Goodman Games and 4E

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Schedule dependent (that's up to the boss), I'd be happy to run "Intro to 4E" DCC games at Gen Con. Who knows --- maybe we'd even have free giveaways like we did last year. Come play the game, leave w/ a free DCC adventure.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Schedule dependent (that's up to the boss), .... Come play the game, leave w/ a free DCC adventure.

//H
Ah, for GenCon to be within realistic driving distance.....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

What cons are going to be happening around the last week of june? or shortly thereafter?
Thanks in advance to any replies.
Roll for initiative!!!
raptor112
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by raptor112 »

How about dragonMech? is it going to get upgrade to 4th edition? I really liked the setting and would like to see it get updated to 4th edition.
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

raptor112 wrote:How about dragonMech? is it going to get upgrade to 4th edition? I really liked the setting and would like to see it get updated to 4th edition.
Goodman Games is weighing its options for 4E. DragonMech isn't slated to be one of the initial releases, but I know it's a setting Joseph G is fond of. And we are working on a tabletop DragonMech combat game, which you can find out about in the DragonMech forum. In my opinion, it's probably the single finest game any company will produce in the next year (but I'm co-writing it, so I have a small bias).
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
raptor112
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by raptor112 »

Thanks for the Info, I myself don't really minature games but I might buy them just for fun. I really hope you do up date it.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

walrusjester wrote:
raptor112 wrote:How about dragonMech? is it going to get upgrade to 4th edition? I really liked the setting and would like to see it get updated to 4th edition.
Goodman Games is weighing its options for 4E. DragonMech isn't slated to be one of the initial releases, but I know it's a setting Joseph G is fond of. And we are working on a tabletop DragonMech combat game, which you can find out about in the DragonMech forum. In my opinion, it's probably the single finest game any company will produce in the next year (but I'm co-writing it, so I have a small bias).
Sounds kind of like BattleTech. I loved that game. MechWarrior (FASA) still holds my personal record for longest running single campaign (from '88 to '92).
Roll for initiative!!!
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

If you liked BattleTech, I think you'll like DragonMech Battles. We've got a combat system that moves faster and has more detail, and we're playing up the pilot/crew aspects of the genre.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

goodmangames wrote:
DCCfan wrote:I plan on going to GENCON this year with my son. If we want to play test 4E will you walk us through the new version at the DCC classic? I guess what I'm really asking is do we have to purchase the core books just to play or can we buy an event ticket and show up to learn the 4E game?
Good question. Traditionally our DCC games are oriented toward people who already know the basic rules, but this year we'll have a lot of people new to 4E. I assume that WotC will have some introductory 4E games, but we'll have to see. When we start scheduling DCC events I'll take into account the newness factor of 4E and try to find room for some introductory events.

The DCC tournament will most definitely not be the place for 4E newbies. Like every year, it will be a difficult adventure, and we're designing it on the assumption that participants have some 4E experience. (About 3-4 months of play time is the basic assumption, since that's the most anyone could have by the time Gen Con rolls around.)
I hope you find the room. If you do me and my son will be there with dice in hand. I want to give 4E a try before I invest any money into it. I think GENCON is the place and the staff at Goodman Games are the people to do it. Everyone I have met has been super nice and easy to talk to. I also apreciate the fact that you don't just concentrate on the sale. If I want to just talk about gaming and have a conversation your staff won't say hey I would love to talk to you but I've got customers to help out(person in WOTC uniform turns back on you).
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

DCCfan wrote:
goodmangames wrote:
DCCfan wrote:I plan on going to GENCON this year with my son. If we want to play test 4E will you walk us through the new version at the DCC classic? I guess what I'm really asking is do we have to purchase the core books just to play or can we buy an event ticket and show up to learn the 4E game?
Good question. Traditionally our DCC games are oriented toward people who already know the basic rules, but this year we'll have a lot of people new to 4E. I assume that WotC will have some introductory 4E games, but we'll have to see. When we start scheduling DCC events I'll take into account the newness factor of 4E and try to find room for some introductory events.

The DCC tournament will most definitely not be the place for 4E newbies. Like every year, it will be a difficult adventure, and we're designing it on the assumption that participants have some 4E experience. (About 3-4 months of play time is the basic assumption, since that's the most anyone could have by the time Gen Con rolls around.)
I hope you find the room. If you do me and my son will be there with dice in hand. I want to give 4E a try before I invest any money into it. I think GENCON is the place and the staff at Goodman Games are the people to do it. Everyone I have met has been super nice and easy to talk to. I also apreciate the fact that you don't just concentrate on the sale. If I want to just talk about gaming and have a conversation your staff won't say hey I would love to talk to you but I've got customers to help out(person in WOTC uniform turns back on you).
DCCFan,

A few of us are trying to put together a "Dungeon Crawl Wednesday" event at GenCon. I plan for it to be a free event, and we'll be running some 4E games. I recalled your post, and wanted to extend the invite. If you and your son would like to stop by, we'd love to have you. Here is the thread:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=3294
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Ill-Fated Peasant

beyond #52

Post by AvatarArt »

Jeff LaSala wrote:I don't know, AvatarArt. Stats blocks can take more time than you think. Putting out two versions of something as massive as Castle Whiterock, for example, would be pretty labor intensive.
Certainly doing something Whiterock-sized would be a Herculean project. With that in mind, isn't it sensible to get more mileage from said project via offering the same big book(s) to both audiences instead of just one?

And after following the RPG Superstar contest, I am under no illusions as to the difficulty of stat blocks. But its certainly seems doable, especially that the end result would have an additional market for each product.

In any case, please make more system neutral materials such as the GM Gems book coming out.

Thank you.
"If your DM has to decide between killing off the character that is just a stat sheet or the character with a kick-ass portrait, who do you think is going to bite it?"
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

It seems to me that it is faster and easier to convert stats over from D&D3.5 to C&C then the other way around. I'm switching Castle Whiterock over now. Still on the red book (not in a hurry since our current campaign has a bit further to go.)
Roll for initiative!!!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

CharlieRock wrote:It seems to me that it is faster and easier to convert stats over from D&D3.5 to C&C then the other way around. I'm switching Castle Whiterock over now. Still on the red book (not in a hurry since our current campaign has a bit further to go.)
Once I got used to it I just convert as I run it. Definitely easy to go 3E to C&C.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

Treebore wrote:
CharlieRock wrote:It seems to me that it is faster and easier to convert stats over from D&D3.5 to C&C then the other way around. I'm switching Castle Whiterock over now. Still on the red book (not in a hurry since our current campaign has a bit further to go.)
Once I got used to it I just convert as I run it. Definitely easy to go 3E to C&C.
Yeah, but if I make notes I don't even have to break out my d20 books. :D
Roll for initiative!!!
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

I'm curious. Ari Marmell, a freelancer who has done stuff for WotC and right now is doing some stuff for Necromancer Games, helped playtest 4e. By virtue of his playtest experience, he is writing up some 4e stuff for NG even though only he can see it! (he's the only who signed an NDA) So when WotC finally gets the GSL written up, NG should have something done and published relatively quickly. I've heard that one other 3rd party had a similar thing going on, but I can't think of who it is right now.

My question is, does GG have their own "inside man" similar to Ari? That is, someone who playtested or got a good enough look at the rules to get started on a 4e adventure? Obviously, this person couldn't reveal anything about the rules, and I don't want them to (well, I do, but I realize that's an impossibility :) ).

In any case, I wish WotC would get the GSL ready as soon as possible so people could get cracking.
Istor
Ill-Fated Peasant

On board...

Post by Istor »

Looking forward to DCC and other products in 4e. I pre-ordered everything coming out for 4e from now until August and was hoping that GG was one of the third party publishers that were on board.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up everything for 4e you've got at Gencon this year, if that's enough time to get products out.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: On board...

Post by JediOre »

Istor wrote:I pre-ordered everything coming out for 4e from now until August . . . .
Istor, how much did that set you back? Just how much is WotC wanting from each player and each DM it play the game?
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

walrusjester wrote:

I should have read the other forums more.... I just started working on 4th Ed style DragonMech... Hmm... maybe I should make some direct contact to see if I could get some freelancer work...
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
DaveMage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DaveMage »

So what's the backup plan if there's no OGL/GSL?
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

DaveMage wrote:So what's the backup plan if there's no OGL/GSL?
We don't know. I'm kinda sorta hoping WotC will at least be willing to license D&D to GG for the sake of writing adventures.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Joseph has still given every indication that when the GSL is offered, Goodman will jump on board...so unless WOTC intends to withdraw the offer, I'd still expect GG to go that direction.

BUT...for the sake of rampant speculation and rumor (which, admittedly, I am fond of) - If there is no GSL, it really doesn't leave many other options (other than continuing to produce 3.5). My guess would be that GG might go the Paizo route.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

fathead,

Do you know the sales numbers on the C&C modules & conversions? Would moving to Castles & Crusades be a viable business plan for Goodman Games if WotC doesn't share?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

JediOre wrote: Do you know the sales numbers on the C&C modules & conversions?
Nope. I'm not on the Goodman staff...I'm just a loud-mouthed fan. ;)

I'm guessing that they're good enough to continue producing the occassional adventure for them...I'm not sure if they are good enough to support GG's business...but I don't really know.

I've heard a lot of good things about C&C though. I'm going to sit down for a game at GenCon this year.
JediOre wrote: Would moving to Castles & Crusades be a viable business plan for Goodman Games if WotC doesn't share?
Good question. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be an option, should WOTC retract the GSL offer.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

fathead wrote:
JediOre wrote: Do you know the sales numbers on the C&C modules & conversions?
Nope. I'm not on the Goodman staff...I'm just a loud-mouthed fan. ;)

I'm guessing that they're good enough to continue producing the occassional adventure for them...I'm not sure if they are good enough to support GG's business...but I don't really know.

I've heard a lot of good things about C&C though. I'm going to sit down for a game at GenCon this year.
JediOre wrote: Would moving to Castles & Crusades be a viable business plan for Goodman Games if WotC doesn't share?
Good question. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be an option, should WOTC retract the GSL offer.
If the 4E GSL is a washout I would say that Joe only has three options, or a combination of them. One, Pathfinder is now an option. Simply by continuing to publish under the 3.5 OGL if not officially partnering with Paizo. Two, Eldritch Sorcery. Try and make their own run with their own game system. Three is the one none of us want, Goodman just closing his doors.
I don't think Eldritch Sorcery, or C&C for that matter, will allow Goodman to do what he has been doing the last 3 or 4 years.

Personally I think it will be best if the 4E GSL situation works. That way Joe can then afford to take some risks supporting other games, like C&C, Eldritch Sorcery, Dragonmech, X-Crawl, etc... This way we all get at least a little bit of what we want.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re:

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Well, thank goodness we'll never have to know! From this announcement:
Wizards of the Coast is pleased to announce that third-party publishers will be allowed to publish products compatible with the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition game system under the new Dungeons & Dragons 4E Game System License (D&D 4E GSL). This royalty-free license will replace the former d20 System Trademark License (STL), and will have a System Reference Document (SRD) available for referencing permissible content.

The D&D 4E GSL will allow third-party publishers to create roleplaying game products in fantasy settings with the D&D 4th Edition rules, and publishers who register with WotC will be granted the right to use a version of the D&D logo that denotes the product as compatible with the D&D 4th Edition Roleplaying Game, in accordance with WotC’s terms and conditions. The effective start date for sales of D&D 4E GSL publications will be October 1, 2008.

The license associated SRD will be available on June 6, 2008, at no cost. A small group of publishers received advanced notice and will receive these documents prior to June 6, at no cost, in order to prepare for publication of compatible materials by the effective start date. If you haven’t already been contacted by WotC, you will be able to access the documents on the Wizards website beginning on June 6, 2008.

Wizards is also working on the details of a second royalty-free license, the d20 Game System License (d20 GSL). This license will allow third-party publishers to create roleplaying game products in non-fantasy settings with the 4E rules. The exact details for the d20 GSL will be released as they become available.
I can't wait for GG to spill the beans on the first 4e DCCs ... :)
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!

Return to “Goodman Games General”