The Plan for Free RPG Day Modules

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

The Plan for Free RPG Day Modules

Post by goodmangames »

Hello everyone,

There have been a lot of questions about getting Free RPG Day modules after Free RPG Day. I've worked out a couple good options which should keep these great adventures available even after Free RPG Day. Here is the scoop.

Xcrawl: Dungeonbattle Brooklyn: This adventure will be available as a $2 module in July (both PDF and print).

Wicked Fantasy Factory #0: Temple of Blood: This adventure will be available as a $2 module around September (both PDF and print).

Dungeon Crawl Classics #51.5: Sinister Secret of Whiterock: This adventure will be available as a $2 module around November (both PDF and print). We also have some freebie copies that we will give away at our Gen Con booth. More details on that will be announced closer to Gen Con.

I hope everyone who could visit a local store on Free RPG Day did visit a local store! Store-level results are what will determine whether we can continue to give away great adventures in the years to come. These adventures won't exist in any form -- PDF, $2, or free -- without the support of retailers nationwide. For next year, make sure your local game store knows far in advance to sign up for Free RPG Day!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Joseph, you rock. None of the *three* local stores to me, including the one where I buy most of my DCC modules, participated although I'm not entirely sure why. I'll try and do my bit to get the word out more for next year's event.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Thanks

Post by tadk »

Thank you Joseph

I know for a fact my local game shop knew well in advance
they are supposed to be moving to a new location
So the person who manages it thought maybe it would be in the same time and then lost track of time
so there were none of the Wicked Fantasy module for me even though I have prompted him since I first read about it

Ohh well I will get a version when it is up on here

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

I visited the Rusty Scabbard in Lexington, KY... and also bought $$$ of RPG and minis materials!!! THANKS JOSEPH!
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Thanks

Post by ChristinaStiles »

tadk wrote: Ohh well I will get a version when it is up on here

Tad
Tad, if you will send your snail mail address to christina AT misfit-studios DOT com, I will gladly send you the extra copy that I have--no charge to you.

Christina
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
mexal
Gongfarmer

Post by mexal »

Thank you for participating in this fine programme.

However, as it only took place in the US... well, I am a dedicated role-player but not quite enough to travel 3,000 miles to find a particpating store.

Will the product be available in PDF format at some point?

Those who released free PDF versions of their product as part of this programme are being automatically added to my forthcoming reviews list.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Thanks Megan

Post by tadk »

Nice site you have
I had asked and in a few months they will be available in PDF format

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Tad's right -- the PDF's will be released in concert with the $2 versions.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ludyee
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ludyee »

Free RPG day was fantastic. My local store actually only allowed one free product per customer and you had to roll dice to see what you got. I managed to make sure I won the DCC by buttering them up with a myriad of purchases.

I'm so glad I can get the other products I wanted down the road.

Thanks,
Eric,
Dragonskeep
Ill-Fated Peasant

We Ran Crypt of the Devil Lich (Went Awesome)

Post by Dragonskeep »

Hey,
We not only gave away all that free swag at Dragon's Keep in Utah, but we ran a great 2 round tournament of Crypt of the Devil Lich. We had so many players and not enough DM's so we had 5 full groups of 6. The DM's did a great job and everyone had a lot of fun. The tournament went over very well and in the end we gave prizes at each table and set up the final round of the tournament for 2 weeks from last saturday. The top player from each group will be competing for the grandprize on the last level of the dungeon.
We did a point based system for the per table prizes and did a peer point system for the best player to play at the finals table in two weeks.
Next year I hope that Free RPG day is filled with even more free stuff since we seemed to run pretty low pretty fast.
We had so much fun with the tournament we are going to run a lot more of them.
One thing we did as well is let the players create their own characters, with rules to govern their creation of course, for these first two rounds. The last round they will have to make it through with the pre-designed characters at the back of the module. We learned a lot about how to make these tournaments go off well so if any of you want to run one of these feel free to contact me via email or this forum and I will give you any tips I can.

Dragon's Keep Game and Comics
Provo Utah
www.thedragonskeep@gmail.com
www.dragonskeep.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

This is great to hear about your tournament. I've been throwing around ideas for Free RPG Day nex year. One of them was to do a tournament module, and include some sort of prize support in the box for whoever wins the tournament (like a cool tee shirt or something).
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Dragonskeep
Ill-Fated Peasant

Module Tournaments Free RPG Day

Post by Dragonskeep »

Mr. Goodman,

It was not that difficult to recruit players for the tournament on the other hand it was very diificult to find high quality DM's that didn't want to play in the tournament. One suggestion would to help us create incentives for DM's like special T-Shirts for those that DM. Example; "Certifiable Crypt of the Devil Lich Killer DM" or something better.
I would love to speak with you briefly about how to make these work well and create incentives for the stores to run them.

As one example of my ideas. Create adventures that alow players to create thier own characters, creating rules around creation, but requiring that they have the particular D&D book or accessory in hand to have any special items or prestige classes they choose. This way the Store benefits in greater sales of specific items and you benefit because the store will want to run more tournaments.

Dragons Keep
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

Looks like someone kept their supply of DCC 51.5 to themselves to sell on eBay.
This guy has 2 for sale, and already sold one last week:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcaptians1mateQQhtZ-1

I hope it isn't a store that decided to not give them away, but to try to make a profit on eBay. :evil:
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

I, for one, know that DM's can be bribed with hard to get T shirts. In XXL, of course. We DM's are built for comfort.
Rath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rath »

guslandt wrote:Looks like someone kept their supply of DCC 51.5 to themselves to sell on eBay.
This guy has 2 for sale, and already sold one last week:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcaptians1mateQQhtZ-1

I hope it isn't a store that decided to not give them away, but to try to make a profit on eBay. :evil:
Dude, Knoble Knight Games is selling them for 19.95 each...

It is an awesome module :)
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Rath wrote:Dude, Knoble Knight Games is selling them for 19.95 each...

It is an awesome module :)
I like Noble Knight Games... but I don't believe they should be doing that. With Free RPG day, they were initially giving the Free RPG day product with orders (up to a limit) which was great. To do this now doesn't seem right to me -- especially when it will be reprinted as a $2 module.

But I agree, it's an awesome module.

Moriarty the Red

Return to “Goodman Games General”