose.

Hope that helps,

Ben
Will there be any new official releases in the future, or as a product line, has Etherscope reached the end of the cycle?

It's a beautiful game, that's for sure, and I've purchased all the books, but I am curious if this is all there's going to be.

The Third Man
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm
Location: NZ

Post by The Third Man » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 pm

MidmoSatyr wrote:Quick question for those assembled. Where would I get Cinnamon Rose for free?
Not free, but cheap: Cinnamon Rose

User avatar
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Somewhere in the CAS

Post by maded » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:00 pm

not my Etherscope, but it's mostly in my head

User avatar
Stomphoof
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:56 am
Location: Orlando FL

Post by Stomphoof » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:19 am

Considering I just ordered the Core Book and was looking at the other 3 main books I doubt it will die around me.
I say good man....have you any marmalade?

Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:14 am
Location: The Great Metropolis

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by Malladin_Nigel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:30 pm

Merely pining for the fjords :lol: We're always going to support people playing Etherscope as best we can, there's a good community and as for new products-we'll you never know :wink:

nachtwulf
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by nachtwulf » Mon May 19, 2008 11:18 am

Malladin_Nigel wrote:Merely pining for the fjords :lol: We're always going to support people playing Etherscope as best we can, there's a good community and as for new products-we'll you never know :wink:
Hmmm... pretty vague, guys and IMHO that doesn't usually bode well

Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:14 am
Location: The Great Metropolis

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by Malladin_Nigel » Mon May 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Cynic :wink: Its more a case of not developing Palladiumitis and announcing vapourware. We are working on new material and discussing how/when it may be releaseable. Lots of factors have to be taken into account other than what we'd like to do ,and so prefer not to get peoples' hopes up too much but also let people know the games not dead, but resting :D

malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:39 am
Location: The Great Metropolis
Contact:

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by malladin_ben » Tue May 20, 2008 12:37 am

Malladin_Nigel wrote:Cynic :wink: Its more a case of not developing Palladiumitis and announcing vapourware. We are working on new material and discussing how/when it may be releaseable. Lots of factors have to be taken into account other than what we'd like to do ,and so prefer not to get peoples' hopes up too much but also let people know the games not dead, but resting :D
Hmmm. Palladiumitis - I can think of a few other symptoms of that particular disease :).

But alas, this is not the place for such posts. I will hold back my rapier-like wit :)

Cheerio,

Ben

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by tadk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:57 pm

The 'scope will never die so long as i walk the earth
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

TheDavisChanger
Gongfarmer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Boise, ID; USA

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by TheDavisChanger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Just thought I'd test the pulse of Etherscope.
So, is anybody out there?

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by tadk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 am

HI Davis

I am still out here. So is MadEd. However the time spent on this board is kinda slight for me in the past few months.
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

User avatar
arcanus
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:20 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: World Book

Post by arcanus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:41 am

tadk wrote:Hi qstor

a few months ago I started the barest bones outline of a America Sourcebook. It kinda faded into the background in my mind but I did start looking over my notes again just yesterday.

Would something like that be what you are looking for, or only the whole kit and kaboddle?
Hi Tadk,
I'm new to the forum, did anything come of your America Sourcebook?

Is it available anywhere?

Max

User avatar
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Is Etherscope Dead?

Post by tadk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

HI Max

I have a bunch of notes I never got formalized
However if you want something, then it would be inspiring for me
Which is what I am looking for now a days
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

Post Reply

Return to “Etherscope”