Mutant Crawl Classics (??)

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Mutant Crawl Classics (??)

Post by finarvyn »

A fellow named Jim Wampler is running something he calls “Mutant Crawl Classics” at GaryCon. I don’t know anything about this, but it sounds fun.

http://www.garycon.com/eventsummary.php ... _container

Does Jim post here? I didn't get into either of his sessions at GaryCon and it would be nice to find out more about what he's doing with DCC. 8)

THE MUSEUM AT THE END OF TIME:
Your band of Level-0 humans, mutants, sentient animals, and walking plants have set upon the Rite of Passage in hopes of becoming full-fledged Rovers for your tribes. Venturing through hothouse jungle and across blast glass and desert you soon find the ruins of a green porcelain palace - a treasure trove of ancient artifacts sufficient to satiate desires both subtle and gross. You'll soon rule your tribes, if only you can survive “The Museum at the End of Time.
THE GREAT STONEHELL LAZER MASSECRE:
Play the Michael Curtis adventure that rocked NTRPG Con in 2013. Your merry band of mutant murder hobos have fallen through an unexpected Star Gate and landed in the bowels of Stonehell Dungeon. There’s a way back home somewhere in these dark, dank passages, with just one little problem standing in your way. There are a few hundred strange mutant pig-men and some other new friends who would like to kill you.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Mutant Crawl Classics (??)

Post by Doug Kovacs »

He posts more frequently on the DCC G+ group, https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 2243499289 ,
though he hasn't officially announced anything other than those games

also see: the spellburn podcast Marv.

::http://spellburn.com

You could easily end up in a DCC game with Jim as a player at GaryCon as well, it shouldn't be hard to talk to him outside of the games he's running at the end of March
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Jim also posts here from time to time under the user name of "Mad Mage."
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Doug Kovacs wrote:You could easily end up in a DCC game with Jim as a player at GaryCon as well...
If nothing else, I may try to lurk in on one of his game sessions to see it in play. I tried to keep a bunch of empty space in my Gary Con schedule so that I would have time to wander around a bit.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

Marv - please feel free to stop by one of my games or just catch me outside smoking. I'll tell you all about MCC RPG.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I'm pretty excited to get killed off in THE GREAT STONEHELL LAZER MASSECRE...lol. Huzzah!
Kersus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Kersus »

I was highly interested in this when I saw it in passing! Unfortunately I didn't have time to lurk and see the gameplay. I did get my first chance to play DCC and I'll be interested to see if MCC sees the light of day and will most definitely be looking to play it next year.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I talked to a couple guys at Gary Con who had played and they all had a blast. They stopped by at the Goodman booth to buy a copy of the core rulebook. I wish I had signed up to play in one of the sessions of MCC. (My days were filled with booth-lurking and Metamorphosis Alpha. MCC would have fit in well.)

I did stand and lurk for a while after that at Gary Con. Looked like a fun game session and several of the Goodman Games crew were playing in it. Looks like he's got this developed to the point where some solid playtesting is going on. 8) Jim has a cool GM screen with some MCC artwork on it and a printed rulebook. (He gave a copy to Joseph Goodman to look over.) The rulebook is fairly thin, and I assume by this that it's a "supplement" instead of a full rulebook.

I saw Jim briefly later in the con and asked about MCC but was unable to get a peek at the rules firsthand. (I'm not sure he knew who I was.)

Anyway, everything I saw looked pretty positive.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

facts:

1. This is very real. I have seen it.

2. I've painted the cover for Jim. It will be up to him to share it publicly.

2. Jim has already put a lot of work and play testing into MCC and he is coming from a most sincere place with it.

3. Joseph Goodman is fully aware of whats going on, but has yet to commit to anything, including release dates.

4. This is extent of my current knowledge.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

Yeah listen, if I seem at all tight lipped about this, it's for two reasons:

1.) It's a very early stage project at this point, i.e. initial play tests in small groups. In fact, the two Gary Con games were the first public play tests beyond my DCC group at home.

2.) Joseph and I are in discussions regarding this project, and so I need to respect that decisions regarding what information and when to disclose it need to be preserved as his option.

I made an early decision to personally commission some art from Doug, and then followed through on that commitment because, really, who wouldn't want their very own Kovacs piece to hang on their wall? :mrgreen: Doug's magnificent efforts shouldn't be construed as anything besides a personal art commission by me, which I'm happy to share...

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

That's some awesome art, but of course most of Doug's art is awesome. (I didn't get to see it up close at Gary Con.)

Good luck with this project, Jim. Can't wait to see it when things become more public! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

thanks Marv, It was really cool working on this one.
Need more robots in stuff.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Wow! This is all kinds of awesome. I wanna play MCC so bad!
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

Doug Kovacs wrote:thanks Marv, It was really cool working on this one.
Need more robots in stuff.
Doug, I couldn't agree more :mrgreen:

DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I was fortunate enough to play MCC with Jim at GaryCon, and it was an awesome experience. The DCC mechanics flowed very well in a post-apocalyptic environment. I hope this gets published, as I would buy it in a heartbeat. Doug's art is amazing, as always...and Jim's rule conversions are very well done!

I wonder if the two gentlemen that bought DCC RPG books when Marv was at the Goodman Games booth were the two that I sat next to in Jim's game? I worked on them hard core about the merits of DCC RPG, and let them flip through my book. One of them was from about an hour away from me, and I gave him my contact info to come try DCC RPG at my house sometime. Hopefully, he takes me up on the offer! I will continue to evangelize DCC RPG and now MCC RPG!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

DM Cojo wrote:I wonder if the two gentlemen that bought DCC RPG books when Marv was at the Goodman Games booth were the two that I sat next to in Jim's game?
It's possible. They stopped in and asked a few questions, and then sped off again. I guess their game had taken a ten-minute break and they were in a hurry to get back to MCC.

They had nothing but positive things to say about MCC, and by extension DCC. Actually, it was amazing how many folks were lugging around DCC rulebooks at Gary Con.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Icetower
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Icetower »

Man, I totally forgot to try to get one of those MCC dice at Gary Con, I'm so ashamed!
-Daniel W. Cisek-
See my gaming blog at orcsamongus!
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I was signed up for two, played in one....

...it was fantastic.

This can't get in my hands fast enough.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Icetower wrote:Man, I totally forgot to try to get one of those MCC dice at Gary Con, I'm so ashamed!
They had MCC dice? :shock:
I would have bought some. :(
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

finarvyn wrote:
Icetower wrote:Man, I totally forgot to try to get one of those MCC dice at Gary Con, I'm so ashamed!
They had MCC dice? :shock:
I would have bought some. :(
They weren't for sale; you had to find Jim and roll him for it.

Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Cool die, gotta love custom dice. And those are actually legible too, unlike a lot of them!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

AWESOME ART! Hope this becomes a reality soon.
I would definitely buy this or support it on KS.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Jim -- where did you get custom dice made, and what general cost are we talking about? I think it would be fun to design some dice! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

finarvyn wrote:Jim -- where did you get custom dice made, and what general cost are we talking about? I think it would be fun to design some dice! 8)
From Eric Harshbarger, of whom I cannot say enough good things. He did a really quick turnaround for me and they were about $2 a pop, so cheaper and MUCH faster than any of the traditional sources...

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/dice/
Blackthicket
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Blackthicket »

I played in Jim's game at GaryCon...one of the two guys mentioned earlier that went and bought the DCC book. Thanks to Jim and all the guys at the table for helping my buddy and I out (being D&D only guys at that point) DMCojo did a fantastic job selling the game...a big reason I bought the book and Sailors on a Starless Sea. I have since hooked my son on DCC.

Both my buddy and I didn't think we'd enjoy a post-apocolypse setting, but after Jim's game, we talked a lot about how much we enjoyed it. We'd both buy the materials when they come out. So..thanks Jim and the rest of the gang putting MCC together.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”