DCC #51 - Castle Whiterock - DM Questions [poss. spoilers]

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC #51 - Castle Whiterock - DM Questions [poss. spoilers]

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

I thought I'd start a new Whiterock thread for DMs to post questions and seek help, with suitable warning for players to stay away!

I'll start things off with this: CW has two separate historical sections. The first covers the history of Morrain, and is in the Gazetteer. It mentions a few dates:

2675 BC - Sashrim allies with demon lord Obitu-que to become Harbinger King

2677 BC - Harbinger King's heralds first appear; 6 months later Vemn saves Jorem's family from shadow assassins; Jorem and his allies are transformed into statues in Hallowbrook

2689 BC - Company of the Tempest begins its ten-year absence from the Argent Vale (Morro is 21)

2699 BC - Surviving Company returns to Vale, confront the Harbinger King and defeat him

~2700 BC - Olland the Fey erects Tower of the Vatic Rune and disappears inside

~2710 BC - Gaelarra, Morro's wife, dies in uncertain circumstances; their child is ten years old

So far so good. Then, in book 1 of the dungeon itself, it presents the timeline of Castle Whiterock itself, in terms of years before the current date. However, no mention is made there that I can see of events in Morrain.

So the question I have is: what is the official current year in the DCC campign world?? If I have that, I can figure out where the Morrain history fits in with CW's history.

Thanks! (That sure was a lot of text to ask a simple question...!)
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

The "default year" for Aereth is 3200. I know the Introduction's timeline was synched with the one in DCC #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Errata

Here's a bit of errata I've spotted:

The maps of CW indicate north in a different direction than in the text; north in the text would be east on the maps' compass rose. At least for levels 1 and 2.

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Gazetteer Questions

Here's something else I've noticed, when going through the Gazetteer: Not all the towns on the map are detailed!

Specifically, Fallen, Goatshead, Kitchmon, Leavendale, Terro's Rest, Ul-Yahzmotk, and Zan Tarkham are left undescribed.

I finally got my hands on the Gazzetter of the Known Realms, and looking in there I found Kitchmon (though it's called Kithmon), Ul-Yahzmotk, and Zan Tarkham (though it's called Zan Tarkhaal).

That leaves Fallen, Goatshead, Leavendale, and Terro's Rest with no information...or did I miss it somewhere?

Anyone have further information on these communities??

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

It was intentional. Just like DCC #35, the idea was to give GMs a strong framework for their game, but enough room to customize the setting for their campaigns.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

missing towns

That leaves Fallen, Goatshead, Leavendale, and Terro's Rest with no information...
I did end up writing my own details for these communities. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post them.

I'm just about through with my Player's Packet for my game--a combination of photocopied sections and stuff I edited and rewrote to remove information I deemed not common knowledge. Just need to do a player's map of Morrain and I'm set. Huzzah!

Return to “Castle Whiterock”