MA Building Types

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

kglaze
Ill-Fated Peasant

MA Building Types

Post by kglaze »

I am writing up a convention scenario which will involve exploring a ruined city. Some of the intact buildings I am including are a Cybernetics Lab, Level Control, Broadcast Power Station and Nano Fabricator Facility.

I was wondering what types of futuristic buildings other GMs have used?

Has anyone had any experience using unconventional building types? Such as moving or floating buildings.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: MA Building Types

Post by finarvyn »

I'll confess that most of my MA scenarios that I've run are more "conventional" (at least in a scifi sense) and I haven't used moving or floating buildings. Sounds like an interesting adventure you're writing, however.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
kglaze
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kglaze »

Usually I run with straight forward buildings here is an example of a Cybernetics Lab I’ve used.

Cybernetics Lab
Description – A square one story building made of dull grey metal. Doors on the North and South walls. Roof access is a ventilation shaft that leads to b. Area around North, East and West Walls are over grown with purple trees and fat stinky bushes with sharp needles.

Access – Door access by Red, Grey and White Bands only otherwise doors are AC8 15hp. North door has functioning camera/laser pistol unit (5 shots in battery). South door has no other security. Bullix/minions will hear second strike on either door.

Interior
a. Lab Control – Controlled by an Android named Amadeus Bullix. If the PCs use stealth to enter he will be here listening to classical music, drinking wine and looking at 3D inspirational posters of cats. Otherwise he will organize defense.

Lab controls are ICL1. Danger Cat2 (electrical overload 5d6 damage injure self/others, 10d6 damage fatality).

Success – Use Bionics chart from pg. 65 Deluxe Collector’s Edition. Only enough material for 5 modifications.

b. Cyber Lab – Bullix’s minions are two cybernetic enhanced muties. Unless altered they are cooking a five-eyed land fish for dinner. Cyber implant machinery takes up half the room.

c. Cryo Chamber – Two tubes, one is occupied by a person captured by Bullix who plans to turn him into a minion. ICL3 (Danger Cat3 (damage as above). Occupant is Tellon Furd a Pure Strain Human. Knows the area will try to join the group if rescued.

Savaging nets 3 Tech Treasures, roll from list.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Nice! I'd love to see more!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
kglaze
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kglaze »

Thanks! Here is one more.

Nano Lab
Description – A round one story building with reflective windows. One door on the West wall. Roof access is an irregular shaped opening (building damage, vapor and frost as listed below) that leads to a. A window on the North wall is smashed out, cold vapor drifts out of the window. Edges of window rimmed with frost. If observed for a short time Freeze Bees will be seen flying in and out of the building.

Access – Door access by Red and Grey Bands only otherwise door is AC8 20hp (windows AC 7 and 12hp). Hitting doors/windows brings the full swarm of Freeze Bees.

Interior
a. Lab Control – The building is infested by a hive of Freeze Bees (Arduin Grimorie, cat sized frosty blue bees AC6, 2HD, Icy Sting WC3 1d8 damage, Queen bee is 4x strong w/Cyro mutation, Freeze Bee honey has random Mutated Substance property). The swarm numbers in the dozens or hundreds depending on GM preference/mood. The bees will attack any who enter the building in waves of 1d10 each round (Queen emerges in round 3) til either side is killed or PCs flee. The temperature in the building is always at about freezing level. The Nano Manufacturer Unit (NMU) is operable, but unstable due to the infestation.

NMU is ICL1. Successful rolls means the PC can roll on the Tech table to build a random device. There is only enough raw material for 2d4 items. No power cells.

Danger Cat 2, if rolled the NMU malfunctions and the Nano De-Replicator targets the PCs for de-replication. (Appearance is a cloudy swarm of nano-bots, low AC, High HP, Damage as per Laser Pistol).

Scavenging nets 1d8 Tech Treasures, roll from list and a pile of 2000 domars (in honor of Dwimmermount).
Morbius
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Morbius »

There's some great ideas here!

I just recently got DungeonCrafter 1.41 working on my Mac and am back using it again to complete a few projects. On my list of to-do's is a five-tower building for GMs to fill in.

Craig J. Brain

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”