Writer Q & A -- Luke Johnson

A forum for discussing how to design adventure modules. This will provide a place to follow up on conversations at our Gen Con seminar on adventure writing.

Moderator: finarvyn

Luke Johnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Writer Q & A -- Luke Johnson

Post by Luke Johnson »

Yo!

While ordinarily a thread like this would seem narcissistic, rest assured that I do it only to fit in with my fellow writers. Thus, it is still psychologically unhealthy, just in a different way.

I've written some stuff for Goodman Games:

DCC #19: The Volcano Caves.
DCC #42: Secret of the Stonearm.
The secret, unnumbered DCC "The Deep Ruin" in Knights of the Dinner Table #117.

I contributed to DCC #48: Palace in the Wastes.

I've written all the (current) Wicked Fantasy Factory adventures: Temple of Blood, Rumble in the Wizard's Tower, and Against the Iron Giant.

I've also written adventures for other companies, including Dungeon magazine, the World of Warcraft RPG books, the World of Darkness (though they call adventures "stories"), and the little-remembered DireKobold.com.

I've written other stuff, too; for example, my work appears in WotC's Player's Handbook II and in Monte Cook's World of Darkness.

I have a website if you want to look at pictures of my handsome face! http://www.lukejohnson.com/index.html

Ensuing conversation may now commence.
Wicked Fantasy Factory editor-in-chief
DCC #19: The Volcano Caves; DCC #42: Secret of the Stonearm; and DCC 2006 Tournament Module: Palace in the Wastes designer
Etherscope developer
http://www.lukejohnson.com
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Hey Luke - has there been a particular project you credit with being your "breakthrough" into the industry? You've got a long and lengthy list of writing credits to your name...

I'd be keen to know when you felt you had gone from a dabbler or aspiring writer to the genuine article and felt "Gosh, I can do this for real!"
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Luke Johnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Luke Johnson »

When I ascended to "developer" (read: lead designer or editor-in-chief) of the Warcraft RPG line, I thought, "y'know, maybe I can quit my day job." And I did. Then I got a part-time job. But it's still a move in the right direction!
DCC #19: The Volcano Caves; DCC #42: Secret of the Stonearm; and DCC 2006 Tournament Module: Palace in the Wastes designer
Etherscope developer
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Luke Johnson wrote:And I did. Then I got a part-time job. But it's still a move in the right direction!
*laugh* Amen, brother. Is the part time job the stand up work?

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

How much do the adventures that you write evolve, going from your initial concept to your final draft? Obviously, the basic concept from the approved pitch stays the same - but do you find yourself adding in new stuff and taking things in different directions as you write and playtest, or do things remain pretty true to what you originally imagined?

My own earlier stuff tended to change significantly between "original concept" and "final draft" ... it's only with my more recent work that the changes between the two have been fairly minimal. And considering how much easier the recent stuff has been for me to write, I think it's a better approach - for me.

But I'm wondering if other writers have had a similar experience, or approach things differently.
Luke Johnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Luke Johnson »

*laugh* Amen, brother. Is the part time job the stand up work?
Well, yes, but my primary part-time job is presenting star shows at the local planetarium. "That's the Big Dipper. That's the Little Dipper. That's the Crusades." etc.
How much do the adventures that you write evolve, going from your initial concept to your final draft?
I think they stay pretty much the same. Except on those odd times when I try to pass off an adventure I wrote 10 years ago as something that's actually publishable; those I need to change.
Etherscope developer
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:My own earlier stuff tended to change significantly between "original concept" and "final draft" ... it's only with my more recent work that the changes between the two have been fairly minimal. And considering how much easier the recent stuff has been for me to write, I think it's a better approach - for me.

But I'm wondering if other writers have had a similar experience, or approach things differently.
Would you be willing to post some before and after maps and explain what changed and why?

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “Adventure Design”