Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sinister Secret of Whiterock questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hi,

First off, I really like this scenario, I am definitely getting the old school vibe from it, that I hoped for. However, I fear I may have detected some small "plot holes".

It's just possible that I am missing something here... It really wouldn't be the first time.

The owlbear can be one of the plot hooks which gets the heroes into the scenario. However, I can't see how it gets to the surface.

It is "trapped" in a room with the cistern on one side and the Forbidden Fane on the other. It can't climb up the cistern, and the sil'hel refuse to enter the Fane, so how do they train it. Come to that, if they do drag it through the Fane, they can't get it to the surface anyway.

Am I missing anything?

OK I have some fixes.

Rather than have the Fane be forbidden, the sil'hel have been feeding the assassin vine. You see, it is studded with the same crystals the owlbear is and they have taken it as a sign their "god" has dominance over plant life. What's more , the vine guards "holy relics" from their dim, almost mythical past. If the Sil'hel want to move the owlbear, they feed the plant first.

Further I shall have a cauldron already fitted to the lift chain with a cauldron, they use it to transport the owlbear. However if a bunch of heroes cram into it they might find it can't take the weight...

Thoughts?

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting, at the printers NOW! New website, new information, new art!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:11 pm 
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Harley, these are plot holes.

We know you put stuff like that in there just to keep us on our toes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

You mean those kinds of things are not intentional to encourage GMs to personalize the adventures...? 8)

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:12 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Harley Stroh wrote:
Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H

It's absolutely no problem, I suspect my stuff is riddled with mistakes, gaff's and just general boneheadedness.

Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting, at the printers NOW! New website, new information, new art!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Harley Stroh wrote:
Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)

All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:08 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

GnomeBoy wrote:
All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:

*laugh* Exactly!

Dave Blewer wrote:
Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)

Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H

Last edited by Harley Stroh on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Harley Stroh wrote:
Dave Blewer wrote:
et me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)

Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H

I shall report back... Soon :)

I really like what I have seen of the DCC series, They are easy to "Savage" as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:11 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I finished running 51.5 in my tabletop game this last weekend, and will report on it soon in my campaign thread.

I decided that the sih'hel toss the occasional captured prisoner down the pit into the well chamber below to feed the owlbear, effectively appeasing the Voracious Spirit-Beast of the Pit. Thus it never actually left the dungeon or the chamber it grew up in. When not being fed prisoners, it snacked on rats from the well chamber.

The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.

Castle Whiterock Kills: Image x10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:
The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.

Yes, I have added a wall crawling ability to the sih'hel as well.