When 4th edition comes out...

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

When you get 4th edition…

I will buy DCC mods for 4th edition.
50%
I will buy 4th edition for DCC mods.
50%

Total votes: 10

WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

When 4th edition comes out...

Post by WallyTWest »

Just wondering what you thought.

Personaly im part of the "I will buy 4th edition for DCC mods" group.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

How about, "I will buy 4th edition to write DCC mods?"
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

How about "I'll buy DCC's no matter what, since they should always be easy to convert to my Castles and Crusades rules set."?

I was hoping it would be even easier with 4E, but its obviously going to be even more complicated with all the various powers per encounter, per day, per week, per month, per bathroom break, per bath, etc...
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

I'm often a bit dim but I'm not sure I understand the question or options. Are you trying to find out the motivation for people buying DCCs in the future ? With the way it's phrased, you can only participate if you plan to buy BOTH future DCC modules and the 4e core books in the future. That makes me ineligible.

A more useful poll (which I suspect Joseph would not like to see the results made public - for understandable reasons) might be

Question : What are your intentions regarding future 4e DCC style modules

Option 1 : I have bought 3.5 ed DCC modules in the past and will continue buying them after they switch to 4e

Option 2 : I have never bought 3.5ed DCC modules in the past but the switch to 4e will mean that I will in the future

Option 3 : I have bought 3.5 ed DCC modules in the past but the switch to 4e means that I will stop buying in the future

Option 4 : I have never bought 3.5ed DCC modules in the past and will not start buying them in the future.

The answers to such a poll might at least help Joseph establish whether his market might increase or decrease during 2008.

I won't be setting this poll up personally as I have recently discovered that Joseph does not like having business matter discussed on these forums.

Nice to see another newbie poster though and an attempt to get a bit more traffic on these boards is always welcome :)

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

I'll buy DCC mods for
...my ongoing 3.5 campaign
...to convert to C&C (or eventually to GURPS4e)
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

;)

I think I get it... the poster is just having a bit of fun I expect.

However, I'll abstain from *that* vote...

M
WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WallyTWest »

For grown men who sit and imagine dungeons, arent we taking this a bit too seriously... This ant' a marketing question.

I think it boils down to this. My question is are you a DCC fan or a D&D fan?

WoC is already disgouraging the converting of chactors and adventures between 3e and 4e. Rumor has it that the switch between the editions is ratical, changes in how the basic mathmatics and encounter philosophys work will have a substantial effect on gameplay.

Heck, techinaly I am still a 3.0 player. But the diffrences between DCC 3.5 mods and the 3.0 rule book did not affect gameplay in any signigifant way.

When 4e comes out, and DCC publishes its first fantastic mod for 4e (as it should be). What will happen? Are you scr#w#d?

If you need 4e to write for it, then you are buying 4e for DCC.

If you are excited to see what the first 4e DCC mod will be, then you are buying for D&D. Nither answer is "wrong."

DCC is a product for AD&D, but your philophsy twards updating to 4e is an important opinion, and a facinating one. One that deserves a stupid litte poll and some intresting insights.

And im sorry, but DCC without AD&D seems wrong C&C guys. I dont mean to be a jerk to the C&C crowd, but I really dont get it.

Now, If you published a d20 that was augumented to play DCC I think the right product would "feel" more like Blackdirge’s Dungeon Denizens or an old 1st edition book. Retro charts and the like. (Somthing I would buy and somthing alot of my friends would buy, but it would be closer to a novility item then a substantial switch of editions.)

And now I fell like a mega jerk. But if thats how its going to be, then I will be the troll. (Today I make no friends.)

Lastly I think that DCC is the best D&D product out there. The fact that Joe is willing to publish so many and so varied a product has sold me back onto AD&D. It is my dream to publish an adventure worth enough for DCC. So, Keep up the intelegent and awsome work!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jengenritz wrote:How about, "I will buy 4th edition to write DCC mods?"
:twisted: SRD 8)

(Well, I'll probably wind up buying it, too. But maybe not right away.)
WallyTWest wrote:My question is are you a DCC fan or a D&D fan?
What, you can't be both?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WallyTWest »

Of course you can be bolth, in fact you are encouraged to be. I dont think you can "get" all the little DCC quarks without it.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

C&C is the easiest vehicle I have found for the easiest use of all my D&D material, from old D&D to my huge 3E collection. I expect 4E to be essentially as easy for me to utilize via C&C as 3E is.

So since I like Goodman DCC's, and have been buying and easily using them in my C&C games I expect to continue to do so with 4E.

Now if 4E makes things too radically different, then I won't be buying anything 4E. Until that is proven to be the case I am a DCC fan, and will be even if I am forced to quit wasting my money on them.

I still strongly suspect I'll still be a buying fan despite the edition change, its still based on a d20 roll, and thats all that is really needed for it to be compatible.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

WallyTWest wrote:For grown men who sit and imagine dungeons, arent we taking this a bit too seriously... This ant' a marketing question.

I think it boils down to this. My question is are you a DCC fan or a D&D fan?

WoC is already disgouraging the converting of chactors and adventures between 3e and 4e. Rumor has it that the switch between the editions is ratical, changes in how the basic mathmatics and encounter philosophys work will have a substantial effect on gameplay.

Heck, techinaly I am still a 3.0 player. But the diffrences between DCC 3.5 mods and the 3.0 rule book did not affect gameplay in any signigifant way.

When 4e comes out, and DCC publishes its first fantastic mod for 4e (as it should be). What will happen? Are you scr#w#d?

If you need 4e to write for it, then you are buying 4e for DCC.

If you are excited to see what the first 4e DCC mod will be, then you are buying for D&D. Nither answer is "wrong."

DCC is a product for AD&D, but your philophsy twards updating to 4e is an important opinion, and a facinating one. One that deserves a stupid litte poll and some intresting insights.

And im sorry, but DCC without AD&D seems wrong C&C guys. I dont mean to be a jerk to the C&C crowd, but I really dont get it.

Now, If you published a d20 that was augumented to play DCC I think the right product would "feel" more like Blackdirge’s Dungeon Denizens or an old 1st edition book. Retro charts and the like. (Somthing I would buy and somthing alot of my friends would buy, but it would be closer to a novility item then a substantial switch of editions.)

And now I fell like a mega jerk. But if thats how its going to be, then I will be the troll. (Today I make no friends.)

Lastly I think that DCC is the best D&D product out there. The fact that Joe is willing to publish so many and so varied a product has sold me back onto AD&D. It is my dream to publish an adventure worth enough for DCC. So, Keep up the intelegent and awsome work!
Hey WallyT, you're not a jerk - mega or otherwise. Sorry if I came across too strong. If I did, I'm the jerk, not you.

I am probably in a similar place mentally to you. I love DCC, but am happy to continue playing D&D 3.5ed for a long time yet. So I am left with a choice of either continuing to buy the DCC modules to keep up with events in Aereth (and hope that either they are easily convertable to 3.5 ed or that my group and I convert to 4e at some point in the future) or stopping buying the product. I'm not sure which way I will jump yet.

Sorry for subverting your thread. I didn't mean to hack you off and hope that you feel that you are making friends round here. I'm a newbie myself and I think it's a real friendly forum - if a bit light on posts occasionally. Please hang around and continue posting.

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

WallyTWest wrote:If you need 4e to write for it, then you are buying 4e for DCC.

Interesting that you should mention AD&D. I like the DCCs because of the way they are written and the style they are written in. I'm sure a good many fans like the DCCs because they remind them of the good old days of Classic D&D and AD&D. So... I like and will continue to support DCCs for the sake of DCCs and the edition they are written in is irrelevant.

As one of those 'C&C guys', I can honestly say to me that C&C reminds me a lot of more of AD&D than D&D 3.x ever did and 4th edition ever will. But that has a lot more to do with personal taste. A DCC will always be a DCC no matter what game edition or version that is used.

:)

M
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

As one who plays Castles & Crusades I'm not interested in WotC's new edition.

Will I contune to purchase DCCs after they are written for the 4th edition? It will depend on how difficult it will be to convert the module.

As far as anyone being a jerk? Did you swear at us? Did you put us down? No. Did you express you option? Yes.

Welcome to the boards and glad to see ya!

If C&C had not been written, I would have returned to AD&D, but I would have lost several gamers since they had no interest in it. C&C acted as a bridge for both the old schoolers like myself and those who truely appricated the rules set of 3.X like Ragnar1965.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

How about I will collect "back issue" DCCs for 3.5 or C&C.

since, um, I don't have them all and it would take me another year to collect them and another four to play :wink:
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

Cardinal wrote:I'll buy DCC mods for
Yeah, my vote goes like this one would.
Frank5471uk, how would anyone answer option #4 there if they are in the DCC sub-forum?
"I have no interest in D&D but I like to read peoples' opinions that do." :wink:
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

CharlieRock wrote:
Cardinal wrote:I'll buy DCC mods for
Yeah, my vote goes like this one would.
Frank5471uk, how would anyone answer option #4 there if they are in the DCC sub-forum?
"I have no interest in D&D but I like to read peoples' opinions that do." :wink:
Good point :oops:

Frank
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stripes »

When 4e comes out I might have finished the dragon cult saga. Then I'll be starting Castle Whiterock.

I'll be good until 4.5e :-)

In all seriousness I'm looking forward to 4e putting an end to sleeping between every encounter, and the more fluid combats and making it easy to handle more critters per encounter. I expect I'll enjoy it when my 3.5e plans have finished up.
Jack Spartan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jack Spartan »

I won't be buying 4e anything. DCC # 52 will be my last . . . <sigh>
I'm always looking to meet new gamers in West Central Florida (especially West Pasco)!
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

I won't be buying 4e anything. DCC # 52 will be my last . . . <sigh>

Most likely true in my case with the possible exception of any additional 1e modules that Goodman might release in the future. That way I can go back and look for the few DCC modules I missed the first time around.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by slimykuotoan »

WallyTWest wrote:DCC is a product for AD&D...
eh?

I'll continue to buy DCCs if I can use them with C&C without too much trouble.

But obviously, if 4E's a radically new system, I can't see the point of buying something I'll have to rewrite entirely rather than easily convert.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

slimykuotoan wrote:
WallyTWest wrote:DCC is a product for AD&D...
eh?

I'll continue to buy DCCs if I can use them with C&C without too much trouble.

But obviously, if 4E's a radically new system, I can't see the point of buying something I'll have to rewrite entirely rather than easily convert.
That's why I hope they keep putting C&C modules out for me. :) I'd even buy it if I already had the D&D version, just to save myself the time (and really isn't that the biggest draw to a module, saves time?)
Roll for initiative!!!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I've seen plenty I don't like about 4E, but I'm pretty sure it will still be easy to convert to C&C, especially since most of the conversion work is simply "trimming the fat", meaning ignore what you don't need or want. With everything else based off of HD/level, well, easy stuff.

So I am pretty sure I'll be buying 4E DCC's, irregardless of my opinion about 4E. The power of C&C is amazing! :wink:
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Treebore, you are becoming one with the Force, er, C&C. :)
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

JediOre wrote:Treebore, you are becoming one with the Force, er, C&C. :)

:lol:

Naw, I have been "one with C&C" for over two years now. Its the perfect system, for me.
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

...and I may buy them for this! 8)

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”