[Tricky Owlbear Publishing] 7/7/07 - Mark of the Owlbear!

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

[Tricky Owlbear Publishing] 7/7/07 - Mark of the Owlbear!

Post by Napftor »

As of this auspiciously dated day, Tricky Owlbear Publishing enters the gaming community as a publisher! Headed up by noted freelance writer Bret Boyd, and his tech-savvy brother Scot, Tricky Owlbear is primed to offer new and innovative products for the d20 system and beyond. Tricky Owlbear will continue the popular Behind the Spells series previously produced by Ronin Arts (which will be available once again very soon from RPGNow and its affiliates). We're also pleased to announce a spin-off series called Behind the Monsters, which takes a close look at the classic monsters of everyone's favorite fantasy roleplaying game. There's something for players and GMs alike in both product lines. As an introduction to both the new line and our company, we're offering Behind the Monsters: Owlbear as a free download on our website: http://www.trickyowlbear.com.

In addition to regular releases for the Behind the... lines, Tricky Owlbear Publishing plans to release adventures for the OSRIC system, offer support material for Dark Quest Games' time travel supplement Temporality (written by Bret Boyd), and bring together the best open game content for a series called Campaign Theme Packs (themed content from multiple publishers brought together in one convenient place for a GM's needs). We're hoping the gaming community joins the Trickly Owlbear in its rampage across the d20 landscape!

Inquiries can be directed to: bret.boyd@trickyowlbear.com
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Bret,

That's great news. Congratulations! The timing is perfect as: 1) My Friday-night PCs are about to encounter an owlbear and I'd like to spice it up, and 2) as a huge Doctor Who fan, I've been wondering if Temporality would be useful in creating a Who d20 campaign, so I'm glad there'll be support for it on your site.

Best wishes!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Thanks, Ken! If you have any questions/comments about either product, feel free to post here or visit our own forums. And this may be sacrilege, but I'm really not sure if Temporality would be good for Who d20 as I'm not up on my Dr. Who. *hangs head in shame at being a time travel fan but not knowing the good Dr.*
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Ken -

The short answer to your question is absolutely yes. Temporality, IMHO, is a perfect fit for a Who d20 game. Someday, I'd love to run a one-shot using Temporality called "The Four Doctors" where players take on the roles of the Tennant/Davison/Tom Baker/Troughton Doctors ... :) I started some rough notes for the idea - Temporality made things pretty easy. But as usual, other stuff came up, and I never got things past the preliminary stages of planning.

Too many games, too little time. (No pun intended). :roll:

-Mike
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:Someday, I'd love to run a one-shot using Temporality called "The Four Doctors" where players take on the roles of the Tennant/Davison/Tom Baker/Troughton Doctors ... :) I started some rough notes for the idea - Temporality made things pretty easy.
Can I play? I'll take Troughton....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Yeah, Mike, that sounds cool! If you ever do it, I'll play Davison. :) Thanks for the info!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Not a problem! Always glad to recommend books that I like. :)

Hmm ... maybe "The Four Doctors" would be a good one-shot for a con. Gotta see if I can find my original notes for it.
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Thanks for jumping in here, Mike. And if you want to bounce any time ideas off me, you know where to find me. :)
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

"Classic" Behind the Spells return to OBS

Post by Napftor »

For over 5 months, the first 36 issues of Behind the Spells have been absent from RPGNow and DTRPG. That changes now! Tricky Owlbear Publishing, Inc. is pleased to bring this series, in its entirety, back to these online storefronts for maximum customer convenience.

"Since the series is now being continued, it seemed only right to have the entire catalog available at one place," said Bret Boyd, President of Tricky Owlbear. "We'd like to thank Phil Reed and Ronin Arts for producing 'Behind the Spells' for the first three dozen issues and for allowing Tricky Owlbear to sell them now at OBS in the original format."

On a related note, Tricky Owlbear is also selling the other pdfs written for Ronin Arts by Bret Boyd. These include the following titles:

Mallyate: An unusual special material that shifts form at its owner's mental command.

Substandard Magic Items: Takes the concept of scroll mishaps and applies it to magic items in general. Competent spellcasters use shortcuts and inferior components to arrive at a cheaper, yet fallible, magic item.

Treasure Chests: Presents 10 treasure chests (both magical and mundane) that DMs can use to store treasure or as treasure.

The 11th Hour: A short (but not necessarily quick) fantasy adventure interlude designed for use with 1st-level characters and to be played in "real time." Can your characters escape "The 11th Hour?"

All of this and more can be found here: http://enworld.rpgnow.com/default.php?m ... rs_id=4149
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”