super secret project/gary con

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

super secret project/gary con

Post by catseye yellow »

brain hurts from guessing
The Super Secret Goodman Games Playtest

Event ID : 318513
DM Name : Michael Curtis
Game system : Other
DCC RPG
Game Type : Role-Playing Game
Duration : 4 hours
Start Time : Saturday-6:00pm
Maximum Players : 6
Tickets Left : 6
Description : Saturday morning during the "What"s New with Goodman Games?" seminar an exciting announcement will be made. We can't tell you know what we're going to reveal, but we can tell you that you can sign up to be the very first playtesters of an adventure written for this soon-to-be announced game. Bring your polyhedrals (even the funky ones) and get ready to claim some bragging rights when you play in the Super Secret Goodman Games Playtest!
Event Cost (GP) : 0 Points
Event Cost (SP) : 3 Points
Date Added : 01/05/2015
Table Number : Unassigned
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: super secret project/gary con

Post by ajtheronin »

My first reaction was Mutant Crawl Classics...but Mr. Curtis will be the DM. I guess is something else.

I guess is time to save *more* gold pieces to spend on Goodman Games. Good thing my gaming ADD is limited to 3 companies...yes companies not games...:P.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Sorry for the bump but will the game announcement will include a KS? IIRC Metamorphosis Alpha got announced at GC and a KS that same weekend.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

MA was announced in the Saturday morning "Whats new with Goodman Games" seminar....of which there will be a repeat session this year.

I'm in both the seminar and the Super Secret playtest*.

Yeah..I'm gloating...but I didn't get the damn purple ticket...so there!

* It should be noted that my son is the one who, during registration, actually obtained entry into this hallowed event. I, however, claimed parental privilege and will abscond with said ticket that evening!
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

To be more clear...

The description from the event:

"Join Joseph Goodman and the Goodman Games creative staff as they discuss upcoming releases and projects in the works! Last year's seminar included a surprise special guest and announcement of the Metamorphosis Alpha Kickstarter. This year's plans include more special guests and amazing announcements, including a top-secret license that will delight every fan of DCC RPG and Appendix N. And like last year, the announcements may be followed by a Kickstarter announcement, new products going on sale "right now," and other fun events!
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Awesome. I can't go to the Con but I'll F5 stalk this forum, KS and the G+ page for whatever it may be.
Rotten
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rotten »

The secret is a line of DCC beanie babies.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Pony Crawl Classics: Friendship is Magic :D
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

michaelcurtis wrote:Pony Crawl Classics: Friendship is Magic :D
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Gah! Gah! GAHHHHHHHHH!

/runs from thread clutching his head
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

So...AppleJack's special ability of a +1 on Friendship checks...is that +1 or +1d? And on what checks does the -1d Stubborn penalty apply?
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Jim Skach wrote:So...AppleJack's special ability of a +1 on Friendship checks...is that +1 or +1d? And on what checks does the -1d Stubborn penalty apply?
Is funny that:

a) I understand this
b) my wife would finally play an rpg with me if there was such a game. :P
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

So tomorrow is the big news?

"a top-secret license that will delight every fan of DCC RPG and Appendix N"

Looking over Appendix N, ruling out the taken/unlikely stuff... I'd be most excited for stuff relating to Abraham Merritt or Lord Dunsany but those wouldn't require a license as such... having no consistent setting or characters... can't be Vance or Tolkien... not likely to be ERB or Conan or Moorcock or P.J. Farmer... Fafhred and Grey Mouser maybe?
Who is this Gardner Fox guy?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Re: Gardner Fox. I was more familiar w/ his extensive work in comics - he created both the Justice Society of America and the Justice League of America - but he's an Appendix N author for his sword & sorcery novels featuring first Kothar the barbarian, and later Kyrick (also a barbarian).
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

I wonder if it will be something of a sci-fi bent; maybe a Heinlein universe. Or possibly Michael Moorcock's Elric universe. Man, I wish I was at Gary Con. I just have to wait for the news to get released online.
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

Lots of scifi writers in Appendix N... Fred Saberhagen, Poul Anderson, Jack Williamson, Leigh Brackett, Fletcher Pratt... but not Heinlein.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

A French company has Elric's rights and they plan to release the game in English. Then again it can be the Eternal Champion (and a lot of planar stuff) instead of Elric and the Young Kingdoms.

Some 15-ish hours to go.
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

I'm favoring some manner of science fantasy... Purple Planet already aimed at ersatz-Barsoom/ Sword and Planet... Mutant Crawl Classics aimed at PA... something in the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon vein would have my pulse jumping.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Golgothmog wrote:I'm favoring some manner of science fantasy... Purple Planet already aimed at ersatz-Barsoom/ Sword and Planet... Mutant Crawl Classics aimed at PA... something in the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon vein would have my pulse jumping.
Flash Gordon would kick ass and it has old school pedigree (is not related to the D&D family of games but was done back in the late '70s IIRC).
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:Re: Gardner Fox. I was more familiar w/ his extensive work in comics - he created both the Justice Society of America and the Justice League of America - but he's an Appendix N author for his sword & sorcery novels featuring first Kothar the barbarian, and later Kyrick (also a barbarian).
Fox also wrote a series of "Niall of the Far Travels" stories for Dragon magazine, back in the day.

I'm so bummed. Last year I was "in the know" and participated in the Goodman announcement for MA, but this year I'm totally in the dark regarding the secret project. :( (At least, I think I'm in the dark. I know of a few projects in the works, but assume that none of them is "the" secret project.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have it on good authority that the folks planning a Mars colony have tapped Goodman Games to turn the Red Planet into Barsoom, with a bit of Moorcock, Lanier, and other Appendix N authors in the mix. Who knew Joseph Goodman was a Mad Geneticist of that calibre? I am also pretty sure that they are sending Doug Kovacs on a manned trip to Venus to see if ERB was right about that planet, while Harley Stroh is sent on a manned trip to Milwaukee to scour used book stores.

But I could be wrong.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Any news?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The Facebook group just announced the panel beginning, so we should know soon enough.

I still say it will be the Mars-Venus-Milwaukee trips..... :wink: :wink:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Is Lankhmar!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

ajtheronin wrote:Is Lankhmar!
Much happiness! Lankhmar is one of my favorite fantasy worlds of all time! 8)

The Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories read like D&D adventure logs before there was even D&D.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fanditch »

So...is this to be a Lanhkmar campaign setting or a new DCC-based rpg? (Either way...I'm in!)

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”