A couple GenCon tournament questions

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

A couple GenCon tournament questions

Post by fathead »

A scheduling question: Advancement Rounds - There are several advancements rounds. Is there a way that you determine which team advances to which time slot?

Substitution question: What are the substitution policies? I'm only asking because I might try XCrawl without my group, and I don't want to leave a team with one less player (if my team advances in the DCC, I'll be playing that instead).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I'll answer your questions in reverse order.

Re. Substitutions -

No substitutions are allowed. We revisited this policy after last year's tournament and decided not to change it.

If a player is more than 10 minutes late arriving after the start of his or her round, that character is considered to have gone home and is henceforth out of the tournament (even in subsequent rounds).

Re. Advancement Round Time Slots -

Teams are almost always assigned to specific time slots randomly.
Since the substitution policy is so inflexible, however, we have in the past allowed teams to request a time slot.

In general, we try to accomodate reasonable requests made BEFORE advancement is posted.
If you want to change time slots AFTER advancement is posted, you are effectively swapping slots with another team, and you'd need their consent (which they are under no obligation to provide).
Finally, the tournament organizer has final say over any requests or changes, even if all teams agree.

Moral of the story is: if you think you'll advance and you foresee a conflict, let me know ASAP, ideally before the next round's advancement is posted.

This should be made clear for anyone who hasn't participated in the tournament before:
Requesting a time slot is not the same thing as requesting a specific Judge. There are multiple Judges for each slot and their schedule is not posted anywhere (except on my clipboard).

The tournament Player's Pack will contain the relevant information discussed above.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Thanks for the quick reply Adrian! I'm making my schedule right now, so it's nice to have the info.

I'll probably skip out on the XCrawl tournament, because I don't want to leave a group without a player. Any XCrawl judges willing to run a game (outside of the tournament) in exchange for free beer? :)

Man...am I the only one all geeked out about the DCC tournament? I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store for us this year!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
eleran
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by eleran »

where do you see any DCC Open rds other than noon-4 and 4-8 on thursday? Thats all that show up on the GC event catalog I am looking at.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

eleran wrote:where do you see any DCC Open rds other than noon-4 and 4-8 on thursday? Thats all that show up on the GC event catalog I am looking at.
Actually, go back to the GenCon website and download the latest catalog. It's all in there now.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
SirFozzie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SirFozzie »

I didn't see the XCrawl Tournament, and I wanted in this year (Since I waited too long to get an event in to run myself)
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

SirFozzie wrote:I didn't see the XCrawl Tournament, and I wanted in this year (Since I waited too long to get an event in to run myself)
Ummm...yeah, you're right. I still don't see the XCrawl Tournament in there...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
eleran
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by eleran »

I realize I am kinda dense, but below is all I find even in the latest file

Goodman Games Game Master Not Specified RPG00188 DCC Open Tournament Round 1-1 12:00 N/A

Goodman Games Game Master Not Specified RPG00197 DCC Open Tournament Round 1-10

these are both on thursday. Please show me what I am missing.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

eleran wrote:I realize I am kinda dense, but below is all I find even in the latest file

Goodman Games Game Master Not Specified RPG00188 DCC Open Tournament Round 1-1 12:00 N/A

Sorry about that. The excel file that I downloaded had the events in them (but the event numbers were all whacky). Now, I downloaded the latest one, and they are not in the excel file again.

I started a thread about it on the gencon forums:

http://community.gencon.com/forums/1073 ... spx#107344

If I hear anything, I'll post it here. Hopefully, they fix it before event reg starts...my whole schedule revolves around whatever time I can get a DCC ticket for...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

New and improved excel file!

Post by fathead »

Alright...the new one is posted, and it looks good (has both the DCC tournament and the XCrawl tournament).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Yes, after many back-room dealings involving an un-marked crate, some dental record identification, and the gross national product of a small European state, BOTH tournaments are finally in the event catalog.

Thanks to Joseph and Derek for the assist, and good luck to everyone pre-registering...hope you get the events you want!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

Question:

Michael Ferguson
RPG00308 Dungeon Crawl Classics: Devil in the Mists
2007-08-18 14:00:00

Will characters be provided for this game?

Thanks!
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Question, I see there are 6 slots at noon on Thursday, does all your group have to get in the same one or if all of your members get in a noon spot, you can make your team from there?

Thanks!
Joe
- Joseph Frenia
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

AstroCat wrote:Question:

Michael Ferguson
RPG00308 Dungeon Crawl Classics: Devil in the Mists
2007-08-18 14:00:00

Will characters be provided for this game?

Thanks!
Yep - pre-generated characters will be provided for all players.
eleran
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by eleran »

fathead wrote:
eleran wrote:I realize I am kinda dense, but below is all I find even in the latest file

Sorry about that. The excel file that I downloaded had the events in them (but the event numbers were all whacky). Now, I downloaded the latest one, and they are not in the excel file again.

I started a thread about it on the gencon forums:

http://community.gencon.com/forums/1073 ... spx#107344

If I hear anything, I'll post it here. Hopefully, they fix it before event reg starts...my whole schedule revolves around whatever time I can get a DCC ticket for...
Thanx fathead. Actually it showed up fine in the GC online registration area, so I got all the info I needed from there. Good luck with registration today everyone.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Question, I see there are 6 slots at noon on Thursday, does all your group have to get in the same one or if all of your members get in a noon spot, you can make your team from there?
You should try to all get in the same slot.
Having people jump from one group to another will only delay the start of the tournament rounds.

That being said, I know that the pre-registration process can at times be frustrating because you buy one ticket and then have to go back and buy another, only to find that your slot is sold out.
In the past we've had to cobble groups together on the spot (and some of them have done VERY WELL, by the way).

What I recommend is that IF your group gets separated by the slings and arrows of registration, you start off by posting swaps here on the Goodman Games board. Odds are, if you got separated, some other team did as well, and maybe you guys can coordinate a ticket exchange amongst yourselves.

Failing that, look for me (Adrian) in the RPG Hall and tell me about it ASAP. I'll be carrying a clipboard and probably have a little DCC Tournament sign, probably wear a Devil-Lich shirt on Thursday.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Here is another suggestion -

Get two attendees under 1 account. Not everyone may want to do this, but it really helps when registering for events. My wife and I are on one account (surprise surprise). Since both of us can register for 2 tickets each, I just purchase the team slot for all 4 members, and they reimburse me later.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
SirFozzie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SirFozzie »

Got my XCrawl event *does the happy Snoopy dance*

Return to “Goodman Games General”