Gen Con 2007 Special: Saga of the Witch Queen

Discussion of DCC modules published under 1E and C&C rules by Goodman Games, as well as conversions to other systems by fans.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Think this will be on sale online starting tomorrow?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

It will be available at the online store in a couple weeks. Lots of things to catch up on after Gen Con.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

I guess that means I should refresh the catalog every hour or so then? :)
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

SavageRobby wrote:I guess that means I should refresh the catalog every hour or so then? :)

Addict! :wink: :lol:
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

Addict!

He's not the only one ...

With the announcement of 4e it's time to start digging out my 1e books.
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

WereSteve wrote:Addict!

He's not the only one ...

With the announcement of 4e it's time to start digging out my 1e books.
It seems that there have been a few people with that sentiment. Though I am curious to leaf through the stuff when it comes out, I don't think it will sway me much.

If you're are truly thinking of a switch back to 1E, you might also want to check out Castles & Crusades. I *love* the DCC series very much and have played a few which I converted 'on the fly' with C&C. 1E and 2E modules are even easier to do this. As a bonus, there have been 3 DCC's that have also been officially converted for C&C.

Personally, I can only hope that the 4E material is just as easy to convert though I am a bit concerned that it won't be.

Moriarty the Red
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

this one rocked .... please tell me we are going to see lost passage of the drow in 3.5/4E form. those are some fun encounters .... i lost my first pcs to the dread passage thursday night! 8)
Last edited by Warduke on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

this one rocked .... please tell me we are going to see [/b]lost passage of the drow[/b] in 3.5/4E form. those are some fun encounters .... i lost my first pcs to the dread passage thursday night!

Hey Warduke - glad you liked the expanded Witch Queen release for First Edition. Thanks for the props!

As suggested earlier/elsewhere, we may get a chance to tell more of Kyleth's story at some point in the future. When and if that opportunity comes about, we may well indeed see a 3.5 Ed or 4th Ed version of Lost Passage of the Drow. Here's hoping, anyway!

Did you play through Lost Passage at Gen Con? I didn't know there was going to be a group playing it so quickly. I would have enjoyed seeing the adventure in the hands of another DM and group of players.

If you don't mind spilling the beans, where did the casualties occurr? :twisted:

tacojohn4547
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

moriarty777 wrote:If you're are truly thinking of a switch back to 1E, you might also want to check out Castles & Crusades. I *love* the DCC series very much and have played a few which I converted 'on the fly' with C&C. 1E and 2E modules are even easier to do this. As a bonus, there have been 3 DCC's that have also been officially converted for C&C.

I agree. I haven't played 3x in years, and I use the DCCs with either Savage Worlds or C&C. Its wicked easy to convert them to C&C - and C&C plays like 1e, only minus the inconsistencies and wonkiness.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

tacojohn4547 wrote:Did you play through Lost Passage at Gen Con? I didn't know there was going to be a group playing it so quickly. I would have enjoyed seeing the adventure in the hands of another DM and group of players.

If you don't mind spilling the beans, where did the casualties occurr? :twisted:

we played back in our room thursday night. i think i was the #3 sale of saga or something.

.............SPOILERS..............

we had 6 players, most of whom had played ad&d and they all brought books to play saga (talk about extra luggage ... yeeks.)

the party was composed of a thief-acrobat, a barbarian, cavalier, magic-user, thief and cleric. they were prepared for a pretty rough time of it, packing lots of extra potions and scrolls.

things went pretty smoothly through the first few rooms. things went downhill :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: starting with the crushing room trap. the cavalier sacrificed himself by staying the room and holding up the ceiling until everyone could escape. (the barbarian refused to go through the magic portal anyhow ...... the player lucked out that time) the collapsing stair cavern went fairly well with the pcs taking some hits, but pretty much charging for the exit. it was awesome that you included a place for the thief acrobat to shine.

things REALLY got ugly at the hall of the seven seals. the bone devil put a hurt on, and now the barbarian's player was wishing he'd go through portals. the barbarian fought off the bone devil to get everyone else througgh, but they had to subdue their own barbarian to haul him through the portal, which meant the devil got some licks in. i ruled the cleric actually got hammered through the portal, when the devil knocked him down to negative -7.

so now the pcs are on the other side, roughed up, with comatose barbarian and cleric, and no healing. i've never seen a group so worried each time i roll for wandering monsters :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i'm thinking of having the quasits stumble upon their hidey hole next session to really put the hurt on.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Please keep us informed. As a playtest DM I'd love to see how your group does in the finished product!
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

goodmangames wrote:It will be available at the online store in a couple weeks. Lots of things to catch up on after Gen Con.
So ... been a couple weeks. Or is that a California couple? :)
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

It will be available at the online store in a couple weeks.

Okay ... so it's been a couple of weeks since GenCon. Now when exactly will it be available at the online store ... :twisted:
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Echo ... echo ... echo ... echo ...

:)

Edit: And speaking of, nice review at Dragonsfoot: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25333
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Saga of the Witch Queen is now available at the Goodman Games online store.

Whoot! (Thanks, Joseph!)

tacojohn4547
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

And ordered.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting this in my grubby little paws. :)
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

Echo ... echo ... echo ... echo ...

Something like that ... just finished ordering my copies. Now all we have to do is wait to see if/when there will be some more 1e goodness from Goodman. :D
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

By the way, there's a 5-start review of the module on EN World. Yay!

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=r ... id=3781627

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

********************potential spoilers*******************

this session is a couple weeks behind, so forgive me if i get the details wrong ....

Saga of the Witch Queen:From Bad to Much, Much, Much Worse

so our heroes are camped out, trying to get their heal on. the quasits stumbled upon the heroes' camp, but instead of attacking ............ they lurked.

when the pcs got their act together, they slowly advanced on the high drow fortress. (the quasits followed after.) to their credit, the pcs were totally on their game. cautious, stealthy, buffed to the limits that ad&d permits ....

.... and all to no avail, for when they came upon the high drow outpost, they found that a massacre had taken place. bodies of lying all around, smoking ruins, and the stench of spellcraft.

the pcs investigated, eager to see what had caused the slaughter (and to see if there was any loot to garner)................leading them right into the trap.

half the high drow were waiting inside, the other half of the force (ettin, too!) was lurking back in the caves, advancing when the quasits directed them too. when the "corpses" sprung up and began to attack, the pcs laid down some immediate smack, only to find that they were caught between 2 very strong, very prepared forces.

the pcs fought --- and died --- valiantly. not one soul escaped.

the pcs awoke in the city of the high drow, ressurected/reincarnated into their new selves. then they were geased. then the high drow ruler (the pcs couldn't see/determine a gender) informed them as to their new role:pawns of the high drow, sent on a quest to investigate and eliminate the high drows mortal enemies...

... you guessed it ....

a little known adventure called vault of the drow.

:twisted: :twisted: :thunder crashes: wicked gms everywhere! raise your wine glasses in toast as we celebrate our collective triumph! :twisted: :twisted:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Warduke wrote:....the pcs awoke in the city of the high drow, ressurected/reincarnated into their new selves. then they were geased. then the high drow ruler (the pcs couldn't see/determine a gender) informed them as to their new role:pawns of the high drow, sent on a quest to investigate and eliminate the high drows mortal enemies...

... you guessed it ....

a little known adventure called vault of the drow.
:shock:

Okay, we seriously need an "I bow down to you greatness" smiley for this forum!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arakor »

Try this one:

As the WebTyrant for our club, I put all sorts of nifty smilies on the forums.
Gareth Larter
Secretary & WebTyrant | http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/
SysAdmin | http://www.deniableresources.co.uk/
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Arakor wrote:Try this one:

As the WebTyrant for our club, I put all sorts of nifty smilies on the forums.
Excellent! I've stolen smilies from other forums in the past, but have usually uploaded them onto my own ftp space, rather than steal bandwidth (however tiny) from others. Maybe a mod here can add that one to the list -- plenty of folks on these boards deserve it!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Arakor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arakor »

GnomeBoy wrote:Excellent! I've stolen smilies from other forums in the past, but have usually uploaded them onto my own ftp space, rather than steal bandwidth (however tiny) from others. Maybe a mod here can add that one to the list -- plenty of folks on these boards deserve it!
Should be do-able. The Club forums used to be a phpBB variant that was hacked for php-nuke but we switched to SMF. If the webmaster or mods want to get in touch with me, I can supply the raw images without a problem.
Gareth Larter
Secretary & WebTyrant | http://www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk/
SysAdmin | http://www.deniableresources.co.uk/
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Woot. Just got mine, and I'll be reading through it this weekend. :D

Return to “DCC Modules - Alternate Systems (1E, C&C, etc.)”