77.5 Tower Out of Time

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thorynn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

77.5 Tower Out of Time

Post by Thorynn »

Michael Curtis has done it again! I can't wait to run Tower Out of Time! Not sure if this should be in this discussion or a different one, but I was VERY impressed by the character sheets for the pregens included. Are blanks of those sheets available anywhere? Also, is there one for an elf?

Thanks!
Thorynn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: 77.5 Tower Out of Time

Post by Thorynn »

Also, I made a quick and dirty PDF of the snake tiles for the puzzle. If someone can do better, please do. I make no claims of desktop publishing wizardry:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2gShx ... sp=sharing
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Glad you like the module and the character sheets. Blank versions of the character sheets will be available on our web site in a couple weeks. They were created by Jason Edwards, who many of you may remember from his great art in the 3.5 DCC modules.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

This mod definitely looks like a good one based on a very quick skim. I need to sit down and read it more closely. Origins next week and I am running it there! I also agree the character sheets looks great as well.

I also appreciate that this is a limited initial release. It is great knowing I can take this one to Origins and it will be something people haven't played yet. That makes geting prepped for a con so much easier if you don't have to prep a multitude of mods to find one that not everyone has played.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Those character sheets are must haves. Looking forward to the blank ones being posted!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I'll be running this for Free RPG day. It's a fun module and I do like the puzzle aspect of it.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Finished reading and prepping the module for FRPG day last night. That's fantastic! Lots of interesting possibilities for future games and I'm really looking forward to running it. I like the character sheets, but I find the handwriting a little tough to read on the screen. Printing it out helped a bit, but I'm curious as to why no elf pre-gen character?
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

Thorynn wrote:Also, I made a quick and dirty PDF of the snake tiles for the puzzle. If someone can do better, please do. I make no claims of desktop publishing wizardry:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2gShx ... sp=sharing
Love these. I'll print them on card stock, and I have a feeling it'll make the puzzle much clearer at the table ... if they get that far. I'll be running this one at least once on Free RPG Day!
~Judge Jen
Spellburner, Keeper of Mysteries, and Chief Acolyte* for DCC RPG

*the Dark Master said so!
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

goodmangames wrote:Glad you like the module and the character sheets. Blank versions of the character sheets will be available on our web site in a couple weeks.
Any chance of there being a fillable .pdf version of them, or of the original character sheets? Being able to type in all the notes = players generally being able to read them. :oops:
~Judge Jen

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Caffiend wrote:
Thorynn wrote:Also, I made a quick and dirty PDF of the snake tiles for the puzzle.
I'll print them on card stock, and I have a feeling it'll make the puzzle much clearer at the table ... if they get that far. I'll be running this one at least once on Free RPG Day!
Great idea! I'll be running it as well on FRD and I like the idea of the cardstock. Makes it more hands-on.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:Those character sheets are must haves. Looking forward to the blank ones being posted!
I am wondering, however, why there are isn't an elf pregen. Maybe I missed something in the module, but it seems a little odd to have six of the seven classes represented. :?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

finarvyn wrote:
Rick wrote:Those character sheets are must haves. Looking forward to the blank ones being posted!
I am wondering, however, why there are isn't an elf pregen. Maybe I missed something in the module, but it seems a little odd to have six of the seven classes represented. :?
There's an elf included w/ the 8 Free RPG Day 2013 1st level pregens. It'd be pretty easy to level him/her up.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
There's an elf included w/ the 8 Free RPG Day 2013 1st level pregens. It'd be pretty easy to level him/her up.
True, but I was just surprised to note that the pregen file only had 6 characters when there are 7 core classes. Just seemed a little odd, that's all.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Has anyone else run or read Tower of the Stargazer by James Raggi? Am I the only one finding similarities? Don't get me wrong, I only mention it in context of how other Appendix N works carry similar themes to each other while varying in presentation but this module definitely fits into my campaign having used the aforementioned! :D
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

There's no Elf amongst the pregens because the adventure is written for six PCs and somebody had to be left out. Also, while the Elf is cool and all, I thought people might get a better idea of how DCC RPG isn't D&D by "forcing" them to experience the Dwarf and Halfling classes if they want to go demi-human. I've found that people love the dwarf's ability to smell gold and that folks who usually won't play a halfling take another look at the race when they discover the lucky charm power and the fact they're dual-wielding psychos! Free RPG Day is the perfect opportunity to emphasize the things that make DCC unique amongst the RPGs that owe a debt to old school games.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Skars wrote:Has anyone else run or read Tower of the Stargazer by James Raggi? Am I the only one finding similarities? Don't get me wrong, I only mention it in context of how other Appendix N works carry similar themes to each other while varying in presentation but this module definitely fits into my campaign having used the aforementioned! :D
While I'm aware the Raggi wrote an adventure called Tower of the Stargazer, I'm woefully unaware of what that adventure entails. If there's any similarities, all I can say is that five people were working on the steam engine at one point, completely unaware of each other. The same goes for RPGs, I guess. :D
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

michaelcurtis wrote:There's no Elf amongst the pregens because the adventure is written for six PCs and somebody had to be left out. Also, while the Elf is cool and all, I thought people might get a better idea of how DCC RPG isn't D&D by "forcing" them to experience the Dwarf and Halfling classes if they want to go demi-human. I've found that people love the dwarf's ability to smell gold and that folks who usually won't play a halfling take another look at the race when they discover the lucky charm power and the fact they're dual-wielding psychos! Free RPG Day is the perfect opportunity to emphasize the things that make DCC unique amongst the RPGs that owe a debt to old school games.
As always, Michael, your posts show great insight. My thinking was that if there are seven classes there ought to be seven pregens, and then players could select which six would be a part of the adventure.

Nice to see that you had a "master plan" and that the elf was not simply an omission. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

michaelcurtis wrote:
Skars wrote:Has anyone else run or read Tower of the Stargazer by James Raggi? Am I the only one finding similarities? Don't get me wrong, I only mention it in context of how other Appendix N works carry similar themes to each other while varying in presentation but this module definitely fits into my campaign having used the aforementioned! :D
While I'm aware the Raggi wrote an adventure called Tower of the Stargazer, I'm woefully unaware of what that adventure entails. If there's any similarities, all I can say is that five people were working on the steam engine at one point, completely unaware of each other. The same goes for RPGs, I guess. :D
Thanks Michael, I figured that was the case. Well done, I enjoyed reading the adventure and I look forward to running it!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I honestly do not see any close similarity between the two, although it has been a while since I read Stargazer.

I mean, they both have a tower, and they both make use of astrolonomy (the fantastical science of astrological astronomy), but otherwise, I would say that they are very, very different adventures.

I am curious to know what I am missing, though....? Maybe send me an email?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

finarvyn wrote:I am wondering, however, why there are isn't an elf pregen. Maybe I missed something in the module, but it seems a little odd to have six of the seven classes represented. :?
I had a 7th player for the first hour or so of the game. I gave him another 2nd level dwarf. The module's pretty straight-forward and didn't really need a lot of spellcasting (although an extra cleric may have come in handy).
~Judge Jen

ead101
Gongfarmer

Post by ead101 »

I'd like to run this at indiecon in the UK in November. How do I go about getting hold of it and the con kit or am I too late?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

ead101 wrote:I'd like to run this at indiecon in the UK in November. How do I go about getting hold of it and the con kit or am I too late?
Start off here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/worldtour.html
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I honestly do not see any close similarity between the two, although it has been a while since I read Stargazer.

I mean, they both have a tower, and they both make use of astrolonomy (the fantastical science of astrological astronomy), but otherwise, I would say that they are very, very different adventures.

The only similarities I can think of (having run both adventures more than once) are the adventure takes place in a tower and both feature a "brain leech". Although Michael's brain leeches are on simian adversaries, whereas Raggi's are in a jar and attack the characters if the jar is opened.

Beyond that, the map, premise and objective are all wildly divergent. I'm happy to have both in my collection and could run them back-to-back for the same group with no fear of repeating myself.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

smathis wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:I honestly do not see any close similarity between the two, although it has been a while since I read Stargazer.

The only similarities I can think of (having run both adventures more than once) are the adventure takes place in a tower and both feature a "brain leech". Although Michael's brain leeches are on simian adversaries, whereas Raggi's are in a jar and attack the characters if the jar is opened.

Beyond that, the map, premise and objective are all wildly divergent. I'm happy to have both in my collection and could run them back-to-back for the same group with no fear of repeating myself.

Fair enough. I immediately thought of Tower of the Stargazer after reading this module but many of the similarities are as you and Daniel noted, subtle. The one major theme from which the two really diverge is that the apprentice in Stargazer betrays his master while in Tower out of Time, H'lisk is loyal. Otherwise exploring an Appendix N "Astolomonical" tower is a theme they share.

I do think they are similar enough that I don't think running them back-to-back would be as enjoyable as say running Tower of the Stargazer as a funnel and dropping some hooks or clues to the arrival of the Tower out of Time; which hits once the party reaches level 2.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

Maybe I missed this, since I didn't read this whole thread.

Is this module ever going to be available for purchase?!?
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”