Funnel For One

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Funnel For One

Post by Stretch »

So I have a friend who is interested in trying a DCC funnel but due to time constraints and availability I would be would be running him though it solo. Has anyone had experience running a funnel for one person. I found a post over at Kickassistan that details half levels for solo funnels rather than just a crap ton of characters for one player to keep track of. Has anyone ran it this way? Basically looking for some suggestions. Would probably be running Sailors, though I have option to run several others including Portal and Reanimator. Sailors just fits more with where I am going to place the campaign.

-Stretch
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Funnel For One

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you want the player to run only 4 0-level PCs, you might find any of the published funnels to be a bit on the deadly side. It might be well worth your time to whip up something special.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Or even extract a couple key rooms from an adventure and wrap a little story around it. (Perhaps rooms 1-4 of Portal Under the Stars, with the threats chopped down a bit to suit the smaller party, and the object of their mini-quest in the grasp of fell Ssissuraaaggg.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You know what I just realized last night? Purple Duck Games' newest funnel, Playing the Game, by Perry Fehr, would probably work as well for one player as for a group.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

Thanks for the replies. I thought I might need to create something on my own, which I am fine doing, but I was curious if anyone had experiences converting over/running for solo that might be helpful. I will check out the purple duck mentioned as well. Again thanks for the replies.

-Stretch
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

With the understanding you are trying to have your friend game with just one PC, might I suggest a different strategy? (Let the wookie win.)

Since you are wanting to do a solo, I say let the single player bring twelve or so 0-lvl characters. Use Purple Sorcerer's character generator which eliminates the time consuming part of creating 0-lvl PCs. That's what I've done when it was just two of us.

It was great. With one player, he (or in my case, she) knew which ones were cannon fodder and which ones she had hopes of surviving. We started with twelve at the beginning of Portal Under the Stars. She had one PC live, along with the cow that was the meat shield, by the end of the module. She had her first 1st level character, a beadle that became a cleric.

I say try the large group with one player. The PCs die quite fast which reduces the complexity yet leaves the survivors very near the ten experience points needed to get them to first level. Those that survive will be ready to game again when it is just the two of you.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Considering time constraints , which we all have. And how using something prewritten is a great shortcut:

I agree with JediOre… you can do Sailors and it can be fun. I've done it with Portal under the stars a few times. In Sailors, there are several places where you can restock the party so even if you have a total turn over from the initial villagers it can still work as a cohesive adventure.

It will also give you some practice for when your one player goes out and preaches the word to others and you get to run Sailors again for a larger group.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/

Return to “Judges' Forum”