Intro and a thank you for Aereth

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Dire Tribble
Ill-Fated Peasant

Intro and a thank you for Aereth

Post by Dire Tribble »

Hi everyone! I wanted to just take a quick moment and introduce myself on the boards here. I've been gaming for many years now and lately been feeling a bit burned out. As a DM who has been running games in his homebrewed world for 10 years, I suddenly found myself over the last year or so with very little freetime with which to design D&D adventures for my group. We've been playing together since 2nd Edition and I've always loved the classic old school feel captured in the older adventures even into our 3.5 games. Over the last several months its just been harder and harder to design adventures in my world and I felt the well had run dry in my brain.

After taking a break I found myself the other day with a rekindled fire and wanting to get back into DMing. Since my schedule is still rather tight I thought I'd finally look around into a published setting for some help. I looked at Greyhawk but as much as I love it, I wanted something new and didn't really feel like scouring the RPGA websites. Eberron, while very interesting... just really is far from the old school feel that I love so much. Forgotten Realms is a fun one but I've just never really gotten into the setting. I've run adventures in the FR before and find I enjoy reading the novels set there rather than running games in it.

While looking up info on the dungeon crawl classics I found the page for DCC #35, the Gaszetteer of the Known Realms. I really liked what I saw in the PDFs and so I went down to my FLGS and picked up a copy an hour ago.

While I haven't had time to read the whole thing I've been skimming over GM's gudie and Gazetteer, drooling over the maps (not literally thankfully as I don't want to ruin the beautiful things!), and eager to read through the adventures next.

So after all that rambling I wanted to say thank you Goodman Games for putting out a world that captures that exact "classic adventure" tone I'm looking for (and comes in a nice nostalgia reminding big, red box to boot!). I'm off to go send out emails to my players about my new campaign to be set in Aereth!
Last edited by Dire Tribble on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Well said, DT, and welcome to the boards! :D
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

What Napftor said.

Welcome aboard!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Greetings! Always nice to have another DM to bounce ideas off of. You'll find that the players, DMs and even writers/developers of the DCCs will bend over backwards to help, if they can.

On topic: The great thing about the setting is that it's so flexible. The other [WotC] settings you brought up have a lot of player/metagame "history" (a/k/a infamy) that the Known World doesn't. There are no preconceived notions regarding the setting, which allows it to be used "as-is' or customized as you see fit.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Allow me to be the...erm...fourth!...to welcome you to the boards.
If you liked Gaz of the Known World, you'll find the rest of the line right up your alley.
Feel free to ask questions about the setting, the adventures, and anything else, and we'll try to help you out!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Welcome, Tribble!

I hope you continue to enjoy the box set, and get the chance to check out of some the other DCCs. I know you might not use minis at all in your games, but Ben Waxman (aka Superfan) and Company have produced a bunch of free battlemaps. If nothing else, they make great handouts.

You can find the battlemaps here:
http://www.goodman-games.com/presters.php

Another regular on the forums is None the Wiser. He makes insane 3-D renderings of the adventures, which can go a long way towards helping your players invision the environs. You can find some of his links here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1324
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1346
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1544

Enjoy!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Dire Tribble
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dire Tribble »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I finally made it back to the computer here after a day off. I'm really enjoying reading through the boxed set.

Ogrepuppy, you are right on the money! With the other settings there is such a history (or infamy) that automatically brings up certain responses from my players. Some love those settings, other don't care too much for them. Some are also just too detailed. With Aereth, I find a great balance of detail and freedom to expand on whats already there.

I love minis :D both just for painting and for gameplay so those battlemaps look great Harley! Thank you for the great links!

Might I ask your opinions for where a good starting point would be for 2nd level characters? Awhile back I had my players make new characters ran a few adventures for them set in Mystara. I'm going to let them keep their characters (retooled for Aereth) or let them make new ones and we'll restart the campaign in Aereth. They've been primarily been doing inner city (and under city) adventures so I'd like to head them out into the wilderness. Any good ideas where to start?
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I'd highly recommend "Into the Wilds", which is for character levels 1-3.

It's set in a frontier outpost, on the border between civilization and the wild lands of the unknown. (It's also a very good adventure!)

Sounds perfect for a party of low-level characters heading from the cities to the wilderness ...
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

In fact, this very site has, on the Dungeon Crawl Classics page, a list of the DCC modules organised by level - should help make things a little easier, especially given the relatively large amount of low-level adventures.

IIRC, there's one in DCC 29 The Adventure Begins that starts off with the characters in jail with no equipment, might be a good way to change things up dramatically......

Also, welcome to the boards :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

bobrunnicles wrote:In fact, this very site has, on the Dungeon Crawl Classics page, a list of the DCC modules organised by level - should help make things a little easier, especially given the relatively large amount of low-level adventures.
Ye Olde Adventure Finder. :)

http://www.goodman-games.com/adventurefinder.php

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Harley Stroh wrote:
bobrunnicles wrote:In fact, this very site has, on the Dungeon Crawl Classics page, a list of the DCC modules organised by level - should help make things a little easier, especially given the relatively large amount of low-level adventures.
Ye Olde Adventure Finder. :)

http://www.goodman-games.com/adventurefinder.php

//H
That'd be the one - thanks Harley :)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:I'd highly recommend "Into the Wilds", which is for character levels 1-3.

It's set in a frontier outpost, on the border between civilization and the wild lands of the unknown. (It's also a very good adventure!)

Sounds perfect for a party of low-level characters heading from the cities to the wilderness ...
Plus, as Harley mentioned and linked, None the Wiser has posted an extensive series of great SketchUp diagrams, maps and more for the module, making it even easier to picture in your mind (and show to players).

And "very good adventure" is an understatement.... :wink:
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Harley Stroh wrote:Another regular on the forums is None the Wiser. He makes insane 3-D renderings of the adventures, which can go a long way towards helping your players invision the environs. You can find some of his links here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1324
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1346
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1544

Enjoy!

//H
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hadn't seen these before.....consider my mind well and truly boggled!!
Dire Tribble
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dire Tribble »

I think I'll start off with your idea Bob and check out The Adventure Begins one where they are in jail (will fit in perfect with the change over as they try to recall what exactly happened, was their first adventure just a dream? Did it happen? Some of their previous companions are with them now and others are not! Who was that strange robed man they saw before they passed out and awoke in jail?).

I'll also pick up Into The Wild so thanks Mike!

And one very last question that might have been covered before but do you pronounced Aereth as "Ay-Reth" or as "Eh-Reth" ? :)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

DireTribble and bobrunnicles, if you're referring to "The Black Larder" from The Adventure Begins, that one was mine.
Either of you have any questions about it, feel free to post or PM me.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”