DM provided goodies for your newly made savages

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

OttawaTom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DM provided goodies for your newly made savages

Post by OttawaTom »

So after having a great time with Michael Curtis running his Android Underlords at Gary Con VI this year, I'm going to spread the fun by running the module at my local con next month. So I'm busy making some premade characters for my players to use, and I'm encountering that point of character creation where I the GM have to ask, so what do I equip these people with?

So I'm asking for advice from the rest of you MA players, what should be fair game to equip the PCs with? Technical weapons, colour bands, berries that instantly heal, or other strange and outré bits of Warden tech? What do you give the PCs?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: DM provided goodies for your newly made savages

Post by finarvyn »

I like to start players off with low-tech stuff most of the time and let them discover the "good stuff" through play. Helps me control the evolution of the campaign.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

I gave each of the pregens I use in TAU mostly tribal level stuff, but each PC gets two cool/useful items above and beyond. These included healing berries, infrared googles, poison, flashlights, a laser pistol, a protein disruptor, and a color band. Not all were inherently useful in the adventure, but could be used by cunning players in unforeseen ways.

If you give them a color band, I'd advise a brown one--unless you want them to walk right in through the front door without coming up with a plan that takes the referee by surprise!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
OttawaTom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by OttawaTom »

michaelcurtis wrote:I gave each of the pregens I use in TAU mostly tribal level stuff, but each PC gets two cool/useful items above and beyond. These included healing berries, infrared googles, poison, flashlights, a laser pistol, a protein disruptor, and a color band. Not all were inherently useful in the adventure, but could be used by cunning players in unforeseen ways.

If you give them a color band, I'd advise a brown one--unless you want them to walk right in through the front door without coming up with a plan that takes the referee by surprise!
Duly noted, also I now have to plan something appropriate behind a Brown coded door. :)
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

I should clarify that my choice of pregen gear is based on the assumption of a one-shot convention or playtest game. For campaign purposes, everybody starts with tribal weapons and gear. Like Fin says, they should discover the neat stuff through adventuring.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

You could probably use this chart for MA too….. not much magic there if any. Items are mostly for random flavor and for invoking fun things like poodle checks. (listen to the most recent spell burn post cast for an explanation of that)

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 551#p87551

a d200 expanded version of the chart may be posted as a generator somewhere soon, I'm waiting for a metal god to report back to me on that.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Mad Mage
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mad Mage »

Doug Kovacs wrote:You could probably use this chart for MA too….. not much magic there if any. Items are mostly for random flavor and for invoking fun things like poodle checks. (listen to the most recent spell burn post cast for an explanation of that)

a d200 expanded version of the chart may be posted as a generator somewhere soon, I'm waiting for a metal god to report back to me on that.
That's a genius table/list, Doug. I want some Eyes of the Overworld... oh wait. No I don't.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” ~ E. Gary Gygax
OttawaTom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by OttawaTom »

Doug Kovacs wrote:You could probably use this chart for MA too….. not much magic there if any. Items are mostly for random flavor and for invoking fun things like poodle checks. (listen to the most recent spell burn post cast for an explanation of that)

I did and I loved the podcast, it was great hearing about all the other things at Gary Con that I didn't get a chance to play in and the inspired weirdness of the poodle check. I'm definitely giving everybody a couple of rolls on this chart, and including the Eyes. :)

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”