`How do convert 5e monsters to DCC?

Discuss our growing line of all-new adventure modules for 5E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Lefi
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Wizard Well in Mannheim Germany

`How do convert 5e monsters to DCC?

Post by Lefi »

How can i convert 5e monsters into Dcc monsters Like the Demon lords or Unic npcs?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: `How do convert 5e monsters to DCC?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Lefi wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 am How can i convert 5e monsters into Dcc monsters Like the Demon lords or Unic npcs?
If you are looking at demon lords, you may wish to go the full patron route rather than the monster route.

Otherwise, this offers some general guidelines for conversion: https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2013 ... o-dcc.html

This product offers more extensive guidelines, but if you read the entry, they are ones I find somewhat problematic. Still, a place to start: https://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/2021/ ... guide.html

Related links: https://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/2021/ ... idged.html
https://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/2021/ ... ntory.html

Although it mostly looks at 3e, this Reddit thread also discusses the conversion process (with examples): https://www.reddit.com/r/dccrpg/comment ... wking_ama/

Hope those help!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:28 pm ...
Otherwise, this offers some general guidelines for conversion: https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2013 ... o-dcc.html

Thanks for that link! May I ask: could you briefly expand on this --

"(1) Watch Spellcasters: Remember the core rulebook says that NPCs need not play by the same rules as PCs. Even with that in mind, though, you will probably want to re-imagine any spellcasters in the original work."

Probably it is obvious, but I'm not sure quite what's being highlighted here. Maybe the one-of-a-kind / Appendix N flavor a DCC spellcaster ought to have?
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

serendipitous wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:02 pm
Raven_Crowking wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:28 pm ...

Thanks for that link! May I ask: could you briefly expand on this --

"(1) Watch Spellcasters: Remember the core rulebook says that NPCs need not play by the same rules as PCs. Even with that in mind, though, you will probably want to re-imagine any spellcasters in the original work."

Probably it is obvious, but I'm not sure quite what's being highlighted here. Maybe the one-of-a-kind / Appendix N flavor a DCC spellcaster ought to have?
Spellcasters in other editions/rpgs are not always the best match for DCC. You can keep them exactly as written, if you want, but there is more than a small chance that you will want to adjust their spells and/or abilities to (1) make them match the Appendix N vibe of DCC and/or (2) make them easier to run in DCC.

If you look at the Men & Magicians section of the core rules, you can see that NPC spells do not have to be full spells; they can just be effects. You don't need to follow the appearance of spells as they have appeared in 0e, 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, and 5e D&D (or related games). You may want to give them full spells with spell checks, or you might want to turn the evil wizard's magic missile into a dark streak of energy that does 1d8 damage (Will save dc 13 for half). You may wish to give them death throes.

Basically, you have to watch casters because, in most rpgs, they are both complex and rather boring. Your goal should be to reduce the complexity of actually running them (i.e., you don't also want to drag a 5e PHB to the game to figure out what some spell does) while moving that complexity to something that is actually interesting in play. And that might have nothing to do with combat!

Remember, too, that in a magic-laden world like those described by Wizards of the Coast-era D&D, a wizard needs to be high level to impress the peasants! Not so in DCC. Meanwhile, that 1st level magic-user in AD&D 1e might be statted out as a 0-level character with access to one spell-like effect.

You may also wish to reduce the number of NPCs who actually cast spells. Some of those less important NPCs are just cultists.

Does that help?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm Does that help?
Yes, very much. I'll be going over that explanation to parse it carefully & up my game. Many thanks!

ps --
Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm ... If you look at the Men & Magicians section of the core rules ...
My older son gender-inclusived my DCC & MCC books for Mother's Day. So mine is People & Magicians. :) He's a sweetie.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

serendipitous wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:36 pm
Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm Does that help?
Yes, very much. I'll be going over that explanation to parse it carefully & up my game. Many thanks!
Many you're welcomes!
ps --
Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm ... If you look at the Men & Magicians section of the core rules ...
My older son gender-inclusived my DCC & MCC books for Mother's Day. So mine is People & Magicians. :) He's a sweetie.
Awesome!

It sounds like you have a keeper there!

May you crit often & make all your Luck checks, in life as well as the game!
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Fifth Edition Fantasy - Adventure Modules”