Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Obviously, this post is full of spoilers for the adventure.

Me and my group played the first half of Assault on the Sky-High Tower last evening.

I used the Purple Sorcerer thingie to make up the PCs and dealt 5 to each player (there were four of us at the table), I made them name all the characters.

They made it through the Tube Thing without too much issue, although one character found the dazer pistol and it blew up in his face, killing him instantly and another died because they didn't sit down. Unfortunately, it was the players "favorite" at the time.

The first PSH to try a recognition roll on Wee-DN made it, and so had had it as an ally. I used a Dalek voice for the robot, so that was fun. They asked if it had any tools that could help them, and so it gave them the torch, grav clamps, and rope. I was nice and had the robot explain how they work. I also had the robot use defoliant in the gutter that the PCs use to access the tower...and ad-libbed a 10% chance of a mutation (which 2 got).

Later, one PC had a catastrophic artifact roll on the moving platform causing the whole thing to explode and fall on the PCs below it. I gave them a DC 15 reflex save to avoid 1d6 of damage. That wiped out half of them, including one player's entire party. He rolled up three more for next week, and I will have them appear from the tube in C-4 having survived thus far on their own tribe's Rite of Passage in the radioactive ruins).

The Roach-people attack went...as you'd expect. The PCs had a fusion torch and I allowed it as a weapon using just a natural roll. I don't own DCC and don't know how a touch attack would work. (As an aside, I have played DCC once about 5-ish years ago and so just made stuff up if I didn't know how it would work. I also have decades of D&D experience, so I can fake it til I make it) Anyhoo, the PCs defeated the roaches, having lost a few more PCs in the process.

Before using one of their two fusion torches on the doors, they decided to rest and heal and eat the food amongst the filth. The stunning conclusion shall be next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:25 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

FLGS: Game Knight
Sounds great! Looking forward to the conclusion.

Using another tribe for the refills is a great idea and gives you the option to build out from the starting village to a wider (weirder) world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:48 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

soulcatcher78 wrote:
Sounds great! Looking forward to the conclusion.

Using another tribe for the refills is a great idea and gives you the option to build out from the starting village to a wider (weirder) world.

We are probably gonna play a campaign of MCC after this adventure. I had the subway car conk out and lose power in the station, so I am thinking the campaign will be a far ranging journey home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:43 am 
Gongfarmer

FLGS: Outland
I've also run the first part of Assault, stopping just before the croachlings. We mostly had a lot of fun so far, first time with either MCC or DCC. :)

I was a bit unprepared how difficult and punishing artifact checks would be for 0-level characters though. My players ended up ruining two government badges...

Which leads me to the biggest frustration with the adventure, the "blockers". I.e. skill-checks or similar you have to pass to progress the adventure. Without the government badges, my players really struggled with the grates that required DC 30(!) checks to open. We managed to have some fun with the first one, with the players having to improvise various ways of improving their odds, but the second grate was just annoying. When the players also managed to blow up the control-console for the treadmill, it felt about time to call it a night...

We might have gotten something wrong, but it seems optimistic for the adventure to presume 0-level characters will be able to succeed any artifact check, especially a combat check. Even with a group of above intelligent characters cooperate, the odds at 0-level won't be that great. This is even more frustrating when failing will likely ruin the artifact as well... One of my first house-rules will probably be that only a result of 1 will ruin an artifact.