Heroes TV Show: "Bomb" Poll

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Who, if anyone, will be the bomb?

Nobody...they stop the destruction of NYC.
22%
Ted Sprague...nuke-man himself goes, well, nuclear
11%
Peter Petrelli...wow, never saw that coming
33%
Sylar...top of the world, ma!
33%

Total votes: 9

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Heroes TV Show: "Bomb" Poll

Post by Jengenritz »

So my buddies and I have got a little pool amongst ourselves about the resolution of this "bomb" issue in the Heroes TV show.

How do you think it will end? Cast your votes now!

Me, I say it's Ted. Least air time + dead wife + death wish = our bomb!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Yep...I voted the obvious - Peter Petrelli.

In the future, he admitted to being the one who went nuclear.

Hiro will kill Sylar after the election day, as predicted.

They won't save New York City...the first time. I think they'll have a series of "back and forth" in an attempt to stop the big bomb, only to eventually uncover what we already know - Peter Petrelli caused the explosion.

Although...I admit...I'm a little confused as to why future Peter would help Hiro kill Sylar (under the pretense of trying to reverse what has happened), when he knows that HE is the one who goes nuclear...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Yeah, I thought there were a few plot holes in the Future episode...I was initially really confused about the role of Future Bennet, too...Bennet states at one point that he hid Mikah and DL, but later on President Sylar uses DL's powers...I guess, since he's President, he knew where Bennet hid DL through his association with Parkman, so he tracked him down and killed him?

My only guess to your question, fathead, is that maybe, somehow, by killing Sylar, Peter was hoping to prevent the event that caused him to go nuclear...like it happened in their rematch or something.
That's almost an apologist answer, though. I consider it a plot hole.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

This brings up another odd question - why doesn't guilt-ridden Peter Petrelli go back in time and stop the events that led to his nuclear event?

Hiro must be only one with a good work ethic... ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: That's almost an apologist answer, though. I consider it a plot hole.
Yeah...I think there may be a few plot holes (I have a list of them)...but let's face it - if I were looking for realism, I wouldn't be watching a show about superheroes. Plot holes or not, my wife and I sit down diligently every week and watch the episodes online. It's a good show.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

They've obviously made efforts to make Sylar sympathetic, successful or not...

I'm thinking he could be the one that goes boom in Peter's place - thus thte future we saw is not the 'real' future.

But then again, shows like this I try not too think to hard about -- I just try to enjoy each episode as it comes. That leaves time for thinking through films like The Presitge....

G.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Heroes TV Show: "Bomb" Poll

Post by mythfish »

Jengenritz wrote: Me, I say it's Ted. Least air time + dead wife + death wish = our bomb!
Sylar going nuclear would result in a dead Ted too, since Sylar would have to kill him to get his power. My wacky theory is that Peter goes nuclear, but Candace's powers (whether used by her or Sylar) make the world see Peter as Sylar (including Hiro, who tries to kill him but he regenerates). Thus the future where the whole world knows Sylar blew up, except for Peter who says he blew up.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Well, my pet theory just got its brain (what? eaten? dissected?) by Sylar, so that leaves us with three possibilities.

NEXT WEEK!

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I have an additional prediction.

Sylar won't be killed. He'll steal the powers of the girl who can manipulate what a person sees, and Hiro will mistakenly kill someone else.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

I was left with more questions than answers

Is Sylar still alive?

Did Peter survive, he can regenerate?

Where is Hiro and why is he there?
- Joseph Frenia
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

jfrenia wrote:I was left with more questions than answers

Is Sylar still alive?

Did Peter survive, he can regenerate?

Where is Hiro and why is he there?
Why didn't Peter fly his damn self away to explode?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Wow, good point, LOL.
- Joseph Frenia
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

mythfish wrote:
Why didn't Peter fly his damn self away to explode?
Right.

And when they were wondering where Peter was, why didn't they just ask Molly? Since HRG 'randomly' found him on the street they may be what they did, but earlier he had said "where's Peter?" as if he didn't have the ultimate tracking system right next to hiim....

Enjoyed the ep overall, but it left me curious about next year (which ain't a bad thing), as did the teaser for Volume Two...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

And the winner is: kinda both the people who said "save NYC" and those who said "Peter Petrelli."

Huzzah for them, their No-Prize is in the mail.

So I originally didn't see the episode 'cause I had a get-together Monday night, and I had to catch it on nbc.com. I asked my wife how it ended, and she said, "This giant dragon showed up and threw fireballs on everyone. A whole lot of people died."
I said, "Funny. No really, how did it end?"
BUT THEN I saw the ep today online, and what do you know, but there's Hiro in ancient Japan, Takeda Shingen (red armor, crazy white beard? that's gotta be Takeda Shingen, the Tiger of Kai and Shinano) on one side and his hero Kensai on the other. And then the sky goes black and everyone looks up.

And you know what? I thought a great big dragon was going to show up and throw fireballs around and kill lots of people. "sh*t, she wasn't kidding! Will it be CGI? How lame will it look? Will it be a snake-y Oriental dragon or a muscular Western dragon? Are they sure they want to do this with the Hero-verse? It must be a meta that turned into a dragon or something..."

Nope, just an eclipse. My wife is a liar.

I have one really glaring complaint, and I think we all know what it is: Peter = flying.
It would have been nice if Sylar would have been well and truly defeated, but the Rule of Comic Book Death prepared me for his escape.
Parkman was every bit as useless as he always is. God bless him, but I love that character.

I'm dubious about a volume 2 teaser that has Hiro in feudal Japan. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I still haven't seen the final episode yet, but it's good to know that I was partially correct.

I'll post back after I see the episode.

In the meantime, I'll be bragging and showing off my no-prize to my friends and family.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Alright...finally saw the final episode.

Am I alone in thinking that the dialogue has gotten worse?

The plot holes are becoming more glaring as well. It has already been mentioned, so I won't harp on Peter and his inability to fly.

I'm hoping that the writers get together and rally for the next season.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

fathead wrote:I'm hoping that the writers get together and rally for the next season.
I think mid-season was a high for the show so far - the characters deepened and the plot got more complex but was still understandable. Toward the end it felt rushed, like a first draft that made it to screen. I get the feeling that they had certain set pieces in mind for the end, but things through the season made those set pieces work poorly. For instance, it may have been there was a reason for Peter to not be able to fly at that point, but it wasn't made clear. (Could he only do one power at a time? Did the writers and producers forget to make that clear?)

Hopefully, next season will be better since they have the experience of season one under their belts. Or maybe it'll be a sophemore slump....

G.

vagen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vagen »

Peter panicked, thats why he couldn't fly. Or at least thats how I saw it.
For the Glory!
For the Money!
For theFun!!!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

vagen wrote:Peter panicked, thats why he couldn't fly. Or at least thats how I saw it.
But he'd had a confidence streak earlier in the season. That's why I think maybe they let the season go where it wanted, letting it flow naturaly (which was good), but then had to shoehorn things at the end to fit the set piece ending (meh).

I never looked at the online comic or anything, so maybe there are clarifications there. But that's not a great way to run a TV show, if you have to read another medium to understand the primary medium....

Return to “Everything Else”