Mutant Crawl Classics pre-order?

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Mutant Crawl Classics pre-order?

Post by Kruvil »

I know kickstarter is all the rage now, but I wonder if Mutant Crawl Classics could be offered as a simple pre-order with a pdf available now and the book to follow in 2016? I pre-ordered DCC RPG before kickstarter (and DCC RPG!) existed and that worked out well. I'd sell my best podog for a pdf of Mutant Crawl Classics. I've been interested since the preview at Gen Con.

Looks like DCC RPG 4th printing is kickstarting next, so I'm hoping MCC becomes available sooner than next year. I like DCC but I am really burned out on fantasy. Plus, Gamma World 1E was the first RPG I ever GMed so I'd really like to get mutated again.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Mutant Crawl Classics pre-order?

Post by Weisenwolf »

Nice idea
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Why does the dcc rpg 4th need a kickstarter?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Blood Axe wrote:Why does the dcc rpg 4th need a kickstarter?
Probably doesn't but it's nice for any company to know in a advance a minimum number of customers for the product and sell lots and lots of them the momment they come off the press. And the more profitable it is for them the better price for us - everyone is a winner :wink:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Weisenwolf wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:Why does the dcc rpg 4th need a kickstarter?
Probably doesn't but it's nice for any company to know in a advance a minimum number of customers for the product and sell lots and lots of them the momment they come off the press. And the more profitable it is for them the better price for us - everyone is a winner :wink:
It gives them a handle on "is interest peaking? is it growing? is is shrinking?" before they actually print it. And potentially they move a bunch of them quickly, rather than have to warehouse 10k copies as they trickle out...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

This has been done in the wargaming world for decades and it was called P500, essentially meaning once they got 500 pre-orders it was set into motion. The reason I think folks use kickstarter these days is for the hype and marketing that comes with the percentage fee you pay on every successful pledge.

Personally, I vastly prefer p500 as all the proceeds go to the artist/author/company pushing the project, not some third party (amazon)
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Skars wrote:This has been done in the wargaming world for decades and it was called P500, essentially meaning once they got 500 pre-orders it was set into motion. The reason I think folks use kickstarter these days is for the hype and marketing that comes with the percentage fee you pay on every successful pledge.

Personally, I vastly prefer p500 as all the proceeds go to the artist/author/company pushing the project, not some third party (amazon)
I agree. I bet they could 500 preorder easy. Especially if they include a free special adventure like they did with first edition. No kickstarter fees or stretch goals needed. But I guess they have their reasons.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Blood Axe wrote:
Skars wrote:This has been done in the wargaming world for decades and it was called P500, essentially meaning once they got 500 pre-orders it was set into motion. The reason I think folks use kickstarter these days is for the hype and marketing that comes with the percentage fee you pay on every successful pledge.

I agree. I bet they could 500 preorder easy. Especially if they include a free special adventure like they did with first edition. No kickstarter fees or stretch goals needed. But I guess they have their reasons.
If the demand — and hence the size of the print run — gets high enough, the savings (per unit) on a larger print run could potentially completely offset the fees to KS.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

With a preorder and a limited edition adventure ( like Doom of Savage Kings) I'd think they'd get plenty of buyers. But if the KS is good, I'll be in.
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

I think the other reason that kickstarters have become is it allows them to put out a lot of extra content that they would not be producing if it wasn't for the ks campaign.

For example, let's look at just the chained coffin kickstarter:

Original concept was the module itself. With the kickstarter stretch goals the following was added:

1) Extra sourcebook of the Shudder Mts with Patron write up.

2) Random Encounter Pages

3) Player Handouts

4) Alt versions of the Bad Lick Beast.

5) 2 more pages added to Player Handouts

6) Bonus Funnel Adventure

7) Extra content bundled into an Almanac with a Beastiary of the Shudder Mts

8) Magic of the Shudder Mts content added

9) Upgrade Almanac to more material as well as printed at normal size rather than digest

10) Mini Adventure covering the gap from funnel to lvl 5.

11) Almanac has 9 more pages added to it.

12) Poster Map

That is a lot of content that would not have been added were it not for the kickstarter. And this doesn't include the swag that was added to help push the funding as well as a voice in not only what kind of swag the community would like but also on the content that was most desired. Stretch goals were moved in some cases to accommodate the communities wishes.

And if you don't want to get in on the ks you can always wait and buy it when it is released.

Another bonus was being able to buy the modules you don't have through the kickstarter and get them in both pdf and physical copies. Most of my purchases came from the kick starters. I am actually holding off on some of the new purchases because I know I can pick them up in a kickstarter.

For all those reasons above plus the ones listed in the previous posts is why you will find most of the higher interest items going to kickstarter. It unfortunately does add more wait time. I like the OP am really excited for MCC and would love to have it sooner than later. But the chance for some nice goodies as well as the possibility for additional content that wouldn't get printed, or might be years in getting published, in my opinion is worth the wait.
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
Aethelwulf22
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Aethelwulf22 »

The trouble with Kickstarters is it pretty much excludes international orders as the shipping is around $30. I'm a bit disappointed to be missing the 4th printing but I just can't justify the cost...especially considering I already have all the other printings and editions. So I personally really hope that MCC will not be done via Kickstarter.
Wulfgar22 on most other forums
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Aethelwulf22 wrote:The trouble with Kickstarters is it pretty much excludes international orders as the shipping is around $30. I'm a bit disappointed to be missing the 4th printing but I just can't justify the cost...especially considering I already have all the other printings and editions. So I personally really hope that MCC will not be done via Kickstarter.
I have this problem with modules because a $10 module costs me $10 P&P but as I've gone for the £120 leather bound book the $30 postage is, in relative terms, more reasonable and as the stratech goals have been hit the postage is getting better 'value' all the time.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Getting back to this thread what IS Mutant Crawl?

What;s the concept? Sci-Fi?
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

I think that's my cue.

Mutant Crawl Classics RPG is both a sequel to and a setting for DCC RPG. It takes place in some unspecified time period (30th century? Lost Lemuria?) millennia after the fall of a Vancian super-science society. Rooted in Appendix N literature, it's a post-apocalyptic setting that's based in the hot house jungles, radioactive deserts, and underground ruins of Brain Aldiss, Harlan Ellison, and Sterling Lanier.

From the cover blurb:

"You’re no zero.

You’re a wasteland wanderer: a mutant, a seeker, a robot-killer, a stoic shaman guarding forgotten ancient sciences. You seek triumph and technology, winning it with mutations and magic, soaked in the radiation and quantum fields of the mutated, the savage, the semi-sentient, and the artificially intelligent. There are treasures to be won in the taboo lands and ruins, and you shall have them.

Return to the glory days of science fiction gaming with the Mutant Crawl Classics Role Playing Game. Adventure like it’s 1978 again, with modern rules grounded in the origins of post-apocalyptic role playing. Fast play, a mysterious future, and 100% compatibility with the DCC RPG system await you — just activate your artifact..."
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

Weisenwolf wrote:Getting back to this thread what IS Mutant Crawl?

Imagine DCC RPG and Gamma World had a baby.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Mad Mage wrote:I think that's my cue.

Mutant Crawl Classics RPG is both a sequel to and a setting for DCC RPG. It takes place in some unspecified time period (30th century? Lost Lemuria?) millennia after the fall of a Vancian super-science society. Rooted in Appendix N literature, it's a post-apocalyptic setting that's based in the hot house jungles, radioactive deserts, and underground ruins of Brain Aldiss, Harlan Ellison, and Sterling Lanier.

From the cover blurb:

"You’re no zero.

You’re a wasteland wanderer: a mutant, a seeker, a robot-killer, a stoic shaman guarding forgotten ancient sciences. You seek triumph and technology, winning it with mutations and magic, soaked in the radiation and quantum fields of the mutated, the savage, the semi-sentient, and the artificially intelligent. There are treasures to be won in the taboo lands and ruins, and you shall have them.

Return to the glory days of science fiction gaming with the Mutant Crawl Classics Role Playing Game. Adventure like it’s 1978 again, with modern rules grounded in the origins of post-apocalyptic role playing. Fast play, a mysterious future, and 100% compatibility with the DCC RPG system await you — just activate your artifact..."
OK I think I get that........ :shock:
Last edited by Weisenwolf on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:Getting back to this thread what IS Mutant Crawl?

Imagine DCC RPG and Gamma World had a baby.
Ah now I definately get it :D

Sounds like a lot of fun; looking forward to it :lol:
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

DCC SATs:

D&D is to Gamma World as DCC is to ________. *

* Hint: The answer is MCC.

Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

Hm. As much as I like the concept, I just don't see myself buying a whole new sourcebook. I believe the rules in DCC are strong enough to translate over if this was written into a smaller (page count, don't lower the page size) volume as a rules supplement or partial conversion. Since DCC and I'm assuming MCC are not designed to be played as hex/square games, some of the crunchier bits of long-range energy/ballistics combat could simply be translated into the existing range combats. Of course, magic and deities would likely be treated differently, but this could be handled in new class chapters.

I would not shell out $90 for a new sourcebook like I would for DCC, but I would most certainly buy a smaller companion for the post apocalypse for $35.

David Rose
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

GnomeBoy wrote:DCC SATs:

D&D is to Gamma World as DCC is to ________. *

* Hint: The answer is MCC.
Oh pick me, pick me..........

........MCC.....it's MCC......the answer is MCC 8)
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

I, for one, love the KickStarter model.

It allows smaller publishers like Goodman Games to offer a better product with less risk.

Take the 4th Edition reprint for example. Traditional methods would have given me a 4th ed with new art and possibly a leather cover. Anything more would have been a risk for GG to attempt. Thanks to KS I get a leatherbound, signed, gilded book with sewn in bookmarks, a four-panel foldout, and dictionary style cut tabs. Plus, I get four out of print modules and possibly more to come. There's no way they possibly could have offered all of those perks without KickStarter to ensure they won't go bankrupt offering too much.

I hope they do the same for MCC.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Gizrond wrote:I, for one, love the KickStarter model.

It allows smaller publishers like Goodman Games to offer a better product with less risk.

Take the 4th Edition reprint for example. Traditional methods would have given me a 4th ed with new art and possibly a leather cover. Anything more would have been a risk for GG to attempt. Thanks to KS I get a leatherbound, signed, gilded book with sewn in bookmarks, a four-panel foldout, and dictionary style cut tabs. Plus, I get four out of print modules and possibly more to come. There's no way they possibly could have offered all of those perks without KickStarter to ensure they won't go bankrupt offering too much.

+1

In the finest tradition of Metloaf lyrics "You took the words right outa my mouth" :D
Aethelwulf22
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Aethelwulf22 »

Gizrond wrote:I, for one, love the KickStarter model.

Personally I'm not a fan of all the extras...I like my books to be sturdy and durable on good quality paper (with great content and art, of course)...all things Goodman Games does really well and one of the reasons I keep buying printings. But things like fold out panels and tear-out tabs seem a bit gimmicky to me and also have the potential of making the book less durable/more easily damageable and less easy-to-use on the table. This is one of the problems, I think, with Kickstarters....people expecting extras and publishers feeling the need to offer all sorts. Obviously I get others have different opinions...
Wulfgar22 on most other forums

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”