Sinister Secret of Whiterock questions

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Dave Blewer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Sinister Secret of Whiterock questions

Post by Dave Blewer »

Hi,

First off, I really like this scenario, I am definitely getting the old school vibe from it, that I hoped for. However, I fear I may have detected some small "plot holes".

It's just possible that I am missing something here... It really wouldn't be the first time.

The owlbear can be one of the plot hooks which gets the heroes into the scenario. However, I can't see how it gets to the surface.

It is "trapped" in a room with the cistern on one side and the Forbidden Fane on the other. It can't climb up the cistern, and the sil'hel refuse to enter the Fane, so how do they train it. Come to that, if they do drag it through the Fane, they can't get it to the surface anyway.

Am I missing anything?

OK I have some fixes.

Rather than have the Fane be forbidden, the sil'hel have been feeding the assassin vine. You see, it is studded with the same crystals the owlbear is and they have taken it as a sign their "god" has dominance over plant life. What's more , the vine guards "holy relics" from their dim, almost mythical past. If the Sil'hel want to move the owlbear, they feed the plant first.

Further I shall have a cauldron already fitted to the lift chain with a cauldron, they use it to transport the owlbear. However if a bunch of heroes cram into it they might find it can't take the weight...

Thoughts?
Cheers
Dave

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting, at the printers NOW! New website, new information, new art!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Harley, these are plot holes.

We know you put stuff like that in there just to keep us on our toes. :wink:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You mean those kinds of things are not intentional to encourage GMs to personalize the adventures...? 8)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Dave Blewer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dave Blewer »

Harley Stroh wrote:Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H
It's absolutely no problem, I suspect my stuff is riddled with mistakes, gaff's and just general boneheadedness.

Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)
Cheers
Dave

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting, at the printers NOW! New website, new information, new art!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)
All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:
*laugh* Exactly!
Dave Blewer wrote:Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)
Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Blewer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dave Blewer »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Dave Blewer wrote:et me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)
Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H
I shall report back... Soon :)

I really like what I have seen of the DCC series, They are easy to "Savage" as well :)
Cheers
Dave

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

I finished running 51.5 in my tabletop game this last weekend, and will report on it soon in my campaign thread.

I decided that the sih'hel toss the occasional captured prisoner down the pit into the well chamber below to feed the owlbear, effectively appeasing the Voracious Spirit-Beast of the Pit. Thus it never actually left the dungeon or the chamber it grew up in. When not being fed prisoners, it snacked on rats from the well chamber.

The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Dave Blewer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dave Blewer »

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote: The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.
Yes, I have added a wall crawling ability to the sih'hel as well.
Cheers
Dave

Return to “Castle Whiterock”