Gen Con Wishlist

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Gen Con Wishlist

Post by Warduke »

so let's pretend for a moment that they got it right this year and gen con was EXACTLY the dream convention you've always wanted it to be ........... what would it have?

*for me i'd love to have enough dms to run a 24 hour dcc-only room. at any time of the day i could come in and see half a dozen pickup dccs being run.

*goodman games giveaways, every day, just like last year. this was b*itchin'. every day i dropped by the booth, and every day someone smiled and gave me an awesome adventure.

*dragonmech battles fight simulator. (okay so this is a little silly) but i'd love to see a sit-in video game chamber that allowed me to play a computer version of dm:b. :):):)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Gen Con Wishlist

Post by mythfish »

Warduke wrote: *dragonmech battles fight simulator. (okay so this is a little silly) but i'd love to see a sit-in video game chamber that allowed me to play a computer version of dm:b. :):):)
I think it's on the schedule for 2009. :P

But seriously, are there any fantasy steam-tech MMORPGs? Or mech-based MMORPGs?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

A GenCon wish list already?!?

:Fathead squeals like an excited kid on Christmas

Warduke, you are now my favorite poster. Feel free to add "Fathead's Favorite Poster" to your sig.

My GenCon WishList:

I'd 2nd the giveaways...that was a pleasant surprise...not necessary, but I'll gleefully cram any freebies into my backpack.

I'd throw in:

Larger table sizes (number of players per table) for tournament games. There always seem to be A LOT of people scrambling for the DCC tournament tickets (which may explain why it sells out so quickly).

Better registration for whole teams. I'm not sure if this one can be remedied at all (since we have to go through the GenCon reg system), but it's stressful trying to get a whole table worth of tickets (I've had to order two different time slots one year, just so that I could get the entire table...it was easy enough to sell the tickets to another eager group, but still...).

I don't know about a 24 hour DCC room (they'd have some VERY tired GMs...and I think you'd make Adrian cry), but it would be cool to have a DCC gaming get-together - authors and fans running DCC modules or DCC style dungeon crawls. One room crammed shoulder-to-shoulder full of smelly, excitable gamers!

Bring back Erol Otus. The man is a legend, and a fantastic draw to the booth (at least in my opinion).

Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now. That's a pretty good start though. :wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My wish list was to be able to take off work and attend.
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

JediOre wrote:My wish list was to be able to take off work and attend.
I'll second that and add, Wish I had the $$ to attend. But failing that, I
wish that Warduke picks up some koo stuff for me!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Arrk wrote:
JediOre wrote:My wish list was to be able to take off work and attend.
I'll second that and add, Wish I had the $$ to attend. But failing that, I
wish that Warduke picks up some koo stuff for me!

*looks for the words that were just in his mouth...*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

pm me your mailing addresses when we get closer to the con and i'll mail you guys copies of whatever (if anything) goodman games gives away. :)

it's not fun unless it's fun for everyone!
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

Warduke wrote:pm me your mailing addresses when we get closer to the con and i'll mail you guys copies of whatever (if anything) goodman games gives away. :)

it's not fun unless it's fun for everyone!
Sweet! You guys rule.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

fathead wrote:Larger table sizes (number of players per table) for tournament games. There always seem to be A LOT of people scrambling for the DCC tournament tickets (which may explain why it sells out so quickly).
That or just MORE tables. It's crazy how fast the tournament sells out.
Better registration for whole teams. I'm not sure if this one can be remedied at all (since we have to go through the GenCon reg system), but it's stressful trying to get a whole table worth of tickets (I've had to order two different time slots one year, just so that I could get the entire table...it was easy enough to sell the tickets to another eager group, but still...).
Man, I hear you. This one i blame on gen con. I wish there was a way we could block out tournaments, or that Goodman Games hold a limited slots for returning teams. Again, like Fats said, this is probably a gen con issue that can't be changed.
I don't know about a 24 hour DCC room (they'd have some VERY tired GMs...and I think you'd make Adrian cry), but it would be cool to have a DCC gaming get-together - authors and fans running DCC modules or DCC style dungeon crawls. One room crammed shoulder-to-shoulder full of smelly, excitable gamers!
Love it. Two thumbs up. Maybe the Kentucky Fried Gaming night?
Bring back Erol Otus. The man is a legend, and a fantastic draw to the booth (at least in my opinion).
4 thumbs up!!!!! Erol is an awesome man. I'd love to see him back this year.

This year I resolve to forgo Steak-n-Shake. That place is bad news. :)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

That or just MORE tables. It's crazy how fast the tournament sells out.
Muwahahahaha!
Man, I hear you. This one i blame on gen con. I wish there was a way we could block out tournaments, or that Goodman Games hold a limited slots for returning teams. Again, like Fats said, this is probably a gen con issue that can't be changed.
MU-HU-HAHAHAHAHA!
I don't know about a 24 hour DCC room
That's a pretty cool idea.
(they'd have some VERY tired GMs...and I think you'd make Adrian cry)
And nobody wants that. Right? Nobody? Crap.

Erol Otus was really cool. I only get to spend about 10 minutes per con at the GG booth, and I was lucky enough to have that time overlap with him being at the booth. After I completely geeked out all over him, I thanked him for doing some art for Devil-Lich (from which I derive my avatar and board name...my first published material).
This year I resolve to forgo Steak-n-Shake. That place is bad news.
See...last year I kicked myself for NOT getting to SnS. It's like the auto-da-fe...it's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway.

My Wish List for Gen Con:
- more than 20 minutes in the dealer's room
- FINALLY have the free breakfast at the Embassy Suites
- NOT having to completely rewrite the tournament schedule at 11pm on Wednesday
- event tickets that aren't mis-printed
- a respectable GG showing at the ENnies
- the ability to siphon enthusiasm and energy from Harley and Brendan and use it to transform this decayed form into Ad-raa, the Ever-Gaming!
- minions, minions, minions
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:
Love it. Two thumbs up. Maybe the Kentucky Fried Gaming night?
Hell, yeah. KFG Wednesday would be a great place. I'll be GMing another dungeon crawl for KFG again this year. I'd love to see some DCC games run there.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Where does the KFG usually take place?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:Where does the KFG usually take place?
Last year it was held at the RAM (back room)...and it was overflowing. This year, they're booking some additional rooms in the convention center as well...so it will be held at both locations.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: MU-HU-HAHAHAHAHA!
The scary thing is that Jengenritz actually does laugh like that...creeps me out every time...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: - more than 20 minutes in the dealer's room
Did Peter not let you off of your duty as hall monitor? Did he ever send you your bonus check?
Jengenritz wrote: - NOT having to completely rewrite the tournament schedule at 11pm on Wednesday
Alright...I'm curious...
Jengenritz wrote: - the ability to siphon enthusiasm and energy from Harley and Brendan and use it to transform this decayed form into Ad-raa, the Ever-Gaming!
I believe you'll get that ability in 4E. I read it on a designers blog somewhere...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I'd like to have time to hang out with some of you yahoos. Maybe even outside the convention center. :shock:
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

hmmmmm

I'd like to have time to play a game (one that I am not trunning). :D

As a DCC tournament slave, I don't have a lot of time. I would love to jump into a DCC that I don't own, or maybe one of Dieter's games of DragonMech. Last year I was almost on Ben Waxman's Xcrawl team, until we realized I would have a problem making the second round. :(

I think it has been mentioned before, but maybe we could have a game for the Tournament judges. That would be way cool. 8)

Mouse

PS It was very sucky trying to find any RPG's last year (the way Gen Con scattered everything around). I hope this year is better.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Mouse wrote:Last year I was almost on Ben Waxman's Xcrawl team, until we realized I would have a problem making the second round. :(
Yeah...I had wanted to play XCrawl as well, and had the same problem - I didn't want to leave a team without a player if I couldn't make the 2nd round. I'm hoping to give XCrawl a shot this year though...
Mouse wrote: I think it has been mentioned before, but maybe we could have a game for the Tournament judges. That would be way cool. 8)
I'd be happy to run a dungeon crawl for some of the hard-working Goodman judges. Everyone can join the one I'll be running at the RAM (and have the availability of food and drink), or I can run one later in the evening on Wednesday.

I still think it would be cool to get several tables going on Wednesday evening...filled with Goodman Games forumites, authors, and judges.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

My wish list: Decent housing options. Ye gods they went fast!
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:My wish list: Decent housing options. Ye gods they went fast!
Yes...yes, they did. I was able to snag a spot at the Holiday Inn Express (just south of the convention center). In retrospect, I should have gone with the Embassy (I've heard good things about it, and I know that they have a free breakfast). Ah well...

Was the passkey website also terribly slow, or was it just me?

A note for those who can't get a downtown hotel: priceline.com is your friend. Just select the area, click on 4 star hotels, set a low price, and work your way up. Last year, I was able to get a 4 star hotel (8 miles from the convention center) for $60 a night.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

my wish list: actually play in a game.
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

fathead wrote:Was the passkey website also terribly slow, or was it just me?
It wasn't just you. I had flashbacks of BBS boards, Commodore 64 computers, and the good old 300 baud modem while waiting for it to come up. The passkey site wasn't just slow, it was glacial.

I learned my lesson from last year, though. I managed to get a room downtown. When you've got a bag full of games and a battlemat with you, it sucks to have to drag everything with you everywhere until you get back to the hotel ...
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:my wish list: actually play in a game.
I'm with you on that, N'Haaz. Three times I've been to GenCon and never actually played in a real game. I mean, geez.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

fathead, are you coming to the other side of the screen for dcc this year?
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

I think I've resolved to stay up later, game more, and drink more this next year. I'm going to have to see how if the tourney schedule agrees with that. I was really liking the "finish on Saturday night" thing, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”