Favorite Campaign setting...

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I ran Forgotten Realms for years on end. I played a little Greyhawk early on but a bad DM soured me on the setting.

My current favorites are:

Ptolus: what I've seen so far is really good
Iron Kingdoms
Forgotten Realms
Eberron
Kalamar

I'm sure DCC World will be up there at the top of the list when it comes out.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

I'm hoping DCC fits the hits the spot for me, right now I really don't have a favorite, I find enough about most published settings to decide not to use them.

Mystara/Known World would be the closest I've come to really embracing, I liked the 2E box sets, but overall it has the feel of a lot of good individual ideas cobbled together.
Akrasia
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Akrasia »

My favourites:

~ Wilderlands (at least most of it)
~ Known World (the original Gazetteers set at 1000 AC)
~ Shadow World (old ICE setting)
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

My favs:

1) The World of Jaessar (my own creation, standard D&D)

2) HarnWorld (published by Columbia Games and usable with any game system)

3) Argyle (published by Silver Oak Studios)

4) Greyhawk

5) Toddland (D&D fantasy world created by my all time favorite DM, Todd Gest).
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Okay, add Etherscope. Now begins the search all over again to find anyone willing to actually play in the setting.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Well, there's so damn many good fantasy settings out there. It is hard to pick one... or even three. But I will give it a try.

MYSTARA - KNOWN WORLD
My entry into the world of old D&D. And what a blast it has been. I collected all the Gazetteers and I will just love it forever. That's the way it often goes with your first true love! :wink:

AL-QADIM
Funny, I never actually played in the setting. But I own it and think that it was a wonderful recreation of that "a thousand and one nights" flair! And I loved the artwork and layout... then again, I am a HUGE fan of the new PRINCE OF PERSIA video games series. You know the ones, don't you? SANDS OF TIME, WARRIOR WITHIN and THE TWO THRONES.

BIRTHRIGHT
It's premise and artwork were just so great. The idea of transferring bloodlines from ancient gods who gave themselves up to save the world has so much BIG TIME heroism and grandeur... I just dig this kind of stuff! 8)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
grodog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grodog »

Greyhawk and various homebrews I've played over the years remain my favorite settings. It's good to see that other folks here still hold Greyhawk in high regard :D
grodog
---
Allan.
grodog@gmail.com
Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
francisca
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by francisca »

In no particular order:
Greyhawk
Mystara
Old-School CSIO/Wilderlands
Lankhmar
Thieve's World/Sanctuary (old Chaosium boxed set)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I don't use a campaign world, per se.

The world develops as the party adventures through modules. It makes for a truely unique world with a rich history, namely the backstory of the collected modules and the events that traspire with the PCs.
Gailbraithe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Gailbraithe »

Forgotten Realms has always been a favorite, particularly the Daggerdale region (I've run the Daggerdale trilogy several times). I love the Zhentarim, and I love watching them get taken down over and over and over again. Plus Faerun really lends itself to stories involving fallen gods, armies of demons, and other super epic level high fantasy.

Mystara is also very cool, and was the first campaign world I got into, but as the Gazeteer series went on, they started playing "one-upsmanship" and the series suffered from bloat quickly. Though I do still think Shadow Elves kick butt over Drow, and I still habitually substitute them for Drow in my campaigns. I'm looking forward to DCC #35 because it reminds me a bit of Mystara (hopefully without the bloat though).

The Wilderlands is the setting for my current campaign, and it's very fun. Best $70 I ever spent, and truly the boxed set that DCC #35 will have to beat. My players are enjoying the multi-colored humans, the barbarian hordes, and the way any sort of overland travel turns rapidly into a tour through the 1st ed. monster manual (owlbears, perytons, and manticore oh my). They're currently working for the Overlord -- I'm running Dungeon Interludes with the Overlord and Black Lotus as the PC's patron, trying to assemble the Occulum before Skullshank (now a Vashar (BOVD) wizard named Nyrodak) can, but as my PCs have learned more and more about what the Occulum does and what the Overlord plans to use it for (summon a demon army to destroy the World Emperor), the more convinced they become that they have to stop their patron too. And then, just to really confuse things, Skullshank is hiding out in the ranks of the Black Lotus themselves!
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

I used to really love Dragonlance but the whole Chaos War and the changes made to the setting have spoilt it for me these days. I long for the good old days of DL.

Although there was only 3 books released for it, Dawnforge is another CS that I really like. It has that classic First Age of Middle Earth sort of feel to it that really hooked me.

Currently though, it has to be the DCC world which has merged with my homebrew CS.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Favorite Setting

Post by WereSteve »

Michael Proteau wrote:My favorite is the Old (and recently revived) Judges Guild setting the Wilderlands, especially when connected with Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting as it was in the First Fantasy Camapign. There are so many possibilities in the combined setting, low magic sword and sorcery, high magic, science fantasy with lost or hidden and terrible technology, urban adventures in the City State or Blackmoor, or vast wilderness to explore and classic dungeon crawls around every corner.
Still my favorite setting albeit with a minimized science fiction influence as far as relics left over from prehistory. Time does wonders for technology not to mention the relative stability of certain materials. Now if only Tula, Rallu, and Virdistan would come to fruition ... but ... for now I will be quite content with the new modules coming out in partnership with Goodman.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

The first and only campaign setting I've ever used in 25+ years of gaming is the Judges Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy & City State of the Invincible Overlord for OD&D. Of course I bought the d20 release of the same by Necromancer Games, but I'm still using the OD&D version since we choose to play D&D using the AD&D rules.

I have picked up numerous other settings over the years, but didn't seem to ever grow tired of the Wilderlands. So, I kept on using what worked for my groups. Among those settings I've picked up, these would be the candidates for anything new, should the Wilderlands not work:

Greyhawk - 1st Edition AD&D
DCC Known Realms - 3rd Edition
Mystara - OD&D
Yggsburgh - Castle Zagyg - C&C
First Fantasy Campaign - Blackmoor - OD&D & d20

Yeah, yeah. I know...I'm so old school. :wink:

tacojohn4547
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

When I started playing AD&D in the late 80s, the Forgotten Realms was my Campaign Setting of choice. Dragonlance was fun and a good friend of mine had his Setting that he created. Spelljammer, as quirky as it was, was a great distraction.

I started getting my *fill* with the Realms ... shortly before WOTC bought up TSR.

Since then, and especially with the release of 3rd Ed, I've been concentrating on creating some material for my own setting until I very recently came across TLG's Erde Campaign Setting (which is now C&C's official setting). I found that some of the feel I was trying to go for was already present in this detailed little gem. Some of the crazy ideas I have had are just becoming dumped within this setting.

DCC 35 has attracted my interest though!

Moriarty the Red
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

For D&D, my favorite is Mystara/Known World. We'll see if DCC35 changes that when I get it for Xmas (as a gift or for myself, one way or the other).

I'm going to throw a non-D&D setting out here as well, just because it's been such a blast for me over the years. Warhammer FRP's Old World. Nothing says fun like battling mutants and cultists in the sewers only to end up with blasted sanity and a bad case of Galloping Scumpox! :D
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy
Frukathka
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Frukathka »

As per official campigns, I have to say Ravenloft, it has always caught my interest as I am a lover of gothic and horror movies.

As per third-party settings, I have to say Broncosaurus Rex. I love dinos and I love alternate histories dealing with the Civil War.
Jack Spartan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jack Spartan »

Birthright was excellent and I'm thrilled to see that there's another Harn fan on this forum, but for my all-time favorite . . .

Dark Sun! As a DM, you gotta love a setting that offers so many unexpected ways for the characters to kill themselves . . . :twisted:
I'm always looking to meet new gamers in West Central Florida (especially West Pasco)!
Scottenkainen
Ill-Fated Peasant

Drumroll

Post by Scottenkainen »

Gotta be Greyhawk!

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper
Steinkel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Steinkel »

Well, we use:

Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Gazetteer of the Known Realms

Ptolus

Blackmoor
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

jason.richardson wrote:My favs:

1) The World of Jaessar (my own creation, standard D&D)

2) HarnWorld (published by Columbia Games and usable with any game system)

3) Argyle (published by Silver Oak Studios)

4) Greyhawk

5) Toddland (D&D fantasy world created by my all time favorite DM, Todd Gest).
I posted this prior to the release of Áereth.

The World of Áereth is now one of my favs too.

And I don't know why I left Forgotten Realms off as it is one of my ALL TIME favs.

cheers!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Where can I find info on Argyle?
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Nevermind, found it. I am one of those who don't pay that kind of money for a PDF. If its ever on sale for under $10.00 it would be good to let me know.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Treebore wrote:Nevermind, found it. I am one of those who don't pay that kind of money for a PDF. If its ever on sale for under $10.00 it would be good to let me know.
Okay, this page lists the PDF for $9.95:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/advanced_ ... n_artist=1
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

jason.richardson wrote:
Treebore wrote:Nevermind, found it. I am one of those who don't pay that kind of money for a PDF. If its ever on sale for under $10.00 it would be good to let me know.
Okay, this page lists the PDF for $9.95:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/advanced_ ... n_artist=1
:lol:

Thanks!
CharginCrusader
Gongfarmer

Post by CharginCrusader »

I used to game in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Kalamar.

I have been gaming in Aereth lately and have been pleasantly surprised.
It is a very rich campaign world, love it.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”