Multiple Opponents Question

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Multiple Opponents Question

Post by Eisenmann »

First I have to say that I am very much looking forward to getting my mitts on this game. I am very impressed with what I've seen so far.

My question pertains to the situation where multiple opponents gang up on a single combatant. For example, two orcs are facing down an intrepid adventurer. Would the two orcs' potential threat points be summed together as one total or would they each be handled individually? Or is something like this not likely since it would be sorted by how initiative is handled?

Thanks!
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Multiple Opponents Question

Post by dancross »

Eisenmann wrote:First I have to say that I am very much looking forward to getting my mitts on this game. I am very impressed with what I've seen so far.

My question pertains to the situation where multiple opponents gang up on a single combatant. For example, two orcs are facing down an intrepid adventurer. Would the two orcs' potential threat points be summed together as one total or would they each be handled individually? Or is something like this not likely since it would be sorted by how initiative is handled?

Thanks!
Hello! I'm excited to hear another person who is looking forward to this game. If this board is any indication, we're going to have a very nice community of creative GMs and players grow around this material.

As for multiple opponents attacking a single combatant, each opponent gets to roll an attack. For example:

Brave, brave Sir Robin is surrounded by a goblin leader (standard monster), an orc holding a short bow (fodder), and a fodder orc wielding a short sword...they look like this...

Goblin Leader
Type: Standard creature.
Threat Rank: 2D6 Close combat (usually
a club or rusty sword), D4 Missile (usually short bow), and no
magic.
EA: no extra attacks.
Hit points: 12.
Resilience: 6.
Battle Phase: Fair - D6.
Notes: wields a hand axe (harm +1, init +2).
Armor: leather D6.

(x2) Common Orc
TY: Fodder
TR: D8 Close combat (usually
a club or sword), D4 Missile
(usually short bow), and no
magic.
EA: No extra attacks.
HP: 8.
RS: 4
BP: D4

Let's say Sir Robin acts in battle phase D4, so he will act in the same phase as both orcs. The goblin leader, acting in phase D6 (or D8 if using his hand axe) will beat out Sir Robin each round (there are rules for Sir Robin to try and get around this problem, but we'll save that for later).

For reference, when two opponents act in the same phase, there is a subphase order to follow, which is simple...

Subphase Action Order

A) Player Characters (PCs) act, or Full
Fledged Non Player Characters (NPCs)
that challenged intiative and won.
B) Full-Fledged NPCs act
C) Extraordinary creatures act
D) Standard creatures act
E) Fodder acts

So in this case, the goblin leader could attack, but when we get to phase D4, Sir Robin will beat the "fodder" monsters every time---in fact, he'd beat just about every monster every time. PCs usually go first in a subphase. Between the orcs, I'd say the one with the ranged weapon would go before the one with the close ranged weapon, but that's up to the GM. If both were at close range, the GM would have them each roll their attacks separately.

The goblin leader, because it's a standard creature would gain the benefit of weapon specific advantages (like harm bonus, initiative bonus, etc). He could also split his 2D6 into two attacks against Sir Robin (which would allow his opponent two separate defense attempts as well).

In all, in a single round, Sir robin could face up to four attacks from these three creatures. Two maximum from the goblin leader in phase D6, and two from the orcs in phase D4.
Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eisenmann »

Thanks, Dan. Cleared up my question completely.

With the added info I am looking forward to the game even more. I didn't know that was even possible! lol

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”